Corsair Community

H110iGTX fan speed goes up and down like a racing car's engine.

tifosi79

A have owned this cooler since 2015. Every component on my computer with the exception of the video card is exactly the same since day one. The video card was upgraded in August.

Since last week I noticed that the Fan RPM in the cooler starts spooling up and down during any gameplay or during any application that uses a lot of CPU power. It sounds like a engine being accelerated and decelerated. It is more obvious if the profile is QUIET, but it happens with all three profiles(Quiet, Balanced, Performance). Again, this only happens when I am playing games or running a CPU stress test application. It doesn't happen during idle or during internet surfing. No other fan in the computer is making this changes in RPM. The graph in Corsair LINK shows only the H110iGTX Fan RPM jumping up and down.

Things I have tried:

1. Removing and re-installing Corsair LINK didn't help. Yes, I am using the latest version 4.9.2.27. Under Options->Devices it shows that the Firmware is 2.4.0.0 and there is no option to check if there is an update for that as far as I know.

2. If I completely close Corsair LINK then the problem doesn't happen. I can play any game or run any CPU stress test application without any issues.

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Edited by tifosi79

Could you post a screenshot of the corsair link home tab please. It sounds like your fan speed is grouped with the CPU temp so it responds according to that. Try grouping the fan speed to the coolant temp which is much less prone to sudden up and down spikes. This should solve the problem. You can also take a little bit of time to setup a custom fan curve and tune it a bit to get the performance/noise levels exactly where you want them

Have a read through this thread if you have not already.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=172508

This is not a commonly reported issue and the solution suggested above resolves it 99% of time. CPU Package based control was not an option on the H110 GTX, unlike the H115i and its different firmware. Regardless, we now have two of you with the same issue on virtually the same cooler. My gut reaction is their is a software glitch, either within Link or between two programs, but we still need to isolate it. You are both on Asus boards and Windows 10. Beware of using AI Suite and Link at the same time. It is bound to cause some messy software interactions.

Can you list your exact Win 10 build? (settings gear, "About" at the bottom). I am curious if you both are on the Fall Creators Update (1709) or the prior 1703.

What version of Link are you using? 4.9.2.27. There is no way to update the firmware on the H110 GTX.

You are both having issues with the Quiet setting. Can you try using a fixed % or fixed RPM for the radiator fans. I want to see if it can hold the line. 700-800 rpm is all you would need for gaming or moderately high load. Just pick something not at the bottom or top of the scale.

I don't use AI Suite. OS Build 15063.726. Version 1703. I tried running different fixed %. 25%, 30%, 40% and the problem still happens. It happens with the Quiet and Balanced profiles, but not with the Performance profile. The RPM is pretty much flat with all those settings, but as soon as I start a CPU intensive game or a CPU stress test it goes crazy.

OK, so prior Windows and no major recent changes. I am concerned it won't hold a fixed percentage. If you have not already, contact Tech Support through the ticket system and detail the issue. Make sure you mention it will not hold a fixed speed either.

Two things you can try. 1) Roll back to Link 4.8.3. There seem to be some varying issues with 4.9.xx. Less complaints on 4.8 and this is an odd problem. Also, this just started and roughly coincides with the update period. Not conclusive, but probably worth the effort. 2) Set a manual curve with various fixed points you are happy with (low speed is fine). Make the last point well off in the distance at around 50-55C. The next to last point should be around 40-45 (where you would normally stop the line). There was a specific bug with curves on the GTX models and it related to the end point on the curve being to close to actual temps. It's been a long day and I can't remember the specifics. It will probably resurface in the morning.

If the above fail, I would move the fans off the pump controller and onto the motherboard -- if you have not done so already.

If the above fail, I would move the fans off the pump controller and onto the motherboard -- if you have not done so already.

On my motherboard I have three options to plug in the fans. W_Pump, CPU_OPT, CPU_Fan. I have the cooler connected to the CPU_Fan. Should I plug the two fans into CPU_Fan,CPU_OPT and have the one cable coming from the cooler into the W_Pump connector?

Yes, for this cooler and Asus boards, move the fans to their own headers on CPU and OPT. OPT will copy the CPU fan curve automatically. You do not want to combine 2 SP140L fans on a splitter. The combined current is too high. The pump lead only reports half the pump speeed and is really there to prevent a boot error. Since AIO Pump or W_Pump is vacant, it can be discarded there with no ill effects. No need to worry about that one and the preset disabled/full speed fan setting should prevent other Asus features from trying to tune it or fruitlessly alter its speed. Edited by c-attack

Hi both, my results are exactly the same. Fixed RPM doesn't fix the issue and neither does killing C link.

In the end, I've decided to scrap the cooler and move to air tower. It's a shame, but I never did expect such a low quality from Corsair.

Thank you c-attack for the help!

Hi both, my results are exactly the same. Fixed RPM doesn't fix the issue and neither does killing C link.

In the end, I've decided to scrap the cooler and move to air tower. It's a shame, but I never did expect such a low quality from Corsair.

Thank you c-attack for the help!

Try rolling back to Link 4.8.3 before you go. What you both are describing is rare. There are also water coolers that are non-software based that may be appealing. You can also use it without the software at all in the same configuration as listed above. It is not necessary to run Link or let it have control over the fans, but I am still wondering where the problem is for both of you.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I was searching on internet when I came across this post.

I have a problem that looks like the one described in this post, and in this one:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=172508

On my side, I noticed that I had the problem for the first time after the update of Icue which integrated the control of the H115i, before I did not have the problem.

Like for the other 2 users, I have an Asus motherboard and windows 10.

When I do not play video games, the fans are always silent and turn slowly, but as soon as I start a video game, after a few minutes they rev very fast and make a hellish noise !

At the end of a round for example, when I'm in the game menu, the fans starts to rev up and down continuously, at intervals of about a second. It's boring and I'm afraid it will damage the fans.

While playing, If I'm doing Alt + Tab to go back under windows, the fans change instantly for a slow speed, and they revs up as soon as I get back into the game.

It's strange and paradoxical, because at the beginning of the game they turn slowly, and then revs up when the CPU is more stressed, between each round they revs up and down. This is not normal but it seems to follow the temperature, except when when I do Alt + Tab to put the game in the taskbar and be on Windows, the fans are going slow speed instantly but the temperature couldn't have evolved during this period of time.

Whatever the curve used, the problem is the same. I also try to set the system to have a straight curve => 50% rotation rate whatever the temperature, it has no effect.

I also try to put a delay in the bios Asus => wait 20 sec after the drop in temperature to decrease the rotation speed, but it does not change anything.

This evening I will try to describe my configuration in detail and I will try to record a curve in iCue to show you how the fans behave according to the temperature.

Your BIOS setting will have no effect on the H115i, assuming the fans are connected to the H115i pump fan controller and not elsewhere. If you plugged the fan into the motherboard, then iCUE will not have any control over them.

Unlike the H110i GTX in the posts above, your H115i can use other variables for fan control. Make sure the sensor control variable above your graph is not set to CPU Package temp or anything but H115i Temp.

Hello,

My computer configuration is :

MB : Asus Rog Strix X299 E-Gaming

CPU : Intel core i7 7820X

Cooler : Corsair H115i

PSU : Corsair RM 1000i

Case : Corsair Obsidian 750 D

RAM : G.Skilll Trident Z32 3200 CL15 (4x8Go)

GC : Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Xtrem Amp Ed.

SSD : Samsung 850 Pro 1To

HDD : WD Red 4 To

Keybord : Corsair K70 Lux RGB FR

Mouse : Roccat Aimo

Corsair H115i connected as recommended in the manual : pump power cable connected to the CPU_FAN on the MB, fans connected to the two connectors coming from the pump.

Corsair link connected (PSU RM1000i too). Please note that to connect both H115i and RM1000i to the only one internal USB port available, both are connected through a "NZXT AC-IUSBH-M1 Internal USB Hub with 3 Internal Connectors and 2 External Connectors".

MB Bios and H115i settings :

181017023257837400.jpg

181017023257718774.jpg

H115i temperature while playing Rainbow Six Siege during 30 minutes

181017023815726886.jpg

Fan Speed during this time

181017023815832305.jpg

Strangely I didn't have the problem of incessant variation of rev speed during the pause phases between the rounds.

I'll post a picture next time that happens.

Thank you.

Hello again,

Print screen from this evening while playing video games. I've also uploaded a short video, to make you listen to what it's like.

From what I observe, I think that the problem of the fans, which continuously accelerates and decelerates at intervals of about 1 second, only occurs when the temperature rises above and below 40°C, but I don't understand why.

I do not understand why the fan speed changes when I switch between the game and Windows with Alt + Tab, even without playing and with a stable temperature. Is there a Windows or an Asus setting that could force more cooling during video games ?

http://www.k-upload.com/image_screen/vide_2018-10-18-1a27a06a8201810180106.jpg

181018023821779373.jpg

181018022908212311.jpg

181018022908498263.jpg

181018022907879196.jpg

That is strange and the fans do not appear to be following their instructions. Even on the initial "cold shot" with coolant at 31C, the fans were at 900 rpm. That is nowhere near what is prescribed on the fan curve for that temperature.

I don''t have a good explanation for the behavior at this moment. The only thing that comes to mind was a very old glitch on the original H110i GTX where the fans would max out when you reached the last temperature control point, regardless of what it was set to run. That is kind of what it looks like with things escalating sharply at the 40C mark. The old fix for the that was to stick your last temp control point way out at 50-60C, but you have already done that. I guess make sure the H115i firmware is up to date in the settings menu. Perhaps someone else will have a better idea.

Hello,

I wonder if I shouldn't open a ticket on the corsair support website, to get some help, I really don't know how to solve this problem, I tried everything.

This evening I tried Something else, instead of using my custom curve, I tried the auto mode called "Balanced".

Under Windows and just after system startup, the H115i fans are unnecessarily fast and Noisy.

Then I launched a video game, and the fan rev speed immediately decreased…

This is exactly the opposite of what happens with my custom curve and when the temperature is higher.

In fact, tonight's tests confirm that :

- Something happens when the temperature reaches 40 ° C,

- The system reacts as if it was using two curves, one for Windows that normally follows what is set in iCue (Custom, Quiet, Balanced and Extreme), and another curve in games, that follow I don't know which setting when the temp is lower than 40°C, and that increase the speed when the temp is above 40°C.

181019020749454987.jpg

181019020749305496.jpg

Yes, you should start a support ticket with Corsair. I thought you already had. I don't know if the advice is going to be different, but if there is a problem with the cooler and it needs to be replaced under the warranty terms, this will be a necessary step anyway.

Well no, that fan speed is looks about right for the balanced preset. Those preset points are based on a specific starting coolant temperature and the amount of heat it takes to raise the coolant by a degree, etc. Of course, we all have different room temperatures so that makes it rather hit or miss. Oh and yes, it is unnecessarily loud and fast, but that is by design. Use your custom curves. If the cooler won't follow a custom curve, that is reason enough for replacement.

What I am trying to determine is if this is a unique software bug or a hardware problem (wonky internal fan controller). Those drops are concerning and usually indicative of a problematic controller. The inverse reaction under load is particularly strange. Perhaps one thing to try is 1) Quit iCUE. 2) Kill the Corsair.Service 32bit and Corsair Display Service in the Task manager. Make sure you quit the app before the services or they will restart automatically. At this point, the cooler should be operating on its firmware saved fan curve, either original or what you "saved to the device". While you can't see the graphs, you certainly will be able to hear the fans if they are ramping up and down. If they do, then I think the controller is dying. If they do not, then there may be a problem with this iCUE install and I would back up your iCUE folder to another location (C:Users/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair/iCUE), then uninstall and reboot. There was a new iCUE released this week (3.8.91). Install the new version and do not load any old profiles or reinsert the App Data/Roaming/Corsair folder yet. See if it behaves normally with a single profile and fan curve. If OK, then you can drop the old profile folder back in that same place and it will restore all your old saved settings. If you don't have a lot of profiles or settings, just start fresh.

Hi,

I tried what you said, just by closing iCue the problem goes away, I do not even had to kill the tasks in the task manager.

As soon as I restart iCue, the problem comes back.

I will try to uninstall and reinstall it, but I don't want to lose my saved profiles, because for each game I have macros, custom colors, and so on…

Without iCue and after 1 hours gaming, the fans run at a speed that the CPU doesn't heat up, and it's quiet.

181021083822998021.jpg

Are you using Link or iCUE? You don't need both and I can't see any hardware that is not iCUE compatible. If you want to try Link to see if there is a difference, by all means.

To save all your iCUE settings, profiles, and backgrounds, go to the C:Users/(name)/AppData (hidden folder)/Roaming/Corsair and copy the CUE folder to the desktop or someplace safe. I do this each and every iCUE update in case something goes horribly wrong and I need to roll back to an older version. We have already seen file saving type changes between versions that make using converted profiles on older version impossible, thus this can be more advantageous that exporting. It also saves all the links and backgrounds, unlike the export method.

Link saves its data in a completely different place, so iCUE will not write over it. However, you will need to uninstall iCUE to get Link control.

I am not sure what is going on with your control, but it does seem to be software based, so the a reinstall or trying Link may be a good idea. The only other thought that crossed my mind was if you linked your games to a specific profile in iCUE with fan curve pattern A, then when you drop to the desktop the default profile (top of the list in iCUE) becomes active with fan profile B, causing a sudden change.

• Confused 1

Problem solved, thanks for your help.

While saving each profile before uninstalling iCue, I noticed that the fan speed was not he same while I was swaping from one profil to another.

It's because fan settings are linked to each profil and I didn't know that, so I had differents settings depending of the profils used => "Custom curve" for Windows profil, and "quiet" preset curve for the other profils.

181022014235195639.jpg181022014235373349.jpg

The only thing I did to solve that problem, was to link the custom curve to each profil.

That confirm what I had noticed and what I said in my first message, the problem had appeared right after the first version of iCue which integrated the management of H115i.

When updating, the quiet curve was probably assigned by default to all existing profile, while I probably assigned the custom curve to the windows profile, thinking that it applied to all profiles.

I still find it unnatural to make fans ramping up and down as you can hear on the video … but now I'm happy to have a normal operation of my system.

181022014235631233.jpg181022014235892722.jpg

I made some new profiles this morning and was greeted by the rush of fan noise upon hitting the "+" symbol. That is usually a reminder I need to copy the fan settings for all my devices. You can make them unique to each profile, like an aggressive fan curve for a rendering program. Or you can make them all the same and use the "copy to" function in the drop down menu to apply fan speeds and pump speeds to all profiles. Note you need to do that for both fans and pump.

Also, your custom curve is wildly inappropriate for cooler if the H115i Temp is the source for the curve. That curve is more like something based on CPU Temperature (which you shouldn't do). Your peak temperature should be in the 40-45C range for your coolant.

OK thanks for this tip, so I will increase the cooling.

Do you think that I should rather use a pre-registered factory curve ?

Note that my CPU is not overclocked, and that with current games it is about 50% maximum load, and yesterday after several hours of gaming with the current curve, the temperature (H115i) was stabilized at 39.4°C for 1320 RPM.

In this regard I wonder if there is not another problem or if it is the normal function, but after playing and being returned under the Windows desktop (when I took these screenshots), the t ° was blocked at 39.4 ° C and the fans at 1320RPM as seen on the previous post, and even after 30 minutes and by trying to change profile for the fans, no change in temperature and fan speed, while there was no more load for the CPU ???

No, that is what it’s supposed to do. The cooling system does not need to react to cpu load or cpu temperature. Only the coolant temperature. For each +1C of coolant temp, you also increase the minimum or base cpu temp by +1C. However that also means the change in coolant temperature is the maximum possible reduction at any fan speeds or settings. If your coolant goes +5 from the starting point, then you can only decrease cpu temp by -5C. Nothing is 100% efficient do you will never maintain a zero coolant rise.

The only change you need to make to your curve is to slide the 100% mark down to 50-60C. You will never make it to 80C and pc will shutdown long before that. We don’t want you to use the 100% speed setting at 50C+ it should be out of reach. However, this will give you a very definite audible warning if your temps are out of the normal zone and you need to investigate. All your other points can stay just where they are. Even 1300 rpm is a touch loud for me. You can tone it down a little and see what effect that has on coolant temperature.