Corsair Community

Intel Core i7 5820K and H100i v2 overheats

artbox

Hello, I have built my new workstation 1 year ago and everything was fine until I took it to servise for dust cleaning and thermal paste reapply. then I got it back it started to overheat.

Now the idle temperature of Intel Core i7 5820K package always sticks to 40°C or even obove. The idle temperature of H100i v2 is 35°C. The room temperature is almost 20°C. And then I start working on something like rendering, the cpu hits 70°C temperature and the water cooling temperature hits 45°C and above. After that I get red led light warning. I took my pc to service again and they said to me that everything is ok. But I don't agree with them because I have never cooling pomp temperature above 45°C before. Please someone give me an advice what should I do. Is it really normal pump temp hiting 45°C?

Photo of my setup:

http://imgur.com/a/ovHzQ

The first day after I got my pc back Idle temps were even mutch higher then now :[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_4MEzs9h0g[/ame] [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS1gT35lyuc[/ame]

Also, I didn't do any overclocking for my cpu. So at the moment idle temps aren't above 50°C, but still at 100 % cpu load I don't think that water pump should be above 45°C degree

Your pump speed looks a little low, even for Quiet mode. Make sure the header powering the H100i v2 is set to "Full Speed"/100%/PWM in Q-Fan section of the BIOS or Disabled in the Advanced BIOS/monitoring tab. This will be reset anytime you update the BIOS or if you override the BIOS controls with AI Suite/Fan Xpert.

You coolant temperatures (H100i v2 Temp) will be heavily influenced by room and case temperature, so keep that in mind when making comparisons. However, 45C is a bit warm for a 5820K at stock settings. I can't get that high in a warm room running 4.5 & 4.0 on the cache, albeit with a slightly larger cooler.

Check the easy things first, BIOS and wiring. If those check out, then you'll need to do a little testing.

The pump speed is too low and it should never be below 1800 RPM. What range of speeds to you see?

Ideally run my SIV utility and post the Menu->Hardware->Cooling Status panel after SIV has been running for a while.

Thank you for the advices. I have set the pump mode at performance 1 week ago, at first it was set to quiet. At the moment it shows 2160 rpm, but still cpu idle temp is 40C and the pump idle temp is above 32C

I have just changed the speed to full /100%/PWM in Q-Fan section of the BIOS

and now the pump at quite mode is about 2010 rpm and at performance mode is 3060 rpm. After that, temperatures felt down a little. So is it good to keep pump speed at performance mode or not?

I have just changed the speed to full /100%/PWM in Q-Fan section of the BIOS

and now the pump at quite mode is about 2010 rpm and at performance mode is 3060 rpm. After that, temperatures felt down a little. So is it good to keep pump speed at performance mode or not?

Those are the correct speeds. For most uses, 2000 vs 3000 pump speed won't make much difference. However, a 30-60 minute render may be an exception. Long duration, high load operations may benefit from the extra trips per minute each unit of water can make. The only down side would be a louder pump, but with a render your fans are going to be up too, so you shouldn't hear it. Obviously it is not too difficult to test it and find out. For normal desktop and light/medium loads, I would probably use the lower setting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29729&stc=1&d=1496580560

142 seconds is not really long enough, but all the readings look sensible to me. I too suspect a pump speed of about 2000 RPM should be fast enough.

What happens when you 100% load the CPUs? You could use Menu->Machine->CPU Stress to do this.

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=853900 for how to attach a file/screen image to a post.

1345160031_142secondsisnotreallylongenough.thumb.jpg.c1f57f987e433d79f096cd15c5135cf1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=29747&d=1496678724

After I ran again the cooling status and the cpu stress, this is what I get:

Is there everything ok with cpu temperture or its to high?

When 100% loaded for 10 minutes all the cores are coolant +20/25°C which looks good to me.

Once you stop the load I guess the cores drop quickly, how long for the coolant?

Hmm... I am not completely sure. Obviously the temperatures are safe, however I might have expected you to come in a little lower. I have not used SIV as a stress tester in a little while, but the last time I ran it I could keep all my cores under 60C in a 23C room on a 5930K@1.28v. That is about where you are at, but only at 1.03v. A 280 vs 240mm radiator makes a small difference, but not 10C. I would like to run it again in its current state before asking you to run more tests.

Thank you very mutch for the advices : ) I tried to render 3d scene. This time at cpu 100% load the temperature was higher then previous. It took about 35 min to render and the pump temperature hit the 45C again. After the rendering was finished, the temp of cpu and water pum drop in about 10 minutes. The pump mode was set to quiet. It looks like, if the pump would be at performance mode it wouldn't hit above 45C. But still, shouldn't it be ok in quiet mode?

1129121658_renderingimage_pumptempabove45C_pumpmode-quiet.thumb.jpg.567ffd1240aa57abd0e98f9c3c415362.jpg

880607547_afterrenderingcorestemperaturedropafterabout8minutesandthepumptempdropafter10mi.thumb.jpg.b5cd5861e4a025390ab43a637ad280ce.jpg

The coolant temp rise seems appropriate to me for the level of work and the duration. However, the CPU core temps seem just a touch higher than I would expect. I have some baseline tests from the day I got my 5930K. It was 100F outside and I ran 3 consecutive benchmarks in the late afternoon. At stock settings (3.7 Turbo and about 1.06-1.07v), my average core temps were in the 45-50C range under the worst possible environmental conditions (30C room temp). My core temp delta was 15-20C and it looks like yours is closer to 30C.

I don't see any strange voltage spikes, so the next place to check is the contact between cold plate and CPU. Hard to get the 2011-3 socket wrong, so when is the last time you changed the TIM?

The tim was changed about 1 month ago. I took my workstation for dust cleaning to the same place where I have bought it. I did it only for maintenance check-up, because there wasn't any overheating problem.

And after I got it back, I started to notice that after cleaning it overheats even much more than before. So this is why I am so curious about that temperatures, maybe guys who were making the cleaning, have broke something or did something not like it should be done. After that I took the pc one more time to that place, but they tell me that they don't see anything wrong, and If I want, they can send the water cooler to the warranty servises for a check which could last 2 weeks...

I think we are back to idle coolant temperature (H100i v2 Temp) of 35C in a 20C room. That value is certainly dependent on room temperature. Do you remember what your H100i v2 Temp was at a similar room temp before the cleaning?

Re-reading your earlier photo caption, you stated "after rendering cores temperature drop after about 8 minutes and the pump temp drop after 10 min". The core temperatures should drop instantly when the render load stops, then sometimes you will see a tiny rebound up a few degrees on CPU/core temps as the warmer coolant brings the CPU up a few degrees. So, at 45C coolant temp, I would expect your core temps to idle around 45C when the render stops. The coolant then takes 10 minutes to drop 10C? In your photo, it is still at 41C. Is that after 10 minutes elapsed?

I don't remember what was the temperature of the cooler before. Because there wasn't any need to seek for it. H100i v2 led light indicator never was red, this is why it didn't drew my attention before it :sigh!:

This is the situation while it was rendering at 100% cpu load: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=29753&d=1496700268

And this after the render stops (after 10 min):

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=29755&d=1496700314

On the other hand, as intel i7 5820k is made for overclocking possibility it shouldn't really overheat so much at 3.40 GHz speed. Other users ran it at 4.0 GHz and above with no problem. So If I decide to overclock it, it would be overheating really bad.

In bios fans are set to full speed, the pump speed also looks fine. The room temperture is about 20c. So I can't understand whats wrong. Yesterday, then I was rendering the temperature of all cores was almost 70C.

You aren't overheating and are giving too much consideration to the 'red light'. It is not a sophisticated warning light. It turns red at XX degrees Celsius or whatever value you program into Link. If you were in a 35C room, you would run red at idle.

Since you don't have a baseline for previous liquid temps it is hard to make comparisons. However, the coolant comes down relatively quickly and that is usually the sign of a healthy cooler. Also, the load delta also seems OK.

What I do notice is your motherboard temp (SIV T1 SYSTIN) is 33-35C most of the time. There are other reasons the board temp sensor may indicate an artificially high temperature, but I have an X99 Pro with the same sensor layout and that was not true even when running SLI GPUs. This also seems to be the baseline for your coolant temperature, again suggesting your case ambient temperature is in the 33-35C range. That is a little high for 20C room. It is very case specific, but 5-7C over the room temp is more common when at idle.

It appears your case is set up in a reverse flow layout. The rear fan is the sole intake, with the H100i v2 as front exhaust and a single top exhaust fan toward the front half. I don't see any fundamental problem with doing this, but then again, your case temps are about 10C higher than expected. It might be worthwhile to try a more traditional front intake, top/rear exhaust. You would need to flip the front fans around to face the other direction and the same with the rear fan. It would probably be worthwhile to get another top fan as exhaust, not so much for the total exhaust capability, but because the VRM module above the CPU is typically the warmest item on the board and on X99 it is a good idea to keep a pair of fans above to move heat away. If you have your PC serviced, this may not be of interest to you. On the other hand, you could also complain to the place you took it and explain your CPU temps are now +15-20C higher since they did their work.

• 2 weeks later...
I would never change the thermal paste as a "checkup". Having thermal paste applied by someone else is a bit like having cavity wall insulation fitted ~ you have no idea what they put in or how much they put in! Not to mention how well or badly they removed the old stuff. Unless you are suffering poor temps, or you DIY, then I would leave well alone. If you DIY then you might replace it fairly often but personally I follow the manufacturers recommended on the stuff I use, which is three years.

I can see the coolant is way too hot and also suspect it's RMA time.

If you update to SIV 5.20 it has Menu->Machine->CPU Burnin which will plot the coolant and core temperatures as they change, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=908126 for what to expect.

Archived