Corsair Community

Unable to boot with XMP CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 on Asus z170 pro gaming MB

r-Z

Alright, I just got an update from our DRAM, and according to them, Asus is fully aware of this XMP profile not loading properly in BIOS with Z170 boards. From the sound of it, a later BIOS rev will address this issue.

In the meantime, for those Z170 owners that have a kits that's rated at 3000-3200, you guys can RMA those kits and we'll get them replaced for you.

I'll provide more update as they come along.

Do we need to return our memory???

If so what will it be exchanged with?

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So basically we shall continue to wait until a BIOS revision addresses the XMP issue?

Also can i question why we would need to RMA our kits if its a BIOS issue?

Is it also an issue with the kits? this is getting confusing.

To summarize my question:

To achieve the advertised XMP settings, do i need to wait for a BIOS revision or RMA my kit as its a problem with the RAM?

So basically we shall continue to wait until a BIOS revision addresses the XMP issue?

Also can i question why we would need to RMA our kits if its a BIOS issue?

Is it also an issue with the kits? this is getting confusing.

To summarize my question:

To achieve the advertised XMP settings, do i need to wait for a BIOS revision or RMA my kit as its a problem with the RAM?

We need an answer please!

It is all a bit silly, especially asking us to RMA it but providing no information!!!

How can you advertise this!!!!!

"""Performance and Compatibility

Vengeance LPX is optimized and compatibility tested for the latest Intel 100 Series motherboards and offers higher frequencies, greater bandwidth, and lower power consumption.

XMP 2.0 support for trouble-free automatic overclocking"""

This was taking from newegg page!!!! Her is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233868..

How can you advertise this!!!!!

"""Performance and Compatibility

Vengeance LPX is optimized and compatibility tested for the latest Intel 100 Series motherboards and offers higher frequencies, greater bandwidth, and lower power consumption.

XMP 2.0 support for trouble-free automatic overclocking"""

This was taking from newegg page!!!! Her is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233868..

Anyone from admin please answer! guys this is pretty poor feedback and inconsistent!!!

Anyone from admin please answer! guys this is pretty poor feedback and inconsistent!!!

Yeah its taking some time now. Especially when the RAM was advertised to fully function with z100 boards.

I feel kind of ripped off that i forked out the extra dollars to get the 3200mhz kit. i could of saved some money and put it towards something else.

• Administrators
The forum admins have nothing to do with product information. Not sure why you would want us to respond to it.

I've asked that someone with more info respond to this thread.

The forum admins have nothing to do with product information. Not sure why you would want us to respond to it.

I've asked that someone with more info respond to this thread.

Alright, I just got an update from our DRAM, and according to them, Asus is fully aware of this XMP profile not loading properly in BIOS with Z170 boards. From the sound of it, a later BIOS rev will address this issue.

In the meantime, for those Z170 owners that have a kits that's rated at 3000-3200, you guys can RMA those kits and we'll get them replaced for you.

I'll provide more update as they come along.

ok so nothing to do with forum admins, no excuse really although I should have said Corsair employee's. My mistake but that comment makes it worse!

Just some basic comms is all that is required, clever comments are not needed, just an update or an answer to things such as this quote -

"In the meantime, for those Z170 owners that have a kits that's rated at 3000-3200, you guys can RMA those kits and we'll get them replaced for you."

Why, are is it bad memory, we all paid good money for premium RAM from a good supplier, will it damage our motherboards (probably not but who knows, if anyone you should). Hopefully not but we don't know, maybe you don't but tell us something.

It would be much appreciated and help, after all it was an employee from Corsair that posted the comments about RMAing the RAM!

Don't like to be grumpy but really this is not difficult to help with and provide timely updates. Even we are working on it and will get back to you every few days!

Edited by n0v

Hi Guys This is my First post on the Forum and was browsing when I saw this thread. Looking at a lot of these posts I was surprised at so many having issues. My system has never failed to boot since the home build ( had a old EVGA 680 - A m/board and DDR2 memory { a 2007 system } ).

In My case. I had a dual channel Kit of 16GB of DDR4 3000 mhz Vengance LPX, and was surprised that my benchmark scores were a lot lower than expected. And Like a lot of you I had set The Bios to use the XMP. BUT nothing improved until I went to the Asus site and saw the Z170-A BIOS 0901 (Update Intel ME version to 1168, Enhance DDR4 compatibility ). Thinking I had little to lose, I downloaded and flashed the latest Bios Z170-A BIOS 1302.

The MB spent quite a while rebooting the system after flashing the Bios, (I opted to use the USB stick method) but I got a great and fast system, I OC the board using the smart setting to 15% OC and still good.

I then took a leap of faith and replaced the 16GB pair with a 32GB quad channel setup, and thats also OC.

Maybe I just got Lucky, But suspect there are other good working Asus / Corsair combos out there!

• Corsair Employee
Why, are is it bad memory, we all paid good money for premium RAM from a good supplier, will it damage our motherboards (probably not but who knows, if anyone you should). Hopefully not but we don't know, maybe you don't but tell us something.

It would be much appreciated and help, after all it was an employee from Corsair that posted the comments about RMAing the RAM!

Don't like to be grumpy but really this is not difficult to help with and provide timely updates. Even we are working on it and will get back to you every few days!

I totally understand where you are coming from, and I apologize for not providing you guys any updates on a more consistent basis. That's on me. But just to be clear on a few things on this subject, you guys DO NOT have a bad RAM and will NOT damage your system in any shape or form. I just want to make sure that we get those conjectures are out of the way.

Our DRAM product manager is well aware of this discussion. I just spoke to him about this issue earlier today and he said that he'll try to get an an official response on how to address this issue. I'm pretty confident that we'll get an answer sometime today.

Great, thank you for your clear feedback :)

Also good clear up that it won't cause issues with our equipment (just the fact RMAing it was mentioned rang alarm bells!. I would not expect that unless there were fundamental issues with the hardware that firmware on the motherboard would not fix).

Anyway thanks and look forward to your update.

n0v

Edited by n0v

• Corsair Employee
Thank you guys for your patience! I know the ball is on our court and clearly, you guys deserve an answer.. I'm a customer too, so I know how it feels being left in the dark. Anyway, with regards to our update, our DRAM PM will send me the response first thing in the morning. It was pretty hard to catch him today due to his meetings.

Interesting, though unfortunate for all of us it puts me at ease knowing there are others with the same issue.

I'm running the same (z170) chipset but on the 'asus sabertooth z170 mark 1' board (bios version 1302, latest version to date).

I run a 2x4GB 3600mhz corsair vengeance kit (CMK8GX4M2B3600C18) and also have had the experience that enabling XMP caused severe system instability and random boot issues (with a 'overclock failed' notice). Though it would sometimes boot, running a Prime95 stresstest quickly revealed issues with the RAM (within 5 minutes all 4 threads ended with errors).

My lot numbers are: 153700532371998 and 153700532371999 and the rest of my hardware setup is in my profile.

I've tried running a few different (non-xmp manual) configurations at both 3000 and 3200mhz both of which ended in similar stability issues. Stock configuration (on 2133mhz) seems to work without any issues (passing 6 hours of prime95 stressing), but seeing as I got this ram explicitly to run it on maximum performance I hope I can use it in such manner rather sooner than later.

I hope to see an official update on the situation soon, it would be nice to know what my next step should be.

Edited by platonicshroom

• Corsair Employee

Just a heads up guys.. before we drop any updates on this, we've decided to ask our partners first and get some kind of clarification with regards to this issue before making an official statement. We just want to make sure that we're all on the same page to avoid confusion.

As for RMAing those kits, scratch that. We do not believe that replacing those kits will solve this issue.

Just a heads up guys.. before we drop any updates on this, we've decided to ask our partners first and get some kind of clarification with regards to this issue before making an official statement. We just want to make sure that we're all on the same page to avoid confusion.

As for RMAing those kits, scratch that. We do not believe that replacing those kits will solve this issue.

Thanks for chasing this man... Been looking forward to hearing an answer for awhile now :D

looking forward to an official statement about these issues and whats causing it, then maybe as other have said we can then work out what to do as a next step to resolve the issues, i'm thinking its more than a simple bios update or whatever and something far more complex to fix.

I've also posted the case to Asus, since the specific kit I have is not QVL (qualified vendor list) they will not offer any support and suggest that my I5-6600K processor will also not operate with the ram as it only guarantees compatibility with DDR4 1866mhz-2133mhz ram.

Think it might be worth switching to a QVL kit?

(makes me wonder if my processor would actually be able to handle it)

Yeah I spoke to ASUS also about the issues and got a standard its not on the QVL reply, I don't think you can even get hold of the 3200 DDR4 memory they had listed on the QVL list anymore, so i got the newer revision thinking it would be OK but nooooo clearly not.

never in my life of building machines since the days of 386 and 486 processors have i had so much hassle with memory, normally a few manual bios adjustments and everything is rock solid! should have stayed with my i7 3770K platform and saved myself the hassle!

Hello, how are you?

I am having the same issue but with the itx version of the z170 pro gaming.

I've extensively described my issue here:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=154206

But what I am finding really weird is that with both sticks, at anything higher than 2133, I don't get the oc failed press f1 screen, but I get no post. Nothing. Just a black screen, and no power to keyboard or mouse.

I have to physically remove the stick from slot 2 and then power on the system to have it post to the oc failed screen.

Anyone else has this same situation?

Thank you.

Cheers

Kinda the same as me, boots fine from 2133 upto 2800 but if i try and enable the XMP profile at 3200 it goes dead, black screen after the reboot and monitor eventually goes to sleep but if i power it off and then back on i will get the overclock failed message, i dont need to remove the memory to get it booting again but it might take 1 or 2 power offs before it works out that the overclock failed and boots.

Kinda the same as me, boots fine from 2133 upto 2800 but if i try and enable the XMP profile at 3200 it goes dead, black screen after the reboot and monitor eventually goes to sleep but if i power it off and then back on i will get the overclock failed message, i dont need to remove the memory to get it booting again but it might take 1 or 2 power offs before it works out that the overclock failed and boots.

Mine never goes to oc failed.

I have to physically remove the dimm to recover the machine back to life...

Cheers