Thread: Fan curve help
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 09:33 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 988188
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

Your fan speed on the H100i will only affect the coolant temp, listed as H100i Temp in Link. For something like Prime 95 or any other stress test, the cooler is not the limiting factor. The limitation is the CPU temperature on the pin side of the chip, where the heat is generated. There is nothing you can do about that and all modern CPUs are limited by voltage and CPU thermal properties. Your change in coolant temp is likely only 6-8C and thus the most you could reduce temperatures with any radiator or fan combination is only 2-3C. Also, there is no reason to tune your system up for running Prime95, unless hunting Mersenne Primes is your normal hobby. If you are going to run any stress test, the best thing to do is set a static fan speed for the duration of the test. This makes it easier to compare results between instances are eliminates the fan curve as a variable.

As for what to do with your 3 case fans, that depends on what control options are available. Motherboard options may not be great on the Z270. CPU temp is about worthless. I do not think VRM temp was an option on that series. The best bet would if you have a single thermistor slot on the board and the temp probe end could go above the GPU somewhere. That would create a large enough data range to make subtle fan changes and in response the largest heat producer in the case. If you have other control options, you'll have to elaborate.

You will have little trouble creating positive pressure in a 540. Your front fans will move quite a bit of air and the top 2x120 on the radiator move very little because of the resistance from the fins. At maximum speed, they will only move about half their listed CFM - even in push-pull. Regardless, you can always alter pressure balance with changes in fan speed and a slight front bias should ensure that.