Corsair Community

Very frustrated with K55 keyboard right now...

yellowblanka

I was gifted a Corsair K55 RGB keyboard and an M65 Pro mouse recently, and until very recently had no problems with them. In addition to the K55 and M65 Pro, I have an off-brand USB headset and receivers for my Steam/360 controllers hooked up (typically, one or the other). This setup hadn't presented a problem for the few weeks I've had the keyboard, until randomly the other night while playing a game with my Steam controller, it started wigging out and becoming unresponsive. Thinking it was the controller itself, I tried replacing the batteries, same deal.

Out of desperation I dug out the receiver for my 360 controller which exhibited the same problem. Browsing these forums I noticed threads mentioning conflicts with the CUE software and Steam - it seemed odd that the keyboard would work fine with my setup and then start causing problems out of the blue. I tried disabling the CUE software, but that did not resolve the issue - my Steam/360 controllers would either work fine for a short while and eventually stop responding within a game, or the game would freeze up. I closed steam and tried to load the game controller panel in Windows 10 - even the system simply polling the controller for that caused it to seize up...until I unplugged the keyboard of curiosity and desperation, and the game controller panel suddenly sprang to life. Ditto games that would freeze/lock up, unplugging the keyboard would resolve it instantly. If I re-plug the keyboard after the game launches it would sometimes work fine for a bit but eventually it would freeze up requiring me to unplug the keyboard.

Thinking perhaps it was a USB power issue (though it's still odd that it would manifest so randomly, to my knowledge there were no Windows/Steam updates at the moment the controller started acting up), I ordered a powered USB hub from Amazon and plugged in the large supplemental power brick, and plugged the keyboard itself into one of the "high power" USB slots on the front of the hub. Initially it seemed to be working, the controller was working while the keyboard was plugged in, and the Capslock/Numlock indicator LEDs were working, but after 15/20 minutes the game I was playing locked up requiring an unplug of the keyboard.

I'm at my wits end here - it's obviously not practical to have to unplug the keyboard every time I want to play a game that uses the controller to avoid my system seizing up, and I like the aesthetics feel of the keyboard itself, but I'm about ready to swap in my old bog-standard Logitech keyboard at this point and axe all potential future Corsair purchases. I don't think this is necessarily just an issue with Steam+CUE or Steam and Corsair devices as I've seen claimed, but a deeper driver-level problem, because, as a I said, even without Steam/CUE running, the game controller panel in Windows 10 would freeze up UNTIL I unplugged the keyboard, then it would load instantly and show the the status of the controller.

FYI: this is all an an up-to-date install of Windows 10 Pro, on a clean system with up to date GPU/Mobo/BIOS etc.

Things I have tried:

1.) Swapping the keyboard in to different USB ports - I have 4 rear USB ports (2.0/3.0), two on the top of my case, and one integrated into a card reader on the front of the case - it makes no difference what port the keyboard is plugged into, it still causes issues with controllers. Ditto the receivers for my 360/Steam controllers. Controllers will simply not function properly/at all when the K55 is plugged in.

2.) Updating the drivers for the motherboard USB controllers via Device Manager (again, it worked before so this was a longshot, but I figured it was worth a shot, I was desperate)

3.) Forcing a re-install of the latest firmware on the keyboard.

4.) Plugging the keyboard into a separate, powered hub, in a high-power port no less.

5.) Closing the CUE software.

It seems nothing short of witchcraft will get this damn thing to cooperate with controllers/work as it did the first few weeks I had it at this point. The thing isn't even a month old and I'm having this issue.

Pertinent System Info:

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz

Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V LE (LGA1155)

Graphics

LG IPS FULLHD (1920x1080@60Hz)

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA)

Storage

1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA)

931GB Western Digital WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0 (SATA)

Optical Drives

SONY BD RW BWU-500S

Audio

Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

It should be noted that I've had no other system/USB issues, the issues with my controller are wholly caused by the keyboard, and remedied by unplugging it. I do realize that my motherboard is a little long in the tooth at this point (I built this system 5/6 years ago), but perhaps you should extend your lab testing to older motherboards/chipsets as there are still an awful lot of them in use in gaming PCs.

*edit* - with Steam/CUE closed, trying to launch the game controller setup panel in Windows 10 causes an endless loop - unplugging the keyboard/temporarily disabling every "HID compliant vendor specific control device" except "HID controller" fixes it, but of course then the keyboard doesn't show up in CUE and you lose all extra functionality (macro keys etc.). Corsair/Microsoft really need to rectify this situation.

Edited by yellowblanka

Well, I uninstalled CUE and the HID devices for now which means I lost all customization, the lighting is locked to the rainbow and for some reason the CAPSLOCK and NUMLOCK lights do not work without the extra HID drivers/CUE. I'll have to try re-installing CUE etc. sometime, but somehow I doubt it will make a difference. On the upside, hey I can actually use my controllers and the keyboard at the same time without my computer having a seizure. Thanks for the great product/customer service Corsair *sarcasm*.

Anybody else having this issue with an older motherboard using Windows 10 and the K55? The problem started again after the HID drivers automatically re-installed, so I guess I have to leave them permanently "disabled", or Windows will just download them again. It's really aggravating that a keyboard not even a month old is exhibiting this problem - I don't know if it's a hardware or software (I suspect software) issue, but some kind of official response would be nice.

• Corsair Employee

We have been tracking this issue for a couple months, and tried working with Valve to resolve it as well. This is our findings from our own in house testing:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...=167509&page=5

Got an update for everyone on this issue. As James has stated before, and I want to re-affirm that we have reached out to Valve when the issue popped up, and went as far as to send them products so they could perform their own in-house testing to speed up the trouble shooting process. Unfortunately we haven't received any responses to requests for updates.

What we have found through our own rigorous testing is that Steam will continuously poll all USB devices looking for controllers once you start the program. This causes HID devices to get confused as to which program takes priority and which to respond to, and will cause hangs or crashes with either Steam or CUE. If a fix is possible through CUE, we will provide it once available.

We have been tracking this issue for a couple months, and tried working with Valve to resolve it as well. This is our findings from our own in house testing:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...=167509&page=5

Did you actually read my initial post? Even with Steam/CUE closed, if I say, try to view the controller control panel, it will go unresponsive unless I a.) unplug the keyboard or b.) disable all "consumer HID devices" - the former is obviously less than ideal and will put undue strain on the plug/port by me having to unplug the keyboard when I want to play a game that uses the controller and the latter locks the keyboard lighting into the rainbow pattern and disables all extra functionality of the keyboard, rendering much of its utility useless. Now, there may still be an issue/conflict with Steam, but in my case, it seems like this is definitely not a Steam issue, but an issue with your HID drivers, as the problem still exhibits itself UNLESS I disable them. Having this issue with a keyboard that is less than a month old sure does not instill a lot of confidence in your brand.

Anybody else having this issue with an older motherboard using Windows 10 and the K55? The problem started again after the HID drivers automatically re-installed, so I guess I have to leave them permanently "disabled", or Windows will just download them again. It's really aggravating that a keyboard not even a month old is exhibiting this problem - I don't know if it's a hardware or software (I suspect software) issue, but some kind of official response would be nice.

I had almost your same board since it came out up until a week ago with various video cards and a little more ram, but everything else was very similar, Same exact z68 chipset and 2600k until a week ago. I have a dualshock PS4 and steam controller and several corsair devices which now or formerly included an m65 rgb, the scimitar non pro yellow one, the k95, a refurb model, a polaris mm800 and an st100 and void headset, non pro.

I have not had this nightmare you have been experiencing and I get the frustrations, but there has to be something else happening. You mention the gamepad thing was crashing when it would open up. Does that happen even when the steam controller is disconnected including its dongle? Have you tried clean installing steam?

In big picture mode in steam under the gear does it help if you disable generic gamepad support? Also are you running ds4windows or any other xinput remapper? Do you have access to another corsair device by chance to test? My only difference between my former setup and yours was the k55 which i would assume would be a less complicated board...i feel your pain, someone will be able to help, it has to be something stupid and fixable.

You run steam in admin mode? I need to for it to write to game folders...maybe that matters for some reason, cant hurt to try.

and a quick follow up to the above, i tried some random steam games and another uplay game (specifically mafia 3 on steam and watch dogs 2 on uplay).

Interestingly, I never had a problem with the ps4 plugged in or wireless in mafia 3 yet this time i tried booting with both the steam controller and the ps4 controller connected with cue, sdk and all the corsair stuff plugged in and it would not work in the menus, or in the game beyond looking around on the touchpad on the steam controller, even when i would unplug the steam controller dongle or toggle the compatibility settings in big picture mode's gear (this is to confirm without reloading the game).

This seems to be what folks are reporting in uplay's other games like steep (the one i have the issue with as it is sort of what i am playing now) where the controller only looks around, but does nothing else. I tried re seating the steam dongle without re loading the game and also plugging in the PS4 dualshock with usb without reloading the game. Each time, i experienced what i consider a reasonable delay /drop in framerates as i would plug in the device, assuming it has to do stuff like hid recognize and load the driver before it can respond in directx or whatever the games are using to capture input.

that said, I didnt do a lot of testing like going back in and seeing if mafia three would work with just the ps4 plugged in without the steam controller having been plugged in.

I got the same exact results following a reboot with ubisoft's watch dogs 2, controllers would work to look around but not really work as gamepad input. since mafia three was a 2k game iirc, i assume this is related as more modern games, even ones that are not stated compatibility with steam controller do not seem to give me beef once i am through the menus, although out of my library maybe i have only tested a few. Test drive unlimited 2 is wishy washy on controls in general, but that seems to work with both and so is beam NG drive for the sake of example. Also dontnod's games have been impeccable with this, like life is strange before the storm and remember me, the latter of which i played for the first time with the steam controller on the FCU windows update and the latest CUE a week or so ago. I recall that road rash knock off remake being kind of just ok with the steam controller but i should try that one again too to see what happens.

Curious also to see what happens with origin's mirrors edge catalyst as i never completed that game. another unknown quantity potentially with how it may look at system inputs...

I have a couple steam links as well, i could post my results and see if they are different when launched when not physically at the pc? may be different results or help diagnosis.

I had almost your same board since it came out up until a week ago with various video cards and a little more ram, but everything else was very similar, Same exact z68 chipset and 2600k until a week ago. I have a dualshock PS4 and steam controller and several corsair devices which now or formerly included an m65 rgb, the scimitar non pro yellow one, the k95, a refurb model, a polaris mm800 and an st100 and void headset, non pro.

I have not had this nightmare you have been experiencing and I get the frustrations, but there has to be something else happening. You mention the gamepad thing was crashing when it would open up. Does that happen even when the steam controller is disconnected including its dongle? Have you tried clean installing steam?

In big picture mode in steam under the gear does it help if you disable generic gamepad support? Also are you running ds4windows or any other xinput remapper? Do you have access to another corsair device by chance to test? My only difference between my former setup and yours was the k55 which i would assume would be a less complicated board...i feel your pain, someone will be able to help, it has to be something stupid and fixable.

You run steam in admin mode? I need to for it to write to game folders...maybe that matters for some reason, cant hurt to try.

As I said, even with Steam and CUE closed - if either my Steam controller OR my 360 controller are connected to ANY USB port at the same time the keyboard is the "Set up USB Game controllers" panel hangs/freezes when I try to open it, the MOMENT I unplug the keyboard/disable all the Corsair HID devices the panel springs to life - I'm 99.9% certain this isn't a Steam-specific issue but a problem with their HID drivers. Also, if I try to launch a game that uses a controller with the keyboard plugged in, it will either refuse to launch/crash or freeze up a few moments/minutes after getting in game - when this happens. Again, this can be remedied by disabling all the "Consumer HID" devices the keyboard installs, but this removes all but the basic functionality of the keyboard and locks it into the default rainbow pattern. I had initially thought to try a fresh Steam install, but the fact that this problem occurs even with CUE and Steam closed tells me it's not a Steam issue as they often claim. I guess for now I'm just going to have to use it as a basic keyboard, as I'm certainly not going to unplug it every time I want to use a game that uses a controller - that constant unplugging/re-plugging would wear out the connector/port fast. Thanks for trying to help, it's sad that forum users seem to be of far more help than their official support that just regurgitate the same "we're looking into the problem" crap with no useful information.

Edited by yellowblanka

If the CUE software is not removed completely it has drivers installed that causes Windows to still have the locking freezing issues. My problematic K55 was not fixed from this until I removed unistalled completely the CUE software and disabled the HID devices. Just having the software closed and set to not auto-run with Windows will not fix the issue as it will still attempt to run some services. I have since purchased a non Corsair branded keyboard but keep check to see if they have ever resolved this issue. I considered a different model Cosair but thought the odds where too great it would also suffer the same fates on my system. My system is new not even a year old yet so this problem seems to be widespread and affects all types and ages of motherboards.

If the CUE software is not removed completely it has drivers installed that causes Windows to still have the locking freezing issues. My problematic K55 was not fixed from this until I removed unistalled completely the CUE software and disabled the HID devices. Just having the software closed and set to not auto-run with Windows will not fix the issue as it will still attempt to run some services. I have since purchased a non Corsair branded keyboard but keep check to see if they have ever resolved this issue. I considered a different model Corsair but thought the odds where too great it would also suffer the same fates on my system. My system is new not even a year old yet so this problem seems to be widespread and affects all types and ages of motherboards.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough - if I disable all the requisite HID devices, I have no problems, but then of course the lighting is locked into rainbow and I lose all extra functionality. I had thought the latest CUE release had solved the problem, but then attempting to play a game last night the controller was disconnecting UNTIL I disabled all the HID devices. So I have a choice of either unplugging the keyboard and losing the use of it while playing a controller game, or disabling the HID devices and losing custom lighting/all extra functionality - neither is ideal. One puts excess wear on the port/connector, and the other negates all extra functionality of the keyboard. As I said, this is issue is not isolated to Steam as they've often claimed, it's clearly an issue with their software/drivers conflicting with the OS/an OS update.

• 4 months later...

I know I am jumping a little late on this thread....

I have been having problems with my PC for weeks while trying to play games, some on Steam, some not (iRacing).

Initially, I blamed the issues on my old Logitech G25 wheel after a recent Windows update messed up the Logitech drivers but the problem was intermittent and somewhat random. I spent MANY hours trying to resolve various menu freezes and controller issues. I even did a complete fresh install of Windows 10 in an attempt to resolve the issues.

Most of my games (Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, Euro Truck Simulator, Dirt Rally, Race Room Experience and even iRacing) would randomly freeze while loading various menus and in particular on controller configuration pages....

Assetto Corsa became completely useless could not configure wheel due to system hangs). Other games would hang or freeze for a minute or two.

Today, while making unrelated changes to my Gaming Rig, I unplugged my K55 Keyboard and noticed my Logitech G25 Force feedback wheel move (calibrate) itself at the same time.... for no apparent reason... this got me thinking.

I plugged in a different keyboard (leaving the K55 unplugged) and WOW!!! All of my issues solved in one go! NO MORE FREEZES.

In hindsight, I started using the 55 about the same time the problems started (was given the keyboard by a family member because of an upgrade) and just never put two and two together until now.

Hopefully this post helps someone else resolve "Game Controller" issues.

Safe to say, the K55 will NOT have a happy ending!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having problems with my PC for weeks while trying to play games, some on Steam, some not (iRacing).

Initially, I blamed the issues on my old Logitech G25 wheel after a recent Windows update messed up the Logitech drivers but the problem was intermittent and somewhat random. I spent MANY hours trying to resolve various menu freezes and controller issues. I even did a complete fresh install of Windows 10 in an attempt to resolve the issues.

Most of my games (Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, Euro Truck Simulator, Dirt Rally, Race Room Experience and even iRacing) would randomly freeze while loading various menus and in particular on controller configuration pages....

Assetto Corsa became completely useless could not configure wheel due to system hangs). Other games would hang or freeze for a minute or two.

Today, while making unrelated changes to my Gaming Rig, I unplugged my K55 Keyboard and noticed my Logitech G25 Force feedback wheel move (calibrate) itself at the same time.... for no apparent reason... this got me thinking.

I plugged in a different keyboard (leaving the K55 unplugged) and WOW!!! All of my issues solved in one go! NO MORE FREEZES.

In hindsight, I started using the 55 about the same time the problems started (was given the keyboard by a family member because of an upgrade) and just never put two and two together until now.

Hi

I have very similar problems with my Fanatec CSW 2.5 steering wheel. And similar problems with games.

Assetto Corsa(the game I play most of the time) crashes and stutter.

Once I have unplugged my K55 the problems disappeared.

Other guys in "Assetto Corsa Italia" facebook group have the same problems with this keyboard.

I'm very disappointed..I have a full Corsair rig(Case,memory,PSU,AIO,headset) and now I have to use a cheap chinese keyboard that works flawlessy instead of an expensive Corsair RGB keyboard.

Please Corsair help us to solve this problems.

TIA

• 1 month later...

Dear Corsair, please fix this problem

Otherwise I don't think it's a good marketing if everyone tells around Corsair stands for bad support and isn't gaming friendly.

This problem is caused by your keyboard K55

Fix the problem, give everyone with a K55 another keyboard or live with bad reputation.

• 1 month later...

I'm affected by this issue too. This is not a K55/Steam specific issue. It is not either iCue related.

Other non-steam software also gets frozen for some time when enumerating USB devices if K55 is present, as in this example on DCS World:

[1516] 2018-09-15 07:54:56.566 INFO INPUT: Device [Keyboard] created deviceId = -1

[1516] 2018-09-15 07:55:36.704 INFO INPUT: Device [Mouse] created deviceId = -1

Only this keyboard causes that reproducible 40 second delay on application launch and when hotplugging any USB devices. Disabling HMI devices on devmgmt does prevent this problem, at the expense of losing macros and leds.

I have personally returned the keyboard due to the lack of response from Corsair to this known issue.

• 1 month later...

OMG... I have spent months trying to sort my Raceroom and PCars2 issues.. i would never have believed it would be the keyboard.. changed keyboard and everything is perfect again.. I don't think I would ever buy another Corsair product. :mad:

• 5 months later...

this problem is still happening now, its a complete joke that corsair blame steam for this when its clearly a fault of the keyboard and hid drivers.

i too have purchased the full array of corsair products and if this isnt fixed and i need to use a diffrent keyboard then it will be the last corsair product i purchase.

Boy, although I don't know exactly how to solve your problems, I gotta say, this keyboard behaves like some possessed spoiled child.

• The iCUE software recognizes it only "when it wants to";

• Waking up the PC means the drivers will probably stop working entirely;

• When the drivers aren't working, the iCUE RGB actions don't work, and the NumLock/CapsLock/WinLock LEDs won't work at all;

• Sometimes I can't input my PIN and have to restart my PC because the keyboard makes the system think I'm holding Shift, and the issue persists when unplugging the keyboard — this never happened with my old keyboard;

• The iCUE software doesn't recognize it after restarting at least twice, restarting the Corsair service task does nothing;

• I don't know if it's the keyboard or some freak malware, but a couple times a week, when I'm typing, it'll automatically input the text "MP[88amp" then opens System Settings randomly — this never happened with my old keyboard;

• The Harpoon mouse that came with it works 100% fine and never had a single problem.

It's an awesome, affordable keyboard, but these very persistent software issues make it worthless compared to some cheap Chinese keyboard which at least lets you know if Caps Lock is on.

Anyone has the same issues?

i get a few of your problems with mine...

icue will recognise it on a restart but randomly it just wont pick it up which coincides with the caps lock light not functioning. this behavior also coincides with games taking ages to load and causing problems with any controllers connected.

i think something driver related to the keyboard is crashing and icue then doesnt recognise the keyboard, when this crash happens the caps lock light doesnt function and games take ages to load and it also causes the problem with controllers.

if the driver/service doesnt crash everything is fine with icue, caps lock light, games and controllers.

• 2 weeks later...

This issue has almost 2 years old. It's safe to assume Corsair will never fix it.

If your keyboard is still under warranty, just RMA it, buy a Razer, Logitech or another reliable brand and never buy a Corsair product again. This issue is one of those things you shouldn't overlook at all. If Corsair hasn't fixed this important issue yet, that's a big red flag and it should dissuade any consumer from buying any other product from this brand.

Edited by Bastinazus

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I might have found a fix. (It works for me.)

I am using a K55 keyboard, a Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, a Blue Snowball MIC and a PS4 Controller (Dualshock 4 Version 2) that I later just refer to as 'controller'. Everything worked together without any problems for about 2 years, until two weeks ago.

Two weeks ago I bought a Corsair Force MP510 960GB nVME SSD that arrived and that I installed a week ago. I had to do a clean installation of Windows and I installed everything to be able to game (Steam, Uplay, Origin,...).

As soon as I would connect my controller any other USB device that was connected would stop responding. One time it was my mouse, sometimes my mic, sometimes the keyboard and sometimes multiple at the same time.

I also had the problem that Windows Common Shell DLL would freeze when I wanted to calibrate my controller in Windows. Unplugging the K55 stopped the freezing and gave me the option to calibrate my controller.

So this is why I thought it was a problem related to the K55. (Just to be clear, I love the K55.)

So what I did:

1. First I updated Windows (10) to the latest version
  2. I updated all device drivers using the device manager (really every device that was listed there)
  3. I then installed iCue and updated everything that could be updated (currently I have iCue Software Version 3.16.56)
  4. I repeated step 2 to be sure
  5. I disabled "Wireless Controller" under "Sound, video and game controllers" in the device manager. (This stops the PS4 controller from taking over your sound devices (mic, headphones, input/output devices)
  6. But this is what I think it did: Because the PS4 controller has light, I tought that the lights of my keyboard may conflict with the lights of the controller (and other devices), so I disabled "Enable SDK" (so it is unchecked now) in the iCue Settings. This disables the ability for games to control your lights of your connected Corsair devices. (I did the same for my other devices that have RGB and this option.)

• (In steam I also have "Guide Button Focuses Steam" and "Playstation Configuration Support" toggled on under Steam's General Controller Settings (Steam > Settings > Controller > General Controller Settings).

When this was all done, I was able to use all my devices together again. No problems since then.

I hope this can help someone. (Let me know. :biggrin:)

Edited by MattiVM

• 3 weeks later...

We'll I've found another issue with this keyboard.

As it turns out, neither Ace Combat 7 nor Sekiro will even start if this keyboard is plugged in.

I've tried all the usual troubleshooting BS with reinstalling and drivers.

I bought this as a backup keyboard as it was fairly cheap, but I wish I'd kept the receipt. I won't be purchasing anymore Corsair products in the future, because a KB causing software issues in 2019 is unacceptable.

We'll I've found another issue with this keyboard.

As it turns out, neither Ace Combat 7 nor Sekiro will even start if this keyboard is plugged in.

I've tried all the usual troubleshooting BS with reinstalling and drivers.

I bought this as a backup keyboard as it was fairly cheap, but I wish I'd kept the receipt. I won't be purchasing anymore Corsair products in the future, because a KB causing software issues in 2019 is unacceptable.

That is unacceptable indeed.

Right now I don't experience any problems anymore apart from games freezing for a few seconds when starting up. I still have the receipt and can return it, but I don't really have a valid reason. Or is incompatibility with software and other devices a reason to return a keyboard after 1 and a half year usage? Because it is only about a month ago that the first problems started happening.

Also, if I would buy another keyboard, I would have no idea for another keyboard except the K70 (or the K95), because if I buy a new keyboard, it needs to be mechanical and needs to have dedicated media and volume keys.

Edited by MattiVM