Corsair Community

LL 120 fans Black Vs White LL 120 fans

hsdragoo

I noticed that the white version of the LL 120 has higher specs than the black version any reason as to why this is? I want to use the black version of these fans on a CORSAIR H100i RGB PLATINUM.

Why are the ll 120 fans rated with higher specs?

As to why they have the Special Edition with the higher speed only in white ... can't say. Obviously a product marketing decision by Corsair.

You are probably right there. I am not one for over clocking so Corsair support said I should be ok to use the LL 120 fans for the radiator but they are not the best in the world for radiator cooling. Do you, or anyone else, see any potential issues with using these fans for a radiator?

It is not likely to make more than a single degree of difference between the two fans. You need to get up near 300W heat before the differences become more pronounced. Not too many people can reach that high on their CPU or even close.

That is great to know. my build is currently looking like it will include the ryzen 7 2700x and I was not sure how much heat it put off at stock clock speeds and was hoping that with the ll120s it would be ok as long as everything was at stock speeds.

I did look at some air coolers but since I am using the Crystal 280x case my cpu cooler height is limited.

• 1 year later...

For lighting it makes no difference white vs black LL. They both have 16 LEDs and do the same patterns. They can share a lighting channel/RGB Hub.

For fan speed it again doesn't matter, but I would avoid pairing a white with a black on a PWM header to the Commander. The 4 pin control fan would be dominant and it would make for some unexpected fan speed differences.

For lighting it makes no difference white vs black LL. They both have 16 LEDs and do the same patterns. They can share a lighting channel/RGB Hub.

For fan speed it again doesn't matter, but I would avoid pairing a white with a black on a PWM header to the Commander. The 4 pin control fan would be dominant and it would make for some unexpected fan speed differences.

That makes sense for the lighting. As for the fan speed I am rather new to pc building(this is my first pc build) and I do not quite understand about the PWM header. Could you explain? I have an Asus x570-pro if that helps to explain. Sorry am just trying to be certain I understand. Thanks.

It wasn't clear if you were asking about lighting or speed control.

Many need to use PWM splitters or a PWM hub to connect all the fan power/speed control wires. This is fairly normal any time you have more fans than control headers. However, when you use a splitter or hub, there is one "control fan" and the other(s) follow its lead. Depending on the controller, trying to get two fans with different maximum speeds to do the same thing can be a nuisance. So if you use splitters on the Commander or the MB, don't put the two different fans together. Keep the like speed models paired.

To be clear, the Commander is a 6 port independent fan controller, so you can have 6 different types of fans on there. It's better not to put type A and type B together on the same header.

It wasn't clear if you were asking about lighting or speed control.

Many need to use PWM splitters or a PWM hub to connect all the fan power/speed control wires. This is fairly normal any time you have more fans than control headers. However, when you use a splitter or hub, there is one "control fan" and the other(s) follow its lead. Depending on the controller, trying to get two fans with different maximum speeds to do the same thing can be a nuisance. So if you use splitters on the Commander or the MB, don't put the two different fans together. Keep the like speed models paired.

To be clear, the Commander is a 6 port independent fan controller, so you can have 6 different types of fans on there. It's better not to put type A and type B together on the same header.

Thanks! And both actually. I understand about the lighting more than the fan speed. I get it now because of the fans having different RPMs you don't want them on the same header as it could cause issues.

I get it now because of the fans having different RPMs you don't want them on the same header as it could cause issues.

The pair of fan will do whatever the 'controlling fan' does. That's the one with the 4th pin on the connector pair. If that is the lower speed fan, then all you've done is cap the higher speed fan below its max. If the higher speed fan is in control and you set it above the lower speed's max RPM, it won't go any higher but you may not realize what's happened because only the 4th pin fan reports its speed.

So for RPM based control like the Commander Pro, it's more something to be aware of. For PWM % based control, it can cause uneven fan speeds across the range and you'll never know what speed the other fan is running. Most MB's use PWM % rather than RPM.