The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Hardware Related (Non Corsair Questions) > Cases, Power Supplies and Case Mods

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Birdy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574567
Birdy Reputation: 10
Default Questions re: Corsair AX1200W for Asus Rampage IV Extreme

I have two questions regarding the provision of power from the Corsair 1220AX PSU to the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard. I am hoping someone in the forum can assist me. I have provided background information in each question to help explain the issues. :)

QUESTION 1. On pages 2-2 and 2-3 of the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard User Guide, it indicates that the motherboard has three primary power connectors as follows: ATX power connectors (24-pin EATXPWR, 4-pin EATX12V_1; 8-pin EATX12V_2). HOWEVER, on my ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, while there are 24-pin and 4-pin connectors, there is not an 8-pin EATX12V_2 connector; the 8-pin has been changed to a 4-pin connector (EATX12V I think). The Corsair 1200AX comes with one ATX 24-pin cable and two 8-pin EPS12V CPU cables, each of which can be split apart into two 4-pin cables. I was planning on using one as a 4-pin connector (leaving the extra 4-pin part hanging in the air) and the other as an 8-pin connector for the motherboard. ASUS support does not seem to know about this change to their motherboard (I had to send them a picture which I have attached). As you can see in the attached pictures, there is a plastic cover with the number 29 etched into it that covers the other 4 pins of the 8-pin connector, thus making the 8-pin connector into a 4-pin connector. Given this UNDOCUMENTED change to the ASUS motherboard I have split each of the two 8-pin power cables according to Corsair's instructions and used one part from each cable to attach to each of the two 4-pin ports.

MY QUESTION IS: Is this the correct method (i.e., using two 8-pin power cables split into two parts) for connecting power to the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard?

QUESTION 2. On pages 2-2 and 2-3 of the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard User Guide, it indicates that the motherboard has two EZ Plug connectors (6-pin EZ_PLUG_1 and 4-pin EZ_PLUG_2) that are used to provide additional power when installing four PCIe 3.0 X 16 display cards (using the 6-pin EZ Plug 1) and to supply stable power supply to the DIMMs (using the 4-pin EZ Plug 2). I have a single graphics card ASUS HD7970 DC2T so it appears I do not need to connect any power to the 6-pin EZ_Plug_1 connector on the MOBO. I have 8 sticks of RAM, so I have connected a Corsair 4-pin Molex power cable to the motherboard using the Corsair Floppy Adapter cable supplied by Corsair that has 4-pins that fit onto your ASUS motherboard 4-pin EZ_plug_2.

MY QUESTION IS: Is this the correct way to connect the Corsair power supply to the 4-pin EZ_Plug_2 connector on the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard? If it is not the correct method, then what is the correct
way to do this?

Sorry for being so long-winded about this! :)
Old 05-21-2012, 07:48 PM

POST ID # = 579789
vaultboy Reputation: 10

Did you ever find the answer to your first question? I'm using the AX850 and ran into the same issue with the same mobo.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:48 PM

POST ID # = 586173
db2_2012 Reputation: 10

I would like to know what answer you found as well. I'm about to be unpacking this board and an AX850 on Monday.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:22 PM

POST ID # = 605068
aislanmo Reputation: 10

Birdy,

you could solve the problem connecting to the ez plug?

I have the same problem!!

Tks

Tags
asus rampage iv extreme, ax1200, ez_plug, power