Corsair Community

Bulldog and Lapdog FAQ

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

the Hydro Series H5SF mount design is the key! now if only i have a way of mounting that in my case. possibly above the PCI slots for gpu? or eat up a PCI slot. or an option to use it for the HG10.

bulldogs design of the entire case look really nice. and loved how the form factor still has an option for your choice of gpu.

i have mixed feeling for lapdog. when playing games i want my monitor and keyboard to have an angel and elevation. sitting the keyboard in my lap might be abit jiggly or wont get that stability a desk offers.

i might get a bulldog when its available locally. and probably install steam :)

• Corsair Employee

The H5 SF utilizes an L-bracket that wraps around the back of the mini-ITX board with standoffs to hold up the radiator/blower fan unit. The block itself uses the traditional CoolIT mount.

It's not usable with HG10 (at least not easily) and honestly I'd strongly recommend against it. We rate the H5 SF for a peak capacity of 150W; anything more than maybe a bone stock GTX 980 will overwhelm it.

• 2 weeks later...

Could the bulldog be used as a standard pc -

example with lower end market components - fan cooling not water cooling

only reason i ask is .....

its the only horizontal corsair case that i have seen that will work on a TV stand

i would like to use one to build a pc for lounge use and streaming steam games

i wouldn't need a graphics card - Spec would possibly be Quad Core, 8gb memory

The H5 SF utilizes an L-bracket that wraps around the back of the mini-ITX board with standoffs to hold up the radiator/blower fan unit. The block itself uses the traditional CoolIT mount.

It's not usable with HG10 (at least not easily) and honestly I'd strongly recommend against it. We rate the H5 SF for a peak capacity of 150W; anything more than maybe a bone stock GTX 980 will overwhelm it.

What is the max recommended TDP for an H55?

I've been hoping for blower style CPU coolers to catch on. Putting two H5SF (one for cpu, one for gpu) side by side blowing out the top could make for a nice low profile cooling system. But perhaps the cooling performance is not quite there yet.

H55's heat capacity varies; if you have it affixed to a GPU, I've found the wheels start to shake at around 325W.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like my idea is a no go.

It has always puzzled me that so much heat-sink is required for a 95W CPU when a 250W GPU can get by with a dual slot cooler and a small blower fan.

• Corsair Employee

It's related to heat transfer. For a CPU, there are two additional layers that have to transfer heat than there are on a GPU - the heatspreader, and the solder/TIM under the heatspreader that interfaces with the CPU die.

For a GPU, the die is exposed. That heat gets transferred directly into the block, it's much more efficient.

• 1 month later...

1) Aside from the HG10 bracket and Hydro GFX, can other GPU liquid-cooled bundles work; such as the EVGA Titan X Hybrid, or perhaps an AMD graphics card? Can you also use a Quadro instead of a gaming GPU with the HG10 bracket?

2) For aesthetics and monitoring purposes, could a fan capable of RGB lighting be used with CUE on the Bulldog; to change its colour based on system temperature? If so, might you plan to release an RGB fan of your own in the future?

3) Are there plans for PSUs compatible with Bulldog after its release higher than 900W?

4) How large a hard drive can the Bulldog accommodate?

Edited by Hyncharas

• Corsair Employee
Can bulldog place vertically with mount on the bottom:confused::confused:????

No. It can only be oriented horizontally.

1) Aside from the HG10 bracket and Hydro GFX, can other GPU liquid-cooled bundles work; such as the EVGA Titan X Hybrid, or perhaps an AMD graphics card? Can you also use a Quadro instead of a gaming GPU with the HG10 bracket?

We do have one Quadro card on our compatibility list. We've tested for compatibility with HG10, Hydro GFX, and the Radeon R9 Fury X.

2) For aesthetics and monitoring purposes, could a fan capable of RGB lighting be used with CUE on the Bulldog; to change its colour based on system temperature? If so, might you plan to release an RGB fan of your own in the future?

We don't have an RGB fan and I can't comment on future products.

3) Are there plans for PSUs compatible with Bulldog after its release higher than 900W?

Not currently. Honestly, because Bulldog utilizes the SFX12V form factor, it's very costly to increase capacity beyond the 600W unit Bulldog is launching with. I can only think of very fringe circumstances where the 600W PSU would be inadequate for a system you could build in Bulldog anyhow.

4) How large a hard drive can the Bulldog accommodate?

Bulldog fits a single 3.5" drive and a single 2.5" drive, or three 2.5" drives.

Dustin, any updates on Lapdog availability? It would make a great Christmas gift... ;-)

Unfortunately, you're going to have to wait. Lapdog is still being developed and won't be available until Q1 2016 at the earliest.

It is a shame there's such a gap between Bulldog's release and Lapdog's, particularly when they were designed to complement each other. Though I want to hold out for those products, Corsair could offer an RGB gaming bundle of the Strafe, Scimitar and Void...

After looking over the HG10 980's specs, could it accept a Quadro M5000 instead of an M6000, given they are the same dimensions?

Edited by Hyncharas