The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Hardware Related (Non Corsair Questions) > Cases, Power Supplies and Case Mods

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 03:49 AM

POST ID # = 543703
benyben Reputation: 10
Default How do I build my own computer case?

Hello good people.
Great fun to be here in this inspiring forum.

I am a completer amateur when to this field. I was wondering if I can build my own computer case. Cheap materials will be great. But... how do I even start?

Where would one buy, for example, cheap wood (i was thinking of making the case from wood, assuming it's cheap - but what do I know? I am here to hear what YOU have to say), that would be custom to my chosen size and so on.

In essence, I have this concept in mind about how a computer case SHOULD be like, and since I have some free time on my hands right now, I was thinking - I will just try and built one myself. I know it's not going to be a good one, but i'll learn a thing or two while I am at it, and maybe improve.

THANK YOU ALL for your help
Old 11-27-2011, 05:09 PM
h+
FlawlessSoul's PC Specs

POST ID # = 543788
FlawlessSoul Reputation: 10

To begin with, you'll need to deduce the dimensions for every part of the case (such as drive width, motherboard mount spacing, backplate size, etc.) and then choose your material.

Wood has problems, in that it can warp and change shape. You wouldn't, for example, want to mount your motherboard to a piece of wood. It's the reason most cases that involve wood are cosmetic shells around an internal metal frame. That, and stability and ease of construction. It's a lot easier to build the framework out of metal and add wood panels to the outside than try and apply joinery to such an endeavour.

Acrylic is a much better construction material, especially for your first go.

Your best bet, however, is likely to start with a cheap case and mod it (with wood or acrylic panels, for example) instead of building one from scratch.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:21 PM
x509's PC Specs

POST ID # = 543838
x509 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
To begin with, you'll need to deduce the dimensions for every part of the case (such as drive width, motherboard mount spacing, backplate size, etc.) and then choose your material.

Wood has problems, in that it can warp and change shape. You wouldn't, for example, want to mount your motherboard to a piece of wood. It's the reason most cases that involve wood are cosmetic shells around an internal metal frame. That, and stability and ease of construction. It's a lot easier to build the framework out of metal and add wood panels to the outside than try and apply joinery to such an endeavour.

Acrylic is a much better construction material, especially for your first go.

Your best bet, however, is likely to start with a cheap case and mod it (with wood or acrylic panels, for example) instead of building one from scratch.
On another board, hardforum, there is a section devoted to cases. There is at least one interesting thread there about building a wooden case from scratch. The guy is a highly skilled woodworker. My guess is that he is either a finish carpenter or a cabinetmaker.

Moderator: I hope I'm not breaking any rules of this forum by mentioning another forum.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 544225
Wired Reputation: 16

Nothing wrong with mentioning http://www.hardforum.com :)
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 PM
x509's PC Specs

POST ID # = 544370
x509 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
Nothing wrong with mentioning http://www.hardforum.com :)
Thanks!