Corsair Community

Question About K70 Firmware Update

007vsMagua

I was having some issues with my K70 recently and it now seems to be fixed, but I recently noticed a firmware update [FW 1.09] in the product page under software. So I saved it and read the attached PDF and did not see a release date.

As my K70 seems to be working ok is there any reason to install this firmware? It seems mostly to be about providing support for USB 3.0. Is there a way for me to check to see which firmware version I'm currently running? Is there more to this firmware update, besides USB 3.0 support, that could be helpful?

The release notes are a bit confusing. Have people been complaining their L.E.D.s are to dim? "Use at own risk.": Is Corsair suggesting that it might be OK to supply more power to your USB 2.0 port above recommendation?

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz300/007vsMagua/ReleaseNotesForFW109_zps22fee15b.jpg

No, Corsair is not suggesting to supply more power to the USB 2.0 port, They are recommending users to use a USB 3.0 port if they (users) want to try it as it provides more power than USB 2.0 which does not support "High Power" mode.

The "use at own risk" probably means due to higher power usage, it may cause problems with the USB port or the keyboard.

• 7 months later...
There is currently no way of checking your firmware for the K70 as there is no software for it.

I realize this is an older post, so at the time it may have been correct.

However since it's the first link that pops up if you enter "corsair K70 firmware" I feel a correction is in order.

There is a way to find out which firmware is currently in use on this keyboard. You just run the firmware upgrade tool, without applying the update itself (i used 1.09). At the top of the screen it will say which version is currently loaded.

In my case I had 1.05 and went to 1.09 just now, so far no issues.

If you perform an update and the power goes out during it, is the keyboard screwed completely?

Also it would be nice to get hard clarification on what danger of high power mode means. Why provide something that could be dangerous and then offer no explanation?

1. Most likely.

2. As the documentation mentions, When the keyboard is in high-power mode, it will exceed the the amount of power a USB 2.0 port can provide. I'm taking a guess that it may damage the USB port/motherboard, the keyboard or both if K70 is plugged into a USB 2.0 port and "high-power" mode is enabled.

Archived