The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Software Related (Non Corsair Questions) > Windows Vista / 7

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 08:10 PM
milkyjoe01's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564004
milkyjoe01 Reputation: 10
Default Access denied

Can anyone please help!! I've just re-installed windows7 on my pc, i'm the only user so there's no need for passwords, denying access/permission to folders, etc. but for some strange reason i keep getting 'Access is denied' on folders such as documents & settings folder, the start menu folder (that's in the program data folder) & others, there is quite a lot really. Some folders that i'm trying to access have padlocks but some don't! I can use the individual method for changing ownership/permission through properties/security/owner but it doesn't always work. Is there some universal/general method or setting that will give me access to ALL folders as i am the only 1 who has an account on my pc (apart from the guest acc. but that's turned off) and i am the administrator. Its strange because i've never had to do this before. Its driving me insane clicking on a folder only to be told: 'C: Program Data/ Start Menu is not accessible. Access is denied'!! Please help.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:59 AM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564069
Synthohol Synthohol Reputation: 103
Send a message via AIM to Synthohol Send a message via Yahoo to Synthohol

thats because you upgraded from XP. win7 has a USERS folder not D&S. you should be able to logon as administrator and allow permanent access to the folders.
read the last post on this page it may help. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...es-delete-help

System Specs as of 6/17/10
Old 02-26-2012, 01:20 PM
milkyjoe01's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564115

What gives you the impression that I've upgraded from xp? It's a full retail copy of win 7 with both 32 & 64 bit versions. I've had it for just under a year & re-installed about 3 or 4 times since I've had it. Since I had my x58, i7 system last year I've only ever installed win 7 (64bit) on it using my retail disc, it's never had xp on it since I built it that is what's puzzling cuz it's never done this before, I've always been able to access all files & folders so I was hoping there's a setting that I can make to give me access to them all eithout ding it on each individual file & folder. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 PM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564148
Synthohol Synthohol Reputation: 103
Send a message via AIM to Synthohol Send a message via Yahoo to Synthohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by M$
Question
Why is "Documents and Settings" folder hidden and inaccessible?

Short Answer: Because it doesn't actually exist. Please do not try to access it, you will break your operating system if you try, and you will lose the ability to run many programs or worse.

Why? The Short Story:
The Documents and Settings folder doesn't really exist in Windows 7. It's only there to trick bad programs into redirecting to the correct place (the Users folder). Apparently it also tricked you. It's not a real folder, don't try to access it.

Or if you prefer, here is the Long Version:
The Documents and Settings folder first came into existence back in Windows 2000. In an effort to shorten the path name (there is a limit to how many letters long it can be) as well as to create other languages of the operating system for worldwide use, this folder was renamed to just users back in 2006 with the release of Windows Server and Windows Vista.

Programs built the right way, which doesn't depend on the actual name or spelling (or language) of the user path work fine, because they use the %userprofile% variable. However, many programs were built the wrong way. They absolutely depend on the existence of a folder called "Documents and Settings" spelled in English. This programs will crash if they don't find the folder they want. So to keep these program from crashing, Microsoft created a fake folder (called a Junction Point) that re-directs these programs over to the user folder. So if a program thinks it saved a file to c:\documents and settings\joe\desktop -- the file will actually get saved to c:\users\joe\desktop. The program never even knows it got tricked.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c?tab=MoreHelp and
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-1a5b6a5198bd/ have a read.

after checking my virgin install of 7 with system files and folders unhidden i see them both.
after checking i also see the 2 folders are exact mirrors of each other!!
i added a file on one it showed up in both, i deleted another file on the other and it was gone from both.
seems to be some M$ security phenomenon!
i did have the option at one point to allow access to the D&S folder, i forgot how though, may have been in safe mode?
see the pic below...
dont worry about getting in the D&S folder, it does not matter, you delete from one it deletes from both.

run the same check yourself and see :)
the D&S folder may have been hidden at install but i allow viewing of everything from folder options.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg same.jpg (99.3 KB, 608 views)

System Specs as of 6/17/10

Last edited by Synthohol; 02-26-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:46 PM
milkyjoe01's PC Specs

POST ID # = 564175

Wow!! You certainly know your stuff. I like to consider myself an enthusiast where hardware is concerned but with regards to software I am a complete & utter novice. Thanks for the info. Not sure if this would make any difference but all my previous installs were win 7, HP 64 bit, with the anytime upgrade to ultimate (got an unbelievable deal) but this time I haven't used the upgrade key yet so I'm still in HP. The start menu & app data are 2 folders that I know I definitely had access to in my previous installs without unblocking them. It just seems like there are more folders with padlocks on than previous installs but I haven't done anything different.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:49 AM
Dakron's PC Specs

POST ID # = 574437
Dakron Reputation: 10

The folders both deal with backwards compatability with prior versions of windows XP etc but are not used by Win7. Deleting the folders deletes your abiltiy to use older software. Found the same thing and researched it until I found that they only show if you have all folders showing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: