Corsair Community

Commander pro and silent wings 3 pwm

Badgerslayer7

Hello. I was thinking about getting some silent wings 3 for a new build I’m doing and was going to connect them via a commander pro. I have read on the Corsair forums that there might be a compatibility issue with these and just wanted to know if anybody had this set up running and that the issue had been fixed. Any help would be much appreciated.

There has been no change as far as I am aware. This is a hardware issue, so not something that can be taken care of in an update and I suspect there would be some discussion over who needs to make the fix. This affects the PWM models only, including high speed. The DC models work just fine. If you really like SW3, I would suggest getting the DC variant. Until recently, I had been running them from my C-Pro for a long time without any issues. The problem is strictly PWM signal related.

The twin pack is a grey blade with no corner pads. The ML140 Pro is all black (or translucent blades on the LED version) and of course has the corner padding. The other thing worth noting is the motor on the twin pack version has a different current draw (0.259A) than the Pro Black (0.202A). While the actual amperage is irrelevant and fairly low, it does suggest the motor on the twin pack version is not the same as the Pro.

Coincidentally, I just finished rotating my HDs out and ML-RGB fans in. I have not run them on current configuration and realized I was 2 MLs short of the 9 I needed. Easy enough to use any my other non-RGB ML fans on the bottom radiator. I had the choice of the ML Pro, ML Pro LED White, and the twin pack. I freely admit being hyper critical about fan tone and sound in general, but in free air testing before I made the switch, the ML twin pack version had a noticeably coarser tone than either of my Pro models. Once again, I don't think it is the same motor and that is not surprising. Deleting a pair of rubber corners and black paint is not going to get you a 50% reduction in production costs.

If you are in the US, you might consider a refurbished ML from Amazon. Selling for $15 or about half price of a new model. Significant savings if loading up.