Corsair Community

H115i occasional fan clatter noise

TevleGnirheg

The Corsair H115i which I recently installed occasionally produces a clattering noise from one fan.

The other issue is a turbo whistle sound when it is initially set to performance mode or changed back to balanced mode from performance mode.

This was only noticed after changing the top mounted radiator fans from inflow to an exhaust.

What type of bearings are used on these fans?

What do I do if it becomes unbearable?

The SP140L fans are of the rifle/sleeve/hydraulic bearing type. I suppose you can split some hairs about the differences within those variants, but in grander terms all three are going to have some measure of wobble when inverted (top exhaust). Unfortunately, the SP140L fans have been know to clatter, chatter, and a few other noises. Not all of the above bearing types behave in that way, but you will get far less of this from other bearing types like SS02 or the magnetic version on the ML140 series fans. You don't need a lot of speed, so keep them under 1000 for normal uses including loads. Still, if you are sound sensitive, you might look for a something else in a higher price bracket.

The "turbo whistle" as you call it, is a bit more concerning. I am afraid I do know that noise. It is possible some air bubbles accumulated around the pump exit when you moved things around. You can try shifting the case back and forth (45 deg angles) to literally shake things up. If that does not work, you can try and run it on its side for while and hope it filters itself out. However, that sound is not always mechanical in nature and sometimes there is an electrical component to it. If this won't go away, I would look to the warranty exchange options. That sound is not something you are supposed to live with.

The turbo whistle I was referring to comes from the fans as they speed up or down. Mot sure if any of the motor holding stays or any other protruding metal or plastic stays could cause turbulence. But it resembles my diesel engine turbos when I accelerate.

That is less common and probably electromagnetic in nature. Another reason to upgrade the fans.

ML series fans are definitely low bearing noise in the inverted position. I have many hours with 2 x ML140 up top and on a radiator. Still really reasonable up to 1100. After that you can identify them, but a lot of this depends on your case, other fans, and acoustics.

Archived