Corsair Community

Dummy RAM modules with LED

Techial

So everyone knows there's this new craze about putting LEDs on everything, well that includes RAM.

In fact, I quite enjoy this craze as some modules look astonishing! (Looking at you Vengeance LED)

maxresdefault.jpg

and

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/~/media/185F5D82A05048A4876881AE90DAD92B.ashx

Just look at this, there are honestly no words to describe how beautiful this is!

However, there's a slight problem!

A lot of motherboards today are dual-channel, so to squeeze the most performance out you'll need to be running with two good sticks only.

This leaves a gap between the RAM sticks open, which in my opinion doesn't really look nice.

What I would like (and many others) are dummy sticks to fill up those unused spots. Everyone loves looking at those systems filled with lots of RAM sticks with flashing lights, so why not be able to build a high-performance system as well as a good looking one? They would be a lot cheaper to produce as well.

A dummy stick with LED might be hard to make without causing some BIOS issues, but hopefully this can be resolved in some smart way.

Would any of you reading this like a product like that? (Dummy RAM stick, maybe of the Corsair Vengeance LED; the sexy one)

Share your thoughts in the thread.

EDIT:

Apparently, Reddit is backing up the idea.

Edited by Techial

• Corsair Employee

The main concern I can see brought up by having dummy modules in the wild is that a customer could mistakenly buy them thinking that they are an actual kit of DRAM.

There's also the possibility of people using the modules for more nefarious purposes such as swapping them out for a kit of actual DRAM for RMA/returns and reselling platforms like Craigslist/eBay.

It's a cool idea and I can see it make its way into a neat mod, but the risk of mischief is seemingly quite high.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm not the best designer (I'm extremely terrible at it haha), but would something like a giant "window" in the middle prevent it from looking like RAM stick so you can't use it to scam people, and still be cool to put in? (Maybe put some RGB lights around the "window" edges").

Here's a quick paint file I made in 15 seconds showing a rough idea of how it could look like. (The gray being a see-through window)

http://i.techial.net/20170722121942.png

Edited by Techial

The main concern I can see brought up by having dummy modules in the wild is that a customer could mistakenly buy them thinking that they are an actual kit of DRAM.

There's also the possibility of people using the modules for more nefarious purposes such as swapping them out for a kit of actual DRAM for RMA/returns and reselling platforms like Craigslist/eBay.

It's a cool idea and I can see it make its way into a neat mod, but the risk of mischief is seemingly quite high.

Maybe it could have "THIS IS NOT RAM" or whatever printed on the side, if that won't be visible when in use.

• 1 year later...

Make the Fake RAM distinguishable from real RAM from the sides at least the top needs to match the real RAM but if there is an engraving in the dummy RAM sticks on the side then it makes it harder for people to resell them as real RAM sticks

EDIT also I think £40 is a little too steep I would pay £35 max for it especially since it is worth as much as the Lighting Node Pro and I have seen it for that low of a price before

Edited by Z.S

They are a bit expensive, but a lot cheaper than additional RAM modules. I've currently got 2 pair of 16GB RGB Pro's (32GB), but I don't like the gaps. I don't really need anymore RAM, so these will do fine, just ordered some and will report back once I've got them and fitted them.

• Corsair Employee

Good to see this thread again... ;)

So first off,

The Light Enhancement Module kits have a different part number on the rear label to distinguish them from normal modules while still looking as close to identical to a normal kit of RAM as we can allow, we are keeping an eye on this though and can tweak this if we notice that users are getting these mixed up with normal kits of DRAM.

Second,

We already have an accessory that adds RGB lighting to non-RGB memory (when connected to Commander PRO or Lighting Node PRO). You also get the added benefit of additional cooling for your RAM and other components directly on your mobo!

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/Dominator-Airflow-Platinum-RGB-Fan/p/CMDAF2

attachment.php?attachmentid=34701&stc=1&d=1544550786

The above is actually the newest version, we have an older version of this that is also RGB (single zone instead of individually addressable) for users with Commander Mini. You'll notice that this older version is called Airflow Platinum LED (instead of RGB), it'll also have the older version of the CORSAIR Sails logo.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Memory/DOMINATOR%C2%AE-Airflow-PLATINUM-LED-Fan/p/CMDAF

attachment.php?attachmentid=34702&stc=1&d=1544550793

domplat_airflowrgb.jpg.211e1f2ed731d0d72c6e75f4e06654d5.jpg

domplat_airflowled.jpg.7c3c70672dbe5683ccbfb300bad2f996.jpg

Edited by Corsair CJ
Clarification.

I have both those units lol. both work well at what they do but to cover up the beauty of a full set of Dom Plat Pro's would be a sin lol.

But then again.... there are those that would say RGB on Dom Plat Pro in any way would be a sin anyways lol....

Apologies if this is a dumb question but does this statement -

*This Light Enhancement kit does not contain any DDR4 memory. A separately purchased Vengeance RGB PRO Memory Kit is required for your system to function.

- mean that I need to have existing Vengeance RGB modules for these to work or will they work alongside existing memory modules? I just have plain old non LED Vengeance DDR4 modules currently in place.

Many thanks

Edited by 6297J

I got my light enhancement kit today, and fitted along side my Vegeance Pro RGB. iCue picked it up straight away and treats it the same as the normal ram and all effects are available. Overall I'm happy with the kit and would recommend it. The blue dimms are the light enhancement kit.

2085586030_20181214_210756-Copy.thumb.jpg.3667355edc8300ac73b75d5b0fb2f431.jpg

Edited by videodj

Apologies if this is a dumb question but does this statement -

*This Light Enhancement kit does not contain any DDR4 memory. A separately purchased Vengeance RGB PRO Memory Kit is required for your system to function.

- mean that I need to have existing Vengeance RGB modules for these to work or will they work alongside existing memory modules? I just have plain old non LED Vengeance DDR4 modules currently in place.

Many thanks

I can answer my own question -

Yes - it works beautifully

but

No - you can't use two with an IX Hero MB with an NH-U14S cooler - only one will fit. But it still looks great.

• 9 months later...