Corsair Community

Black Screening / Video Card output switching off from iCUE

WhiskeyOmega

If you have the temp sensors on the CoPro, you can use those as the temperature source for the fan curves. I don't see it in your system specs but I'm assuming that your system is liquid cooled - so the CPU temp isn't really a good source for your system anyway. Internal ambient temperature and coolant temperature would be better - they are less variable, less likely to be "jumpy", indicative of what the fans are actually cooling AND you'd be able to disable CPUIDSDK which seems to eliminate the black screen issue.

Something to bear in mind specifically with the i7 3930K is that there are three steppings of the CPU.

Only stepping C2 has hardware VT-d.

There are generally two settings in the BIOS for virtualization support for the CPU.

I'm running a C0 stepping 3930K (which overclocks like a BOSS!) and I get no black screens at all.

Since Intel changed aspects of the CPU with stepping C2 to fix hardware VT-d it is possible that there is some difference with all aspects of VT between all steppings.

So... you might have a C2 CPU with VT-d OFF but VT-x ON and get black screens (if that is the cause).

What steppings and VT-d/VT-x settings are people running?

Sorry if I'm somewhat tardy to this party, but just encountered this issue last night and decided to take advantage of a new install to do the tests.

Disclaimer: I'm aware of the unusual setup and "unsupported" OS, however I thought since I moonlight as a tester, have a different configuration than most, and my install is brand new, my test results might be useful to the devs in narrowing down the problem. I've provided as much detail as possible to that effect.

tl;dr: Skipped test 1, tests 3 and 5 resulted in crash, tests 2 and 4 did not. Running with cpuidsdk.dll renamed appears to prevent crashing. The detailed log is as follows:

System configuration (all purchased new, retail, ages shown):

-ASUS x-470 Prime (1 week), BIOS version 4011 (most current, as received)

-AMD Ryzen7 2700 (1 week)

-16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (1 week)

-Saphire Radeon 4870HD (unknown age, running latest stock driver, not Catalyst)

-Corsair CX750M PSU (2 weeks)

-Corsair Glaive RGB (1 day)

-Win7 x64 (stable fresh installation, approximately 1 week old)

-System tested under gaming conditions less than 24 hours before new mouse installation with no issues.

-All updates installed and drivers are all updated to most current available.

-iCue downloaded upon installation of mouse according to in-box instructions. Installed successfully as expected.

During initial configuration, I found that the Temperature setting, when monitoring the CPU, would always indicate red, despite the CPU being between 39 and 45. Motherboard LED effects set to monitor CPU temperature indicating below 45 consistently with fans running at system-goverened reduced speed. When set to monitor the graphics card temperature, LED effects indication appeared to be correct and would change if setpoints were altered.

Crashes began after completing initial configuration under admin and sub-admin accounts. Initial crash caused black screen (video out; monitor reports no signal); keyboard, mouse, and USB network adapter all disconnected (no power). Motherboard completely unresponsive to all buttons (power and reset). Error indicators on graphics card all lit (red x3, experience suggests this indicates a general system fault). Had to shut off system via PSU switch. Reboot completed normally. Second crash caused disconnection of mouse and black screen with same conditions as before. Keyboard disconnected upon attempting input. USB network adapter appeared to be connected electrically but with no system access evident (steady status LED). Consecutive crashes occurred in similar fashion. All require forcible power down via PSU switch. Gut feeling says it's a hardware polling issue.

Test 1:

Did not perform. All following tests done with pre-existing monitoring/control applications installed and unmodified from previous known good, standard settings.

Test 2:

Loaded Windows Services. Noticed that mouse LED lighting turned off but came back on. Attempted to stop service. Initially was unable to, Windows error indicates service did not return an error. Second attempt to stop service was successful. Disabled service, rebooted. Mouse lights were initially on during startup, but went out upon completion of system start. Confirmed neither Corsair.Service.EXE nor Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.EXE were running. iCue running. Brough iCue to foreground via systray icon. Encountered error regarding profile conflict. Used "Save" option to recover profile, mouse LED effects still out. Attempted changing profile, found that Gradient, Solid, and Temperature no longer function; others work normally. Temperature no longer has selection menu for monitored sensor. Found warning in iCue: "Failed to start CLink service". Attempted to restart via button, warning returned after short period. Functionality of iCue otherwise seems normal; was able to re-set default DPI setting. Did not encounter crash during use (approx 20 min).

Test 3:

Performed as instructed. Completed reboot without incident. Verified conditions were met. Noted mouse LED lighting effects now working (default color). Crash occurred after approx. 5 min.

Test 4:

Performed as instructed. Reboot completed without incident. Verified conditions were met. Noted LED lighting effects working (default color). Used system monitoring application (ASUS AISuite) without issue. System stable after over 40 minutes of use (idle, adding to this log, and read the test reports in the thread), no issues.

Test 5:

Performed as instructed. Reboot completed without incident. Verified conditions were met. Mouse LED lighting effects unchanged. Crash occurred in under 5 mins with virtually no usage.

Rebooted system, reverted to Test 4 state. Corsair services running as before. System run for approx 30 mins with no issue. Loaded iCue, again encountered Profiles Conflict error. Used "Save" option without issue. LED light effects went dark. Set new color profile (solid color, different from default) without issue. Found Solid and Gradient not working but Temperature now does. Selection menu for Temperature source now only shows graphics card but effects work as expected. Chose setting, changed midrange to 45. Left iCue running minimized. No change after approx. 20 mins. Ran system for over 40 mins, no issues.

**iCue side note: discovered that if any of the button assignments under "Actions" are highlighted, the highlighted button does not work unless you click out (clear highlights). This persists even if the Actions tab is not selected and iCue is minimized to the systray.**

Re-enabled iCue "Start on system startup". Noticed that the "Enable SDK" was enabled where it may not have been previously. Rebooted.

Reboot completed without issue. Corsair services and iCue all running. Loaded GUI via systray icon and again encountered "Profiles conflict" error. Using "Cancel" option and going into Settings tab caused iCue to hang. Terminated iCue forcibly. Restarted iCue, used "Save" option, re-selected DPI setting, iCue working same as after reverting from Test 5 to Test 4 state.

System ran normally for rest of night. No crashes experienced. Currently running with cpuidsdk.dll renamed to cpuidsdk.dll.bak with no apparent issues.

Hope this is helpful.

Something to bear in mind specifically with the i7 3930K is that there are three steppings of the CPU.

Only stepping C2 has hardware VT-d.

There are generally two settings in the BIOS for virtualization support for the CPU.

I'm running a C0 stepping 3930K (which overclocks like a BOSS!) and I get no black screens at all.

Since Intel changed aspects of the CPU with stepping C2 to fix hardware VT-d it is possible that there is some difference with all aspects of VT between all steppings.

So... you might have a C2 CPU with VT-d OFF but VT-x ON and get black screens (if that is the cause).

What steppings and VT-d/VT-x settings are people running?

Mine is 4 (4930k).

VT-x enabled, VT-d disabled.

Edited by Nimce
Adding details

Sorry if I'm somewhat tardy to this party, but just encountered this issue last night and decided to take advantage of a new install to do the tests.

Disclaimer: I'm aware of the unusual setup and "unsupported" OS, however I thought since I moonlight as a tester, have a different configuration than most, and my install is brand new, my test results might be useful to the devs in narrowing down the problem. I've provided as much detail as possible to that effect.

tl;dr: Skipped test 1, tests 3 and 5 resulted in crash, tests 2 and 4 did not. Running with cpuidsdk.dll renamed appears to prevent crashing. The detailed log is as follows:

System configuration (all purchased new, retail, ages shown):

-ASUS x-470 Prime (1 week), BIOS version 4011 (most current, as received)

-AMD Ryzen7 2700 (1 week)

-16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (1 week)

-Saphire Radeon 4870HD (unknown age, running latest stock driver, not Catalyst)

-Corsair CX750M PSU (2 weeks)

-Corsair Glaive RGB (1 day)

-Win7 x64 (stable fresh installation, approximately 1 week old)

-System tested under gaming conditions less than 24 hours before new mouse installation with no issues.

-All updates installed and drivers are all updated to most current available.

-iCue downloaded upon installation of mouse according to in-box instructions. Installed successfully as expected.

During initial configuration, I found that the Temperature setting, when monitoring the CPU, would always indicate red, despite the CPU being between 39 and 45. Motherboard LED effects set to monitor CPU temperature indicating below 45 consistently with fans running at system-goverened reduced speed. When set to monitor the graphics card temperature, LED effects indication appeared to be correct and would change if setpoints were altered.

Crashes began after completing initial configuration under admin and sub-admin accounts. Initial crash caused black screen (video out; monitor reports no signal); keyboard, mouse, and USB network adapter all disconnected (no power). Motherboard completely unresponsive to all buttons (power and reset). Error indicators on graphics card all lit (red x3, experience suggests this indicates a general system fault). Had to shut off system via PSU switch. Reboot completed normally. Second crash caused disconnection of mouse and black screen with same conditions as before. Keyboard disconnected upon attempting input. USB network adapter appeared to be connected electrically but with no system access evident (steady status LED). Consecutive crashes occurred in similar fashion. All require forcible power down via PSU switch. Gut feeling says it's a hardware polling issue.

Test 1:

Did not perform. All following tests done with pre-existing monitoring/control applications installed and unmodified from previous known good, standard settings.

Test 2:

Loaded Windows Services. Noticed that mouse LED lighting turned off but came back on. Attempted to stop service. Initially was unable to, Windows error indicates service did not return an error. Second attempt to stop service was successful. Disabled service, rebooted. Mouse lights were initially on during startup, but went out upon completion of system start. Confirmed neither Corsair.Service.EXE nor Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.EXE were running. iCue running. Brough iCue to foreground via systray icon. Encountered error regarding profile conflict. Used "Save" option to recover profile, mouse LED effects still out. Attempted changing profile, found that Gradient, Solid, and Temperature no longer function; others work normally. Temperature no longer has selection menu for monitored sensor. Found warning in iCue: "Failed to start CLink service". Attempted to restart via button, warning returned after short period. Functionality of iCue otherwise seems normal; was able to re-set default DPI setting. Did not encounter crash during use (approx 20 min).

Test 3:

Performed as instructed. Completed reboot without incident. Verified conditions were met. Noted mouse LED lighting effects now working (default color). Crash occurred after approx. 5 min.

Test 4:

Performed as instructed. Reboot completed without incident. Verified conditions were met. Noted LED lighting effects working (default color). Used system monitoring application (ASUS AISuite) without issue. System stable after over 40 minutes of use (idle, adding to this log, and read the test reports in the thread), no issues.

Test 5:

Performed as instructed. Reboot completed without incident. Verified conditions were met. Mouse LED lighting effects unchanged. Crash occurred in under 5 mins with virtually no usage.

Rebooted system, reverted to Test 4 state. Corsair services running as before. System run for approx 30 mins with no issue. Loaded iCue, again encountered Profiles Conflict error. Used "Save" option without issue. LED light effects went dark. Set new color profile (solid color, different from default) without issue. Found Solid and Gradient not working but Temperature now does. Selection menu for Temperature source now only shows graphics card but effects work as expected. Chose setting, changed midrange to 45. Left iCue running minimized. No change after approx. 20 mins. Ran system for over 40 mins, no issues.

**iCue side note: discovered that if any of the button assignments under "Actions" are highlighted, the highlighted button does not work unless you click out (clear highlights). This persists even if the Actions tab is not selected and iCue is minimized to the systray.**

Re-enabled iCue "Start on system startup". Noticed that the "Enable SDK" was enabled where it may not have been previously. Rebooted.

Reboot completed without issue. Corsair services and iCue all running. Loaded GUI via systray icon and again encountered "Profiles conflict" error. Using "Cancel" option and going into Settings tab caused iCue to hang. Terminated iCue forcibly. Restarted iCue, used "Save" option, re-selected DPI setting, iCue working same as after reverting from Test 5 to Test 4 state.

System ran normally for rest of night. No crashes experienced. Currently running with cpuidsdk.dll renamed to cpuidsdk.dll.bak with no apparent issues.

Hope this is helpful.

Another crash with an AMD processor, that's interesting...

So it's becoming more and more clear that this is not an AMD/Intel issue, but maybe an ASUS issue instead.

Another crash with an AMD processor, that's interesting...

So it's becoming more and more clear that this is not an AMD/Intel issue, but maybe an ASUS issue instead.

Yet ... I have an Asus and don't see it. So it's not all Asus boards.

But yeah, it's definitely something odd. The more info we get, the better the dev team can narrow down the exact root cause.

Mine is 4 (4930k).

VT-x enabled, VT-d disabled.

Yet ... I have an Asus and don't see it. So it's not all Asus boards.

But yeah, it's definitely something odd. The more info we get, the better the dev team can narrow down the exact root cause.

Yeah, indeed.

What are your VT-x and VT-d settings?

I think this issue happens much more on INTEL x79, x99 and AMD X470 chipsets on Asus motherboards.

Edited by Nimce
Fixing typo

Yeah, indeed.

What are your VT-x and VT-d settings?

I think this issue happens much more on INTEL x79, x99 and AMD X470 chipsets on Asus motherboards.

I have a z270 and all of my virtualization options are on. I run HyperV VMs frequently.

I've had this issue for years. I have to run SIV. Anything involved with LINK or now iCUE I get the black screen every day.

Strange as I had the same issue with SIV.

Incidently I came to the pc this morning to find no fans running and in rainbow mode. I thought if it was just the service disabled it at least reverting to low rpm fans. Guess that answers the "How hot will it get?" question

After running for nearly a week under varying conditions with no problems, I encountered a return of the same black-screen crash behavior from before. This is the first instance, and occurred just after completing login to Windows. I have made no changes since my last post and no major updates have been received. Maybe cpuidsdk.dll is not the culprit but only a contributing factor. If I can replicate the issue and obtain anything of value in troubleshooting, I'll update more.

After running for nearly a week under varying conditions with no problems, I encountered a return of the same black-screen crash behavior from before. This is the first instance, and occurred just after completing login to Windows. I have made no changes since my last post and no major updates have been received. Maybe cpuidsdk.dll is not the culprit but only a contributing factor. If I can replicate the issue and obtain anything of value in troubleshooting, I'll update more.

Im of the thinking that the ryzen black screen issue is not the same as the X79/X99 issue since the Ryzen one seems to appear almost at the start of a system instead of 2/3 days odd

So far it's only happened the one time. All the crashes seemed to be timed within 5 mins of system startup. This return of the issue could just be a one-off but I'm monitoring to see if it happens again. So far things are back to being stable.

Update: After reviewing your results, we think we narrowed it down to the CPUID SDK. We're still investigating deeper and may have users do a few more tests.

I take it that would mean it also effected Corsair Link?

As someone whos had this issue interrupt his gaming for a YEAR!

Oh HAPPY DAYS!!! :D::D::D::D:

• Corsair Employee
I take it that would mean it also effected Corsair Link?

As someone whos had this issue interrupt his gaming for a YEAR!

Oh HAPPY DAYS!!! :D::D::D::D:

Yes, if it is related to CPUID SDK, LINK users would have seen this issue too since we share the same module for component DIY control.

I would just like to add that it happens to my freshly built system as well

Suddenly black screens, fans still running but no response. Have to turn off/on the PSU to get back.

ASUS Strix X470-F, AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, H115i Pro RGB.

Tried with iCue, Link 4 and CUE, same thing with all of them.

I would just like to add that it happens to my freshly built system as well

Suddenly black screens, fans still running but no response. Have to turn off/on the PSU to get back.

ASUS Strix X470-F, AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, H115i Pro RGB.

Tried with iCue, Link 4 and CUE, same thing with all of them.

Have you renamed CPUIDSDK.dll to something else (e.g. CPUIDSDK.bak.dll)

• Confused 1

Have you renamed CPUIDSDK.dll to something else (e.g. CPUIDSDK.bak.dll)

Just did! I renamed both of them, cpuidsdk.dll and cpuidsdk64.dll.

So far so good, will try some games etc to see if it happens again.

EDIT:

Have rebooted a couple of times, ran Cinebench and prime95, and played some Overwatch. Still no issues, even though I have iCue open at all times, showing H115i Pro temps. Seems like this is a good temporary solution.

EDIT2:

Just installed HWMONITOR (also CPUID) to test with that software as well. Almost instantly black screens. Uninstalled again, and seems like to be working fine again.

Edited by thobber