Corsair Community

Dominator Airflow Platinum LED Fan PINOUT

fliersrr

Hello,

I have Dominator Airflow Platinum LED Fan and no Commander/Controller unit. It says if you do not have a controller unit you can just plug the LED wire coming from the Dominator fan unit into the jack. This will make the color a constant RED.

I have attached a picture of how they have wired up the LED wire to the FAN wire to make it light up RED.

Here is my question: Can the black or red wire be moved to another location to produce a different color?

Please see attached picture.

Thank you

CORSAIR.thumb.JPG.684d6294d3d87d938b34f26c879a88b5.JPG

The cable should be pretty obvious and you just need to cross connect Green + Blue. I suspect it would take me less time to make one than to make this post.

The tricky part may be getting a socket to plug the Airflow Platinum LED into, I guess you could cut off the one that the red + black wires go into if you don't have one.

You may find http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=872466 helpful

Yes I was wrong in last post. I was reading on AURA controlling some 5v case fans I think it was. They were saying that the motherboard was sending out 12V and what it was hooking to was 5v. This had nothing to do with what you were helping me with. My mistake.

My motherboard manual clearly shows the AURA header pinout to be:

pin1 12V

G

R

B

So probably this Corsair Dominator Memory fan can be controlled by the AURA software like you said as long as I swap the B & G wires when making a cable from the Dominator LED plug to the ASUS AURA motherboard header.

Think I got it through my head :o:

If anything I said above is incorrect let me know. I will now make my cable adaptors from old computer part.

Thank you for you help!

From http://www.corsair.com/en-us/dominator-airflow-platinum-led-fan

Corsair Link integration for personalization and control

Connect the included Corsair Link cable to a Corsair Link control module such as the Corsair Commander Mini (available separately) and download the free Corsair Link Dashboard software. You can control PWM fan speed directly from your Windows desktop, and you can change the color of the LEDs from their default red to any of 16.8 million colors to match your system or your style.

Not sure why you are saying no?

OMG!!!

You have got to be kidding!

The Commander Pro and Lighting Node PRO use 5vdc LEDs.

The Commander MINI and Lighting Node non-pro (must be older version) use 12vdc LEDs.

So PRO means 5VDC LEDs

How to confuse people.......

Thanks for your reply. I was all set to jump in to the Pro because of the USB 2.0 expansion. Guess that is out.

This attached picture is what I am going with.

I have swapped the Green and Blue wires on the Dominator's LED cable and used an ASUS RGB extension cable to get to my motherboards AURA RGB 4-PIN Header. (watching carefully of the connectors orientation).

I think this should work. Thanks red-ray for all your help.

Now to actually install it and see if it works.

2108994148_AURAModification.thumb.jpg.ee4cccd1fa74b6eddfcb1a094a4c71ca.jpg

I suspect in time there may be revised Dominator Airflow Platinum LED Fans with 5V WS2812B LEDs.

OMG!!! You have got to be kidding! How to confuse people.......

I was all set to jump in to the Pro because of the USB 2.0 expansion. Guess that is out.

Yes and I have even come across Corsair staff getting confused.

Maybe not and I wonder if the LEDs could be changed to 5V WS2812B LEDs. I have never seen Dominator Airflow Platinum LED Fans and wonder where the LEDs actually are and if they could be replaced. What do you think and can you post a photo showing their location please?

From http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907769 you should see 3rd party LEDs do work.

• Corsair Employee

So there's a big reason for the switch from the 12V to the 5V LEDs. It wasn't arbitrary.

The 12V RGB LEDs we used to use were a single zone; you change one color, you change the color for all of them.

The 5V RGB LEDs, on the other hand, are individually addressable. Each LED has a little microcontroller inside of it, which allows us to do animations and all kinds of kooky effects.

And while I can't comment on unannounced products, I do think it would be very silly if we didn't produce a 5V Dominator Airflow Platinum.

• 9 months later...

UPDATE: I opened up the unit to remove the LED strips from the fan housing and found they already have a 5050 12v RGB strip inside. After changing color of the wires as above I found you can plug this unit directly into the ASUS AURA motherboard RGB Header and control all the colors. :biggrin:

The fans are wired together and have their own separate wire. They have nothing to do with the LEDs.

Now I can control my older Dominator Airflow Platinum LED Fan unit with my motherboard.

Picture shows unit open and inside is nothing more than a 5050 12v RGB strip.

CIMG5203.thumb.JPG.988d81b7f41a90b1306e1f382c94501d.JPG

CIMG5201.thumb.JPG.6c94816538453818caf35c74b8d73bc8.JPG

Archived