Corsair Community

Tutorial: Fix loudness on any headset

JasSmith87

Hey guys,

If you're having the same problem I am you're USB headset has 2 volumes available to you, off and unbearably loud. Turning off the surround can help with this in some cases, but you're probably still limited in the useful values of the master volume (for me anything over 2% was VERY loud).

Fixing this is pretty simple thanks to a handy little utility called Equalizer APO.

Download it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

After you download you are going to want to run the installer. At some point it will ask you to select which devices you want to use the equalizer on. Select your headphones now.

Let the install finish then reboot.

After you reboot open the file C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config\config.txt, delete the contents and replace it with

Preamp: -12 dB

You may change the value to match your preference however you like. As soon as you save the file your output will be adjusted. I picked -12 because some games were too quiet at -15 or -20, but music was too loud at -10.

• Confused 2

Confirmed it works on normal sound cards. I like how when you edit and save the text file it automatically adjusts the gain. Be nice to have a gui.

Make this a sticky please!! I'm sure that the windows CP setting for 'Loudness' will do the same but this allows us more control. Nice find.

• 2 weeks later...

Registrered only to say THANK YOU VERY F'ING MUCH!!!! I have been looking for a fix for a long time, and this did the trick!

Lets hope Corsair/Windows fixes their drivers for USB Headset sometime in the future so we don't have to do hacks to make our equipment function properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, this is awesome. I've been resorting to screwing with every programs volume.

Question, this work fine, but make my mic very low, in fraps, action or other software cant lisent my voice

When installing, did you select the microphone device as well? Just using 'preamp:' in the config file affects any devices you selected.

If you want to adjust volume for each device independently, make sure you have the correct devices selected in E. APO, then try a config something what I'm using:

Device: Corsair Vengeance 1500 Headset
Preamp: -8db

Device: Microphone
Preamp: +20db

Found the how-to on the project's SF wiki.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Didn't work for me. I change and nothing happens. There's no corsair driver on my computer because, when i use, the headset make a noise .

Im using volume 2 on windows , 6 or 12 db still too loud. What im doing wrong

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Dear Corsair, you are a load of crap for forcing us to use a third party program to fix a major issue you should have fixed a long time ago. First and last Corsair branded headsets ill ever own. Thank you OP for posting this and helping us fix this major issue we've been having for years. Shame on you Corsair. Edited by SuperDeluxe7

Dear Corsair, you are a load of crap for forcing us to use a third party program to fix a major issue you should have fixed a long time ago. First and last Corsair branded headsets ill ever own. Thank you OP for posting this and helping us fix this major issue we've been having for years. Shame on you Corsair.

um.... the op is 2 years old...

what headset do you have.

• 2 months later...