I have the following components involved:
- 800D case
- ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
- Noctua CPU Cooler NH-D14 SE2011
- and the memory 16GB Corsair Dominator GT set
My problem is that the Noctua won't fit in neither direction along with the Dominator memory due to the red heat fins. I have researched and seems that the fins can be taken off. My question is whether I will fry the memory by doing so?
My choices are the following:
- take out the fins and install the four memory modules as recommended by ASUS i.e. in the red slots and therefore enjoy the Quad speed
- leave the fins on, and fit the 4 memory modules in the outermost memory slots away from the Noctua cooler. This however implies AFAIK losing the Quad speed capability of the memory since this pattern is not the standard way to install the memory in this ASUS motherboard
- use a different CPU cooler solution :(
Can anyone advice? will removing the fins kill the memory or are these fins just for aesthetics?