Corsair Community

Will the CLNP + CLCP control any 5V WS2812B addressable 5050 RGB LED Strip

red-ray

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. Never tried it. Don't know if it will work but I doubt it would damage anything. If you do try it please do post your results. Google may turn up something.

I decided to go ahead and test the parallel setup and yes, the strips synchronize successfully in parallel!! :biggrin: Now to see if you can chain parallel sections in serial on each channel.

• 1 month later...

I noticed these LED strips are directional. First time I got lucky, but the second strip didn't work at first because I was starting from the wrong end.

The strips have arrows on them. Didn't see that mentioned anywhere before.

I played around in SIV with 96 led strips but really 96 led strips are too long to be practical. I had some high density LEDs too and that was about the right length if using 96 LEDs but Corsair link 4 only addresses 40 which is about a foot long.

So, I too am hoping Corsair allow more LEDs in firmware, so that high density strips are more practical.

I like the parallel wiring mentioned above, but I think we need to watch the current draw. Is there a reachable current limit per channel? If we are powering our Node Pros or link Commander Pros via SATA?

Edited by dorbot

I noticed these LED strips are directional. First time I got lucky, but the second strip didn't work at first because I was starting from the wrong end.

The strips have arrows on them. Didn't see that mentioned anywhere before.

I played around in SIV with 96 led strips but really 96 led strips are too long to be practical. I had some high density LEDs too and that was about the right length if using 96 LEDs but Corsair link 4 only addresses 40 which is about a foot long.

So, I too am hoping Corsair allow more LEDs in firmware, so that high density strips are more practical.

I like the parallel wiring mentioned above, but I think we need to watch the current draw. Is there a reachable current limit per channel? If we are powering our Node Pros or link Commander Pros via SATA?

The limit on current draw for the SATA 5V rail is 4.5V. Some of that is used for the MCU in the NoPro but exactly how much isn't exactly clear. It's pretty safe to be able to go up to 60 LEDs per connection (6 of the Corsair strips). Over that you start getting into dangerous territory.

I think siv estimates the current in amps drawn per channel, but I don't know what the total limit is.

Anyway, I've decided to use Link 4 for the LED's at the moment and to just use 40 per channel for now because frankly I'm struggling to fit it all in the case.

I'll need to buy some more strips at VAST expense from China if I want to use Siv to control everything with 96 ( or more later I hope) led strips. I might put a long strip along both sides and the back of the desk or maybe 2 in opposite directions for the true pimp look. But my computer already looks like some kind of seedy neon brothel from a dystopian sci-fi future.....

EDIT : 4.5 Amps is the SATA 5 Volt current limit apparently, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by dorbot

I think siv estimates the current in amps drawn per channel, but I don't know what the total limit is.

Anyway, I've decided to use Link 4 for the LED's at the moment and to just use 40 per channel for now because frankly I'm struggling to fit it all in the case.

I'll need to buy some more strips at VAST expense from China if I want to use Siv to control everything with 96 ( or more later I hope) led strips. I might put a long strip along both sides and the back of the desk or maybe 2 in opposite directions for the true pimp look. But my computer already looks like some kind of seedy neon brothel from a dystopian sci-fi future.....

EDIT : 4.5 Amps is the SATA 5 Volt current limit apparently, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes its 4.5 amps total for the Commander Pro.

You can make your own cable so only ground and data come from the Commander Pro (or Lighting Node Pro). Take the 5VDC pin from the LEDs and tie it to a 5VDC ouptut from the system power supply. I have done this and it works. That way, the drive current is not flowing through the Commander Pro (or Lighting Node Pro).

I have never tried putting stips in parallel so good to know that it works. I would not try doing it with more than 2 strips in parallel though. It might work...

I only use SIV for control of my Link products. I have a total of 261 LEDs running in my rig - 159 under SIV control and 102 under Asus AURA control (plus the MOBO LEDs). I have 3 different Corsair fan types and 114 WS2812B LEDs divided into several strips. I have a Commander Pro, 2 Lighting Node Pros, and and LED hub for the fans. Those high density WS2812B strips do get awfully bright. I just cut one up into smaller sections and soldered connectors on the ends (which is kind of hard to do on those strips).

It all works great though I do have some of the high density strips dialed back to 60% brightness due to current limitation concerns. I am pretty sure that Link could not control all of this the way SIV can. SIV can do everything Link does except the software playback for LL series fans. It can also do a lot of things Link cannot do, though there are other limitations imposed by the Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pro firmware that you just can't get around.

Anyway, it's good to see people exploring, trying new things, and pushing the limits. If anyone is interested, I posted more details about this LED crazy rig here.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174049

Have fun everyone! And watch those current limitations.

• 7 months later...

I looked a bit and I did not understand very much, also because I do not Italian so I can hardly understand everything.

I saw the photos of the links in the previous place but I did not understand if I have to take an external power if I wanted to put a stricia of 3 meters.

In other words, how do I need to connect the cables if I buy an inexpensive addressable strip on Amazon?

There are two ways to connect:

1) Get a Lighting Node Pro (which comes with strips) and a PSU that is separate from your PC's PSU (and is outside the case). Put a switch on the PSU, power the LNP from that PSU, and use a standard miniUSB cable to connect the LNP to an external USB-A port. As an alternate to the PSU, if you can get/build a 5V power source with a SATA connection, that would work too.

2) Run cables from your PC to the outside. Depending on your case, this may require a bit of modification. However, USB header brackets, with the USB ports removed, actually work pretty well for this.

I like the external LND very much.

So after I have to feed the strip with a 5V power supply and the LND takes power from the usb if I understand correctly.

Is there a picture or a diagram where I can understand how to colleagle everything?

So can I take any strisia addressable?

Thank you very much for your help

You need a SATA power connection; the LNP takes very little power over USB (< 100mA). USB doesn't provide anywhere near enough amperage to run the lights.

And Zotty's diagrams on the RGB FAQ would be the best source - he's got several of his running "outside the box".

It's at the bottom of the RGB FAQ - the link is in my signature. Look for "Advanced Corsair RGB Setups".

Found, I looked a bit the various explanations but does not speak to connect the normal led strips.

Reading the previous posts I realized that there is a limit of LEDs due to the Amps and the maximum number of LEDs controllable, what are the exact limits of both?

Then just connect the two wires as in the picture to make the LEDs go?

attachment.php?attachmentid=34472&stc=1&d=1541242194

1246874162_062017TempWiring.png.dab0acc10d57b27f073ac2027d0dec8c.png

You want to keep each channel to about 2A max. That'll be 10W. So you can do a bit over 1m per channel.

From there, you'll need to configure the channel based on the number of LEDs. So you might have to actually configure it as a fan rather than a strip.

1 LED Strip = 10 LEDs; up to 6 per channel (60 LEDs)

1 HD Fan = 12 LEDs; up to 6 per channel (72 LEDs)

1 LL Fan = 16 LEDs; up to 6 per channel (96 LEDs)

There's the math.

Now ... in all seriousness ... you do realize that you are entering into "unsupported" territory. If you need this level of assistance ... where, given the specifications, you can't determine your max load ... you may want to seriously rethink if that's a good idea. Not trying to be harsh, dude - just suggesting. Because you're also gonna need to do completely custom wiring to get it to work. Given the pinouts, will you be able to do that?

For this I ask you, to be helped because they are able to make the welds connections but here I did not understand how to connect everything.

So I understand now how the thing of the maximum controllable LED works.

Ok so ineria configuring as LL fans I can do it.

Now I have a commander pro, with a connected 3x ML120 PRO and 4 corsair strips, so if I connect an additional LNP, can I control 90LED if I set up as LL fans?

For this I ask you, to be helped because they are able to make the welds connections but here I did not understand how to connect everything.

So I understand now how the thing of the maximum controllable LED works.

Ok so ineria configuring as LL fans I can do it.

Now I have a commander pro, with a connected 3x ML120 PRO and 4 corsair strips, so if I connect an additional LNP, can I control 90LED if I set up as LL fans?

You can, yes. However, you may overload the single port on the LNP. Keep it under about 2A ... you can maybe go to 2.1A (I'd have to check the fuse) ... per port on the LNP. In most cases, 90 LEDs will be more than that.

What a mess, corsair had fun doing a closed system :-(

If it became too impossible I took two kits of strips only then I can use only 6 so even there it is not convenient.

Given the unified system and the software done so well it is really a pity that you can not easily connect non-proprietary strips.

Can I feed them externally and use only the LNP to control the colors?

The limit of 2.1A is for sinoglo connector sin or in total of the two?