Corsair Community

HX520 enough for 8800GTX?

1mm3

I am about to purchase the following components and was wondering if the corsair 520w power supply could handle the requirements:

Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 "LGA775 Allendale" 1.86GHz (OC to 3ghz)

Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

**** 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

Lian-Li PC-7 PLUS Black Aluminium Midi-Tower Case (No PSU)

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 775)

MSI GeForce 7900 GTO SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) (OC to gtx speeds)

I WILL be overclocking ALL processor, ram and graphics card

My other MAIN concern is:

If i were to purchase an 8800gtx in the future would the corsair 520w handle it in the above rig?

The 520w is rated to provide 40a on the 3 12v rails

A minimum of 28/30a is recommended together with a minimum 600w PSU for 8800gtx (please correct me if im wrong, and please send me link where i can find proper power requirements for 8800gtx - the above info i have gathered just from reading forums)

Many Thanks in advance

1mm3 :cool:

• Corsair Employee
Your corsir 520 power supply won't do good for 8800GTX you will need 620 see post in this forum

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=32&threadid=1958570&enterthread=y

All I see in your Anandtech thread link is that you got slammed for cross posting. Bad netiquette. ;)

Unless you're talking about what LiLithTecH is saying. But he's wrong. PCI-e specification only allows for a total maximum power of 225W. So it's impossible for a card to consume 260W with current motherboards, etc.

The OP isn't planning on 8800GTX SLI. Only one card? A PSU with only 40A on the 12V rail is enough for a build with a single 8800GTX card. Even says on the 8800GTX box.

Your corsir 520 power supply won't do good for 8800GTX you will need 620 see post in this forum

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=32&threadid=1958570&enterthread=y

I agree with jonnyguru here. The 620HX is only needed if you're going to use two 8800GTX cards in an SLI configuration. But the thread starter is going to get only a single 8800GTX card, then the 520HX is plenty adequate.

• 3 months later...

Hello guys,

Sorry for reviving this thread but this was only thread i got using search.

I`m planning to buy hx520 this (or next) week alongside with my new PC (C2D E4300, gf7950, 2xsata etc)

But today I noticed that i might run into problem. On leadtek site mine GF7950 needs 20A on 12V rail but on your web i see that both hx520 and hx620 has only 18A per 12V rail.

So it is little confusing for me. If 1mm3 can get running 8800GTX which has 30A on rail requirements... :confused:

Is it meant that only 40A limit on all 3 +12 rails is applied? So i can get running stuff that drains lets say 35A on one rail as long as total of 40A is not exceeded?

Because if this is true than the math does not work for me :[pouts:

Thanks for any help. :):

Actually, you didn't read the entire part. It said that a minimum of a 350W PSU with 20A on the 12V rail is required.

The HX520 is a 520W PSU with three 12V rails with 18A each (max of 40A). It merely does that to seperate power to the CPU and PCIe video cards. It's a part of the minimum ATX12V v2.2 standard that this PSU meets.

The GF7950GT is a very weak video card with barely any power requirement.

Hey guys, like the man above, this is also the only place that has talked in depth about this product. My PC specs are all here in my profile thing and are current, I need to know if the 520 can safely and reliably power that setup. Don't get me wrong, I waited all my life to buy a PC Power and Cooling supply and the first one I bought, the 750 quad copper, blew out 29 days after install and took half the fuses in the house with it. Right now, an Antec TruePower 550 is running the system without incedent, but it's only a backup and is going to my brother soon. I read this article here:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38310

I believe they're talking about the 620 there, but figuring I don't have anywhere near that much crap, I figured the 520 would have to easily be able to run my system, I can use the efficiency and lower power to save on bills, besides, the 750 quad was a bit loud. So what do you think?

Archived