Corsair Community

H110i with Phanteks PH-F140MP fans

buster2006

Hi all. I've run into an issue with my H110i whereby the RPM is stuck at a low value (around 500) on the FAN2 connector using a 3rd party fan.

The fans in question are the Phanteks PH-F140MP. The FAN1 RPM is fine and changes speed depending on the profile selected in iCue/Link. FAN2 however is stuck at 500RPM despite changing speed profiles. It's not the fans either; I've connected them to a motherboard header and can change speed in BIOS no problem. It also doesn't matter which of fans in connected to which connecter on the H110i, it's always FAN2 that has low RPM.

I did create a ticket with Corsair and they initially granted an RMA. I thought I'd check the stock fans before sending the unit back and they appear to work with no problem. After some back and forth with Corsair they've said it's a compatibility issue (and it doesn't look like they'll honour the RMA as the stock fans work ok). Thing is I've seen plenty of reviews of these fans stating they work fine with the H110i.

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone using these fans with an H110i? I don't understand how a fan can be incompatible (but only on one connector).

[edit] Corsair have told me to send it back. We'll see what happens.

Edited by buster2006

Skipping a few semesters of electrical engineering, the short version is electronic signals are more complex than you would think and there are a few scattered compatibility issues between PWM controllers and certain fans. I do not have any Phanteks models anymore, but we have seen this with other fans on various other controllers. The effects vary. It can be an unusual response curve. It can get stuck. You could try a 2 way PWM splitter (that's 4+3 pins) and run it from Fan connector #1. There is no disadvantage to this since you don't want or need independent fan control for the radiator. An RMA is a bit of nuisance and that might be a more acceptable compromise than swapping it out for a new unit that may also have the same condition. Edited by c-attack
Lol. Predictive text. Yes, Apple... “Teamsters” is a more common word than “semesters”.

Thanks for the reply.

I've sent it back anyway, we'll see what happens.

If they don't replace it, or the new unit has the same problem, what kind of splitter are you referring to? What do you mean by "4+3"? Both the H110i and the fans I'm using are 4-pin...you've confused me (easily done) :p:

Is it ok running both fans off of one connector? There's a post on here somewhere of a guy doing just that, but running 4 fans total (for push/pull) who ended up breaking the H110i due to current limitations.

I know 2 of my Phanteks have a lower combined amperage than that of a single Corsair fan, but I just want to make sure.

The H110i (GT) has two independent fan control channels, so each wire coming off the the pump is one 4 pin PWM controller. A PWM splitter works differently. Both wires have a power, ground, speed wire, but only one control wire and signal for both fans. They both operate from the same source. So one connector has 4 pins and the other with 3 has the unnecessary pin removed. This sometimes confuses users and it won’t match the “splitter” on the H110i, which is not a splitter at all.

Current limit for each fan channel is 1.0A on that model - same as your motherboard. It’s hard to go past that with recent fans unless you throw on something industrial or very high speed. Old RGB high speed fans were a menace as well, but you don’t see those around any more. I don’t have the specs for your Phanteks in front of me, but surely it will be in the 0.20-0.30A range. That is fine. Anything under 0.80A total is substantially safe. Current is not a static value and is measured as an average, so once you get into that last 10-20% of the limit, there is some risk.

Edited by c-attack

Well, props to Corsair. They accepted my RMA and sent out a replacement which arrived yesterday. They've actually sent me an H115i Pro instead. I'm assuming this is just an updated model?

Anyhoo, I've performed a quick test and connected the Phanteks fans to it; no problems whatsoever. I can adjust RPM on both fans with no issue.

Yes, it is a newer model with some changes. It is a different OEM partner as well. The more linear sequel is the Platinum H115i, however if you peruse the cooling section a bit, you'll see it pop up too often. I have a H115i Pro and it has been very reliable. Same current limit as above.