Corsair Community

GS600 2013 fan question

ccaution

Hello everyone,

I got a question about the fan on that particular psu of mine: it's stopped while idling, which is normal, and I can get it to start and stay spinnning with some heavy load tasks (prime & gpu folding).

But when I'm just folding the damn thing spins up every minute or so and then turns off. The spin up is a kick start too (full rpm to normal low rpm) so it's rather annoying.

Is that "kick start"* spin up normal? Am I on some temperature/current threshold or something? :/

*should it be 0rpm->let's say 800rpm? Cause mine does something like 0rpm->2000rpm->800rpm every time...

OK I guess I'll rephrase the hole question. My GS600, idles as it should (fan not spinning), spins it fan when in heavy load, but keeps spinning up and down the fan when in semi load (gpus @ load, only). Also all the spin ups goes like 0rpm->2000rpm->800rpm.

Is all this normal?

Here is a video on the spin up / spin down loop on that "semi load" situation. Excuse the poor 5870s ->

• Corsair Employee
OK I guess I'll rephrase the hole question. My GS600, idles as it should (fan not spinning), spins it fan when in heavy load, but keeps spinning up and down the fan when in semi load (gpus @ load, only). Also all the spin ups goes like 0rpm->2000rpm->800rpm.

Is all this normal?

Here is a video on the spin up / spin down loop on that "semi load" situation. Excuse the poor 5870s ->

That is perfectly normal. The fan runs and will stop if temp inside the PSU is dissipated. The fan does not have to run for a long time to exhaust warm air inside the PSU.

Thank you RAM GUY :)

Since being in that "spin up / spin down" sweet spot is rather annoying, here is an advice for future reference, for everyone having the same problem:

Play around with your overall wattage a bit. I undervolted my GPUs a bit, and voilà: the PSU spins up & down far more rarerly now!

And here is a an advice for the engineers: make that time interval a bit longer by default. Let the fan to run a tad longer, so as the temps to go down a bit further, so that the fan can then stay off for more time. Once every minute, can drive a man crazy.

Cheers :)

Archived