Corsair Community

Commander Pro Thermal Probes

Potion_Doggy

You place them wherever you want to measure temperatures. It's impossible to give specific guidance. In general, though, you'll want one in an interior "hot spot" (like above your GPU). The others ... it depends on your system and what you are trying to control.

you don't even really need them. iCue software can read your motherboard temperature sensors just fine. So, set your fans to those instead. No reason to bother with the sensors from what I can realistically tell.

The thermal probes are a native control source for the Commander Pro and thus will work even without the software running, including at boot/restart. Obviously they are mobile and can be placed most anywhere, where as the single motherboard data point is usually fixed and not necessarily in a known location. Not everyone may have a consistent experience with motherboard specific data.

The thermal probes are a native control source for the Commander Pro and thus will work even without the software running, including at boot/restart. Obviously they are mobile and can be placed most anywhere, where as the single motherboard data point is usually fixed and not necessarily in a known location. Not everyone may have a consistent experience with motherboard specific data.

That's good to know. There is so little documentation on the finer points of installing Corsair products it can lead to confusion. I wasn't even away iCue could read the motherboard sensors but was pretty glad when I saw it could.

Again though they aren't needed but it sounds like you get a good benefit if you use one or more. Myself I just zip tied one to a cable in the case which left the probe right in the middle of the case in an open area and use it for all case fans that don't have a fixed rpm.

That's good to know. There is so little documentation on the finer points of installing Corsair products it can lead to confusion. I wasn't even away iCue could read the motherboard sensors but was pretty glad when I saw it could.

While I agree with you that the documentation is lacking, there is a TON of information on the forum here - that little tidbit, for example, is repeated here frequently.

Again though they aren't needed but it sounds like you get a good benefit if you use one or more. Myself I just zip tied one to a cable in the case which left the probe right in the middle of the case in an open area and use it for all case fans that don't have a fixed rpm.

Yeah, that's a good plan. Having one just above the GPU works well too.

While I agree with you that the documentation is lacking, there is a TON of information on the forum here - that little tidbit, for example, is repeated here frequently.

might be true but people shouldn't have to go to forums to figure stuff out. A lot of people are busy and have things to do and expect the information to be there with the product so they can get it up and running and begin using it. It's not a valid excuse, at all.

might be true but people shouldn't have to go to forums to figure stuff out. A lot of people are busy and have things to do and expect the information to be there with the product so they can get it up and running and begin using it. It's not a valid excuse, at all.

I agree with you. The documentation is lacking. This was particularly problematic, for example, with the V2 series of coolers - the instructions never told you how to properly power them. I don't know why you think it's an excuse.

That said, you've obviously found the forum. And since you have time to post and quibble over documentation, certainly you have the time to do a little bit of research and reading on here. There is, after all, a TON of good info here, a goodly bit if which you'd NEVER see in the documentation because it comes from real-world experience. :sunglasse