Corsair Community

New H100i v2 rattling noise

StuartLee2018AE

Hello everyone, I have just got an rma unit of h100i v2.

After installing, I noticed in bios , no corsair link installed:

CPU q-fan [disabled] = rattling noise at 1400+ rpm

CPU q-fan [advanced mode] , [manual] , min % duty cycle at 85% = no noise at 1200+ rpm

With corsair link USB plugged,

Bios's CPU q-fan [disabled] = will produce noise at startup, only quiet down after corsair link loaded completely in.windows at [quiet] mode and noise came back at performance mode.

I would contact tech support through the same RMA ticket and inform them of the new problem. It should not do that and it is unfortunate a clearly loud unit was send out as a RMA replacement. Perhaps someone from Corsair can speed this along.

I am not sure defective is the right word, since the cooler presumably still conducts heat away from the CPU. However, you should not have to cut voltage to pump to keep it below irritating levels and it is supposed to run at 12v. I am afraid this is one of the more frequent complaints for the current series.

I have found a work around , by disable the Asus CPU- q fan in bios to make it run 12V and then installing corsair link, plug the USB, set to Quiet (pump), and from devices tab of corsair link, and save it to the pump internal memory. Since then, the pump run in Quiet mode since booting until into desktop. Unplug the cable does not affect the pump. In Performance mode, the pump will make tiny rattling or bubble like sound, and the rpm will be maxed. Is that normal for h100i v2?

Well, that's a little different. If you need to put your head in the case to hear it, that is fairly typical of any mechanical/electrical device. At the ~3000 pump speed, nothing is going to be completely silent. You really shouldn't be able to hear it over the fans when focusing on what you are doing and the Quiet/Low speed setting should be difficult to hear without taking special measures. What you are describing sounds like normal operation, although you should keep the 12v/100%/PWM motherboard signal to CPU fan intact.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'll loan this thread because I have a similar problem with about 8 months old H100i V2.

Rattle started after a 2-3 months of usage. Rattle sounds like on the video. Only on low rpm's and usually after a while of gaming, not right after boot. I already got RMA replaced fan but that didn't do the trick. Is it the fan or pump which is making this noice? Can someone from the Corsair pay attention to these problems because I'm not the only one here. @Fauxbeard @Greybeard ?

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6XafsKU-hA[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

So, a bit more internet searching gave the answer that fans are making this rattle when installed horizontal to push air out from the case through radiator. Is it ok that 130€ cpu cooler sounds like a freaking mixer? Feeling like I've been fooled.

Presumably none of these videos are your actual hardware and only one is a H100i v2 suitable for comparison. None of these examples have fan problems. The inverted coarse grinding from rifle/FDB bearing fans (which is about 75% of fans in existence) is subtle, continuous, and generally does not change pitch. All these videos are pump issues. If your unit sounds like the H100i v2 above, then it is also some type of pump issue. Since your sound is variable and not constant, it may be something as simple as air bubbles you can work away from the pump head. Based on the minute information provided, it seems you have the H100i radiator in the roof. Try running the case on its side for a little while to see if it will work itself out. Then you can put back right side up. If that is not effective, you will need to contact Corsair Tech support. Make sure you have set the header connected to the H100i v2 to 100%/PWM or disabled fan control in the BIOS. The unit needs 12v to work effectively.

Archived