[Fix] High CPU Usage of iCue 3.3.103!

solarity

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(...)the only thing that worked was backing up and deleting profile_h100iv2.xml that dropped iCUE's cpu usage to 3% but now of course I have no monitoring of my AIO sooooooo :[pouts:

For me, when I tried this earlier, it doesn't worked. CPU consumption was the same extremely high as before removing the XML profiles.

I am adding links for the download of CUE/Link as well as the previous version of iCue.

Maybe it's a good idea to put the warning about what I said when you downgrade to the previous version. I was unable to convert my profiles back to the old format used by iCUE 3.2.87.

My problem is with Dark Core SE, if i delete all color settings of Dark Core SE, CPU usage back to normal.

I tried that but even if I delete all my profiles and delete all color or lights in the last profile, the CPU still gets burned by iCUE.

Thanks for putting this together guys. I've pinned this post for reference.

Thank you for this, CJ. Corsair's dev team should speed up coding and releasing a build to fix this issue. They are too slow even for a small size company. I'm a developer and I'm sure they can be faster to solve a problem that they should tested before releasing a faulty version. There is no way that a team can be slower than me coding an app alone. I am sure Corsair dev team can be more efficient and do things faster and testing it better. What happen to that history of Corsair be the best manufacturer of hardware because the other ones in the market isn't good enough for a "fair" price if this doesn't apply to software too? Maybe things has changed to worse sneaky in front of our eyes and we didn't see it.

@Knight - I think you have a lot of devices and we have confirmed more than a few devices have the issue that causes high CPU. The thing is you will have to preform the certain "fixes" to get it to work with this version, though you might be better off by going with the previous version. I have included that in the front page.

It looks like C-attack gave some pointers on how to use profiles in older versions of iCue: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=178357 Though it doesn't look like it can revert back to regular Cue/Link

I think you biggest problem is you have so many Corsair devices, it looks like you have more than one that is causing the problem. I only have 1xK70 Lux and 2xLNP. That is why things worked out so well with me. There might be something else. Though you actually can contribute a bit. As it looks like one of a few things:

1) My instructions are poorly written.

2) You might be doing something wrong.

3) You discovered some perfect storm.

So in a way you have 66% you can help the community :) Though in all honesty this is better than having one piece of software for each product like my M60 and my H2100 required.

Why is this software suddenly "muh early access beta alpha work in progress +more buzzwords", it was not advertised as such anywhere else outside of the forums.

I'm getting tired of Corsair treating us like ****, this previous purchase was my last.

+1 person with H100i v2 with problems

I can also confirm the Dark Core is the problem for me. I use one at home and at work. My work computer had iCue CPU at 45% until I removed the Lighting effects for the mouse and it dropped to 5% (old CPU but 45 to 5 is quite noticeable). The K95 Plat was the only other iCue driven item.

On my home PC, CPU was at 14% before I removed Lighting on Dark Core SE. It drops to 1.5% with all these other devices in iCue:

K95 Platinum, MM800 RGB Polaris, H150i Pro, Lightning Node Pro with 1 RGB strip in each port, and a Commander Pro controlling 4 RGB strips, 4 LL120 and 2 LL140 fans.

The only lighting sequence is a solid color rain effect with Lighting Link on all devices.

@Knight - I think you have a lot of devices and we have confirmed more than a few devices have the issue that causes high CPU. The thing is you will have to preform the certain "fixes" to get it to work with this version, though you might be better off by going with the previous version. I have included that in the front page.

It looks like C-attack gave some pointers on how to use profiles in older versions of iCue: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=178357 Though it doesn't look like it can revert back to regular Cue/Link

I think you biggest problem is you have so many Corsair devices, it looks like you have more than one that is causing the problem. I only have 1xK70 Lux and 2xLNP. That is why things worked out so well with me. There might be something else. Though you actually can contribute a bit. As it looks like one of a few things:

1) My instructions are poorly written.

2) You might be doing something wrong.

3) You discovered some perfect storm.

So in a way you have 66% you can help the community :) Though in all honesty this is better than having one piece of software for each product like my M60 and my H2100 required.

@solarity - I'm aware of this method C-attack uses to "migrate" the data between iCUE versions. But I was unable to migrate from 3.3.103 to 3.2.87, I missed something that broke the entire process. I was very sleepy and tired working on workarounds since 8pm and was to sleep almost 6am.

Yes, I have many devices affected by this flaw, but it's not really entirely related to devices. Even on my notebook with absolutely no devices connected iCUE devours my CPU, so i moved on to CUE 2 because I actually only use the headset on it. But in my desktop PC I decided to downgrade to 3.2.87 and make the hard way backing up my profiles because, you know, I was a fool and didn't make one single backup in this version LOL

Regarding what you said, I agree that there might be something else. The 1 is absolutely not the case, but 2 and 3 it's possible hahaha even I don't think so, but you know, I was working on it for a very long time and this might have affected me in some way that I started to mess up with the things without notice at some point.

I tried to contribute to help the community as much possible as I can, but I work streaming games, making videos and developing apps, so I can't spend much time trying to solve a problem that is beyond my hands, talking about the code lines itself. I think we as a community did our part in this "job" very well and it's done, now it's Corsair time to do something definitely final.

I do agree with you it's better have one software to control everything. I dream with iCUE being able to handle Asus AuraSync using its API because the native Asus app sucks and devours some CPU resources too, but...

And finally, I did not get from where you found this "66%" of whatever I have hahaha

I'm a dumb! LMAO

I think we should probably start listing hardware and OS version when reporting to try and pin this to specific devices or hardware. I am seeing people with the same basic chipset and core hardware as me, but with drastically different results.

Asus Z370 Maximus X Code/8700K

Commander Pro

HD140 x 5

Corsair LED strips x 4

H115i Pro

K95 Platinum

M65 Pro

MM800 mouse pad

Win 10 PRO 1803 (17134.81)

The two Corsair services peak at about 2% each, for a total of 4%. Most of the time, it is less than three with the window up and CUE space open. Obviously, I am not affected by this. I might even be better than the prior version.

There is no sense to list system setup in comments since it's listed in system specs and is "against the rules" of this forum, as said in system specs editing panel. It lacks some useful fields but is good enough to show our system specs.

There is no sense to list system setup in comments since it's listed in system specs and is "against the rules" of this forum, as said in system specs editing panel. It lacks some useful fields but is good enough to show our system specs.

Having to menu drop on each and every person does not allow one to easily grab the data and move to next. People can put values in any way they choose and it contains a lot of extraneous information. Most people have incomplete system information.

The idea is not to add filler and make posts unnecessarily long, however I am having a hard time seeing anyone take issue with a legitimate purpose. Besides, I do have multiple systems and I am clarifying which system is using the iCUE 3.3 version. The people this is most likely to benefit are at Corsair. If they don't like it, they can say so.

Edited by c-attack

No offense taken. I am having a hard time picking out the pattern so far. Normally, I can scroll through and see it without having to methodically document it. Not this time. It might be helpful is we can push this issue into the hardware problem category or an installation problem. My instincts tell me the later, but that is not a solid foundation to work from.

I don't think it's installation problem. My guess is bad coding, like some mistaken loop or some thread stuck waiting for some action to trigger it out of the loop, which is not the intended and uses a lot of cpu resources for some obscure reason, it happens. As a dev, I saw a lot of these problems in my career and sometimes it's not easy to find the source of the problem, but I'm speculating here. I have experience with app development but what I said is purely speculation since I did't see the code, so I'm not 100% sure, of course.

Here I have problems with my Dell Inspiron 15 7560 using only my void surround and my desktop that I built myself. Both has cpu consumption of one core at 95%+ even that there is no devices connected, which leads me to think there is something else besides the lighting effects causing this behavior as my notebook doesn't have any profile with lights and still has high cpu usage.

In my desktop, jesus, I have a lot of things from Corsair connected to it and the problem are basically the same. I said a few post before that I even tried to remove all the profiles and removed the lighting for all my devices, but no changes.

I hope now that Corsair released the "full version" of iCUE they will work faster to release new builds to us.

Just to coop with you, based on your own pattern:

Desktop PC

Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME/7900X

Chipset Southbridge X299

Chipset Northbridge Skylake-X

Vengeance RGB

H115i

K95 RGB Platinum

Glaive RGB

MM800 mouse pad

ST100 Stand

Void Surround

Notebook PC

Dell Inspiron 7560/7500U

Chipset Southbridge Kaby Lake-Y PCH

Chipset Northbridge Kaby Lake

Void Surround

As mentioned by others, I had the previous icue installed and had zero issues, then updated, but heeded posted advice and pulled the micro USB on the processor cooler and then rebooted and icue went back to ZERO utilization from around 10-11% on a modern system (8700k).

For the record, it didn't seem in my case to have aggressive core affinity for the 10-11 percent.

That said, I agree with the posited assertion above about a thread-locking-poll with a programming problem, I've done it, it happens and those loops don't always stick out like a sore thumb. Seems fixable when they step through but they def. should look at what is happening with the processor coolers when USB is plugged in, mine is last gen btw.

EDIT Update: Just plugged it back in for reference and it jumped right back up from 0 with occasional 1-2 percent spikes to 10-11 again. :) This is definitely most folks problem.

Oh my bad read above about h115i being a problem that is definitely mine. :))

As recommended above, probably your best bet is to temporarily rename the file as below:

http://smithany.com/zprofile_h100iv2.xml.png

Edited by hastegag
update

I hope now that Corsair released the "full version" of iCUE they will work faster to release new builds to us.

I hope I turn out to be wrong, but the fact that Corsair is currently at Computex debuting new products doesn't bode well for the fix being released this week. In the meantime, I would love it if they could let us download the prior version of iCUE which had some minor bugs but nothing of this magnitude.

I hope I turn out to be wrong, but the fact that Corsair is currently at Computex debuting new products doesn't bode well for the fix being released this week. In the meantime, I would love it if they could let us download the prior version of iCUE which had some minor bugs but nothing of this magnitude.

The dev team is not at Computex, though Corsair James, the PM, is. They are working on this and have been for some time now.

While I would not expect a release this week (and there wouldn't be, regardless), I would expect to see one pretty quickly - it won't be as long between releases (3.3 -> 3.4) as it was between 3.2 and 3.3.

this version dude?

http://downloads.corsair.com/download?item=Files/CUE/CorsairUtilityEngineSetup_3.2.87_release.msi

Would be nice if things like this were fixed prior to release, I know it's early access but still something like this is painfully obvious as soon as you start iCUE.

It is actually officially released, I think this came as a surprise to many of us. They released new RAM and wanted to show the tool off and have much fan fair at Computex. It will get lots of coverage and I am betting many at Corsair where not to happy about the release so soon especially w/ this issue. Maybe they are banking about having it fix, before the majority of people give it a try. Many of us know that this is a great tool, though I do worry that others might not have the same patience. So the more help we give them pin pointing the bugs, the less time they have to spend finding it and the more time they can spend fixing them.

I love the fact they are letting us engage with them. It sure beats making a solution that fits my needs like I had to do with Gigabyte's RGB Fusion. After playing with CUE a year ago, it is hard not to cringe at everything else. iCue gives us a lot more :)

In my case, removing lighting effects of RAM fixes the issue. CPU usage reduces from 11% to 1% after turning off the light of RAM. Please help.

Unless us users find a quick work around, this issue might have to be patched.

I am fairly confident that this issue is the up most concern for Corsair. We have at least 3 closed Beta guys responding in this thread and an employee.

Your current options are:

1) Downgrading to the previous version, though your profiles won't be able to take the down grade with it.

2) Living with it till they patch or a work around is discovered :(

3) Using Cue2/Link, which won't be able to use your current profiles.

If you have simple profiles it might be worth it if you want to down grade, though if you have something complex, you might have to take the medicine and keep the RAM off, till it is patched. At least this issue will be resolved quickly and they are responding to us.