Corsair Community

Corsair SSD Toolbox for Mac

mreg376

So I finally updated my venerable iMac with a Corsair Neutron GTX SSD, and it's running great, with the latest OS X Mavericks, 10.9. Like a new machine. Then I discover that the Corsair SSD Toolbox does not run on OS X. Corsair's support says "just take the SSD out of your Mac and put it in a Windows machine to update the firmware or use the Toolbox."

That's ridiculous of course, as anyone who has even walked past an iMac or MacBook knows that they are not exactly amenable to removing and inserting components. Even though Corsair touts its SSD's as being Mac compatible (which they are), they seem to not want to address the fact that the SSD Toolbox remains a Windows-only utility. Nor does Corsair supply even a one-note mini-utility for Macs that updates the firmware only, as other SSD manufacturers do.

Does anyone know what's up with Corsair and Mac support??

Thanks.

So I finally updated my venerable iMac with a Corsair Neutron GTX SSD, and it's running great, with the latest OS X Mavericks, 10.9. Like a new machine. Then I discover that the Corsair SSD Toolbox does not run on OS X. Corsair's support says "just take the SSD out of your Mac and put it in a Windows machine to update the firmware or use the Toolbox."

That's ridiculous of course, as anyone who has even walked past an iMac or MacBook knows that they are not exactly amenable to removing and inserting components. Even though Corsair touts its SSD's as being Mac compatible (which they are), they seem to not want to address the fact that the SSD Toolbox remains a Windows-only utility. Nor does Corsair supply even a one-note mini-utility for Macs that updates the firmware only, as other SSD manufacturers do.

Does anyone know what's up with Corsair and Mac support??

Thanks.

Sincerely? I'll never buy a Corsair SSD again. The support is disaster, for example, they've posted a "new" firmware in april, and it still doesn't have a change log. And you have to go trough this ordeal if you have a mac. Also, the ones with SandForce controller have never had fixed its issues with nVidia Sata controllers on 2009 MacBooks, they just don't care. The competition issued a fix for those affected with the same problem.

By the way, they even strongly advise to use a motherboard with an intel controller to do the firmware update. It's almost a joke.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm not aware of another SSD maker that has a toolbox app for OS X so you can't really pin that on Corsair as bad service. Firmware updates aren't compulsory, if it's working fine as is, why mess with it?

You're right, other manufacturers may not have a "toolbox app," but they ALL have ways of updating the firmware of drives attached to a Mac. Whether its a small file update program or boot disk. Only Corsair says "take your computer apart to do it."

You're right, other manufacturers may not have a "toolbox app," but they ALL have ways of updating the firmware of drives attached to a Mac.

Thats not true at all! I've just spent the last hour researching this.

OCZ doesn't have a MAC application, neither does Kingston , Crucial, Samsung and quite a few others. I'm not going to post links on Corsairs forum but would be happy to provide them in a PM if you want. But to say they ALL have them except Corsair is a quite a stretch.

Wired I swear I visited every one of those sites before that last POST. I always do . I did go back and find one for OCZ, so i apologize about that one. But the others listed all I could find were windows based and LINUX applications.

Sorry for the mis-information.

Thats not true at all! I've just spent the last hour researching this.

OCZ doesn't have a MAC application, neither does Kingston , Crucial, Samsung and quite a few others. I'm not going to post links on Corsairs forum but would be happy to provide them in a PM if you want. But to say they ALL have them except Corsair is a quite a stretch.

Wrong.

Kingston: http://media.kingston.com/support/downloads/SV200S3_e120506a_FirmwareUpdateProcedure.pdf

OCZ: supports Mac firmware updates for most of their SSD drives

Crucial: you can update firmware on a Mac using a boot CD

Samsung: you can update firmware in a Mac using a USB drive.

ONLY Corsair has NOTHING.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I'm suffering right now since the learn that Corsair has not support for Mac.

Ok, no big deal, working nice BUT what i think is and also what i'm gonna try is, using parallels desktop.

Can make the FW update via Parallels Desktop for Mac? Possible?

Archived