Corsair Community

New H115i RGB Install; Disconnect Issues, etc.

jeffk42

Hi,

I just bought this H115i RGB cooler to replace a dead Enermax cooler. I'm pretty sure everything is connected correctly, since it's mostly doing what it's supposed to do. I'm using the latest iCUE software (currently 3.9.93).

For a while, the software was locking up for 20-30 seconds every time I tried to click on a different profile or change tabs (ie, from "Home" to "Settings") where Windows 10 would report it as "Not Responding" for a while, and then eventually come back and respond to clicks again. Of course, as of this morning this behavior has stopped and it's running normally after no particular intervention from me. Not sure what that was about.

Moving on, I've had a couple of strange behaviors popping up, but they've been hard to nail down. Things like the fans occasionally not paying attention to the performance setting (ie, they'll be at 600-700 rpm with the coolant temp at 34C, when the Extreme performance option has them running at 100% after 30C. Then as soon as I bring the iCUE app up, they bounce back to 100% like they were just caught by the boss slacking off). Of course, as I'm typing this I can't recreate it, go figure.

More annoying than that though is the constant disconnects that seem to generally happen after a reboot. I'll be on my creatively named "Profile 2" and then I'll restart the computer. Colors change to the Default profile, and once I'm logged in I start getting the USB disconnect sound in Windows, about every 10 to 20 seconds. I never hear the "connect" sound like the user in this thread, just disconnects over and over. The colors remain in the Default profile. If I go into iCUE at this point, the profile has been reset to Default. I can reselect Profile 2 and things go back to normal, and from that point forward I stop hearing the disconnect sound until the next restart. This problem is repeatable, and I've created a third profile with a different lighting scheme and it exhibits the same problem.

For reference, Profile 2 had the pump on one of the rainbow modes, and each fan was on Temperature (one for the coolant, one for the CPU temp). Profile 3 was just set to Heartbeat.

OK. So when it disconnects, have you tried restarting the service?

Are you using the USB drivers that came with the motherboard or the ones that Windows auto detects?

Do you have Windows Fast Startup disabled?

... and finally ... is it connected directly to the motherboard or via some kind of adapter?

OK. So when it disconnects, have you tried restarting the service?

Well, the disconnects only happen on startup and will continue to happen until I bring iCUE to the foreground by clicking on the taskbar icon. Once I bring iCUE to the foreground, it stops disconnecting and I can close the iCUE window and it's fine. Although since it has reset my active profile to "Default", first I have to re-select my desired profile.

If I reboot and the disconnects start happening, I can quit iCUE from the taskbar and the disconnects stop. Then I can start the application, re-select my desired profile which has been reverted to "Default", and it's running fine.

Are you using the USB drivers that came with the motherboard or the ones that Windows auto detects?

I don't know, to be honest. How would I find this information?

Do you have Windows Fast Startup disabled?

Disabled, although the behavior is the same regardless of how I have this set.

... and finally ... is it connected directly to the motherboard or via some kind of adapter?

Directly to the motherboard using the included cable attached to the pump and to the USB header.

For the drivers - if you installed the drivers that came with your motherboard, then you should be using those. You can always reinstall them; they'll be included in the chipset drivers from your motherboard manufacturer.

Let's also see if there is a cable issue - you can confirm they by using a standard micro USB cable and routing to the rear I/O.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so partial update and additional info:

I updated the chipset drivers and a couple of other things that were available for my motherboard (Asus ROG STRIX x399-E Gaming). I updated the BIOS to the latest version. I updated to the latest iCUE (3.10.125). Upon restart, the issue started happening again. After spending a little time on it, I turned on debug logging and noticed an error:

2018-12-10 20:15:18.4251 | 53 | ATLANTIS | 3.10.0.20 | PlatinumDeviceHidCommunicationHandler | ReadBufferWithRetry -> Operation timed out.

I've also noticed the following with the current setup:

This ONLY happens on startup (so I doubt it's the cable), the USB disconnect sound happens every 10-20 seconds. When I bring up iCUE, it has reverted to the Default profile, but the actual settings are not active (ie, the Default profile has the "Extreme" setting on the fans which should put them on at 100% at 30C, but at 32C they're only going about 500 rpm). I can change the profile, but the fans don't speed up even though they should. The disconnect sound keeps happening.

Then I quit the iCUE service and restart it. It's back to the Default profile again. But now that I've restarted it, the fans are working as expected (100% at 32C until the temp drops below 30C), and changing the profile seems to work as expected. The disconnect sound stops for good, until the next restart. After the next reboot, the process starts over again. I have to quit the iCUE service that's auto-started on boot, and start it again myself.

Edit: never mind. After letting it sit for 15-20 minutes, it started the disconnect noise again. It wasn't doing that after restarting the service, until just now. But this time without restarting iCUE, I was able to go in to the application where the profile had NOT switched to default (but the fans had slowed down), I changed the "Performance" profile and then back to where it was (Balanced) and the fans immediately sped up to appropriate levels. So weird. And now the disconnect sound is gone again.

Edited by jeffk42

No, unfortunately it's still happening. It seemed at first that it was only happening on reboot until I had a chance to restart the service. But it turns out that that will fix it for a while, maybe 30-60 minutes, and then it starts again. Whenever I start hearing the disconnect chime again, I have to restart the service and reselect my desired profile for it to start working again. The error is the same every time in the logs:

2018-12-15 18:53:16.6263 | 21 | ERROR: PlatinumDeviceHidCommunicationHandler | ReadBufferWithRetry -> Operation timed out.
Edited by jeffk42

That's interesting. I wonder if one of my USB devices is causing the failure. I've got a couple of external drives, a card reader, a microphoone, a CAC reader, a couple of scanners, etc. I'll have to try removing everything else and plugging them back in one at a time to see if one of them is conflicting.

Im seeing something similar on the H100i platinum I just installed. It never did it until today. Ive been running the pc for about a week before this getting it ready for xmas. He got a void pro rgb usb headset and I have noticed the lights flicker, but still stay lit on the h100i plat.

Restarting the icue software fixes it. By restart I mean inside the software and using the restart button.

Edited by nezff

• 2 weeks later...
Yep same problem for me, I can make the issue happen by 1) plugging in a USB device (iPhone 6+ does it each time) and 2) when i run Kodi 18 RC3 (0r RC2)

If I close iCUE, the problem goes away but my mouse and keyboard, both Corsair, are featureless...

Corsair Ticket #811245

I'm having the same issue, H100i RGB Platinum. As soon as iCue starts, I start getting usb connected/disconnected notification noises. every time that the disconnect noise plays, I hear the fans on the radiator shut off (and I'm reasonably sure the pump shuts off as well, given it seems to be managed through iCue). The fans will start to spin back up, and then the disconnect noise plays again and it all shuts right back off.

It's affecting my temperatures, and I fear for the safety of my CPU, should I put it under load.

Drivers are all installed at this point, only thing I haven't updated is the BIOS, but this seems to be a fairly common issue. I need a fix, asap, please...

I put in a ticket for the problem, so did fedaykinwolf above. I don't know how he's faring, but I have yet to get a response. I imagine they're drowning in similar tickets considering how common it seems to be in the forums. But for now, every time I hear the disconnect noise I go into iCUE and select a different profile, and then re-select the original one. That seems to get it going again most of the time. When it doesn't, I quit iCUE completely from the taskbar and restart it.

For what it's worth, in my case the fans don't completely stop when I get the USB disconnect chime. They drop to 500-600 rpm according to iCUE (weird that the driver stops working on disconnect, but the temp and speed sensors continue to report values). I haven't noticed the pump speed dropping, which is good. Changing the profile and changing it back kicks the fans back into action and they speed back up to the appropriate speeds, and I see the temperature start to drop.

Of course, that's not a real solution. I shouldn't have to be doing this every 15-20 minutes. Luckily I haven't seen the pump temp rise above 35C, but that's usually where it's hanging out when the driver has zoned out for a while.

For what it's worth, I haven't been able to thoroughly test yet, but updating to iCUE version 3.11.114 and then rebooting so far seems to have resolved most of my problems. I'm trying to watch out for anything out of the ordinary because I don't fully trust that everything is fixed yet, but so far so good. :)

Update: Corsair has gotten in contact with me. As I mentioned above, the problem was mostly resolved by the last software update, but I still sometimes get a disconnect on reboot, and so far I've gotten one during a game. But that's only once in about 48 hours, which is way better than every 15 minutes like it was previously. Hopefully they'll have something I can do to resolve the remaining problems, though I expect it will require another update.

Just finished my new build with the H115i Platinum and I'm experiencing identical issues.

Used to have the H115i and didn't have any of these problems! Running latest update on ICUE, majorly p***ed off that my brand new 'premium' cooling solution keeps on cutting out mid-game, causing my temperatures to soar. :mad:

Just finished my new build with the H115i Platinum and I'm experiencing identical issues.

Used to have the H115i and didn't have any of these problems! Running latest update on ICUE, majorly p***ed off that my brand new 'premium' cooling solution keeps on cutting out mid-game, causing my temperatures to soar. :mad:

I've been talking with support, and they asked me to remove the USB cable and replace it with one of my own that plugs into a USB A port in the back of the computer, rather than the included cable that connects to the motherboard. When I did this, nearly ALL of my problems completely disappeared. As unlikely as it sounds, it seems to be the USB cable connected to the pump that was giving me problems. They are sending me a new one.

The one problem that hasn't been resolved is the initial disconnect every time I reboot the computer. I have to go into iCUE and click the "Restart iCUE Service" button in Settings and it comes back up. Having this relatively minor issue that only comes up on reboot is WAY better than what was previously happening. It's still a problem that needs to be resolved, of course, but I no longer regret the purchase like I did at first.

My recommendation is that you open a ticket with Corsair Support for any problems you're having. They seem a bit backlogged at the moment, so it may take a few days, but they'll get back to you and they've been quite helpful. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought and installed the H115i RGB Platinum on my system, including the latest version of iCue (3.12.118) and updated the firmware to the latest version (1.00.33) via iCue as well. I also get the USB disconnects while Steam is running, which often also lead to crashes of the H115i's USB driver (only a PC restart will fix it).

The H115i is connected directly to an USB Header on my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master mainboard (I tried both that are available, no change). I have Windows 10 Education 64 bit 1809 with all the latest patches and drivers installed.

I tested this on my brother's and my friend's computers as well, the behavior is 100% reproducible on them, too.

1. It seems the problem is related to iCue in conjunction with Steam. If I start Steam and let it run, it will repeatedly disconnect and reconnect the H115i.

Reading the Steam forums a bit, it might be related to the Steam Controller feature (since many users have reported other USB devices being randomly disconnected/reconnected while Steam is running).

Steam will see the Corsair as an Unknown HID device (and perhaps H115i is also falsely reporting itself as USB game controller?), assume it might be a controller, try to access/poll all USB devices and cause a disconnect/reconnect it in the process (especially if you have many USB devices connected and they are polled all at once, potentially overloading the USB bus).

This will often cause the H115i's Driver to crash (especially when the Fan RGB lighting is enabled), in which case it reverts to default "silent" mode which may not be enough to cool the system.

The Steam controller feature apparently can't be turned off completely to prevent the issue.

I hope that Corsair can get in contact with Steam and work on a solution for this issue (I've already reported the bug over at Steam as well). Random USB devices disconnecting may not be too bad, but when it's a CPU cooler that requires the device/driver to run for good cooling performance, it's critical as heck as it could cause permanent damage to the CPU.

That said, I wish Corsair would let us "burn in" our iCue profiles to be saved in firmware and applied automatically as "fallback" (instead of dropping to some sort of quiet or balanced like it does now) even when not connected and iCue isn't running, it would be safer instead of having to rely on the software and driver to be active. I'd certainly prefer my custom, aggressive fan curve and Extreme pump setting to stay default so the 9900K and the system which the H115i's fans help circulate air through won't overheat. Maybe we can get such an option added to a future firmware.

2. I also get the H115i USB disconnect/reconnect on Windows Startup (Steam isn't starting up automatically for me, so it isn't the cause here).

Edit: The Driver crashes I can prevent by connecting the H115i RGB Platinum to an USB 3.1 port outside the case with a cable I had here at home. It seems the included USB2.0 for the internal connector isn't entirely sufficient to power the H115i RGB Platinum and it's two fans with lighting running. Steam still does disconnect the H115i, though, albeit it doesn't cause the driver to crash anymore when connected to an USB3.1 port in the back.

Edited by Glzmo

• 3 weeks later...
I have been plagued with this issue in my new PC build. I've done static lighting and am still receiving the same issues. I will note that it is the worst while using Steam, but still, very frustrating. I put in a ticket for it tonight and I hope the issue finally gets resolved.

I have been plagued with this issue in my new PC build. I've done static lighting and am still receiving the same issues. I will note that it is the worst while using Steam, but still, very frustrating. I put in a ticket for it tonight and I hope the issue finally gets resolved.
They'll have to update the iCue Software and/or Firmware with a fix. Steam seems to be the hottest trigger for it by far indeed. And yes, even the static light or light off triggers the Disconnects for me while Steam is running, albeit it is far less frequent than when using, say Spiral Rainbow, Rainbow Wave, etc..

You can try this workaround and see if it helps until Corsair gets their $H!7 together.

Edited by Glzmo

Right on. Yeah, if I shut down the service and let everything load then go back and start everything again that worked wonders with iCue having zero to minimal crashes. This workaround looks like a good time-saver on having to do all the nonsensical steps I was doing. Cheers man, greatly appreciated!