Corsair Community

Corsair HS70 Wireless - Static in left ear only

When I have the headset connected but no sounds playing i hear a slight static in the left ear only. If i play a video and pause it the static is quieter then a second or two later it gets louder and stays that way till i play the sounds/video again. I've tried different ports on the computer for the receiver. I've tried different computers all together. But its really bugging me and im not sure what to do.

Yea i force updated it a few times and its still there. Funny enough DURING the update process the static goes away but after the update finishes it comes back. and the static is not there till a second or so AFTER the bootup sound like its perfectly quiet then the bootup sound then a second or two later the static comes back, seems like it could just be a firmware bug or something. Also another thing to note, The volume knob, does not affect the static at all. i could have the volume slider all the way down and hear the static just as clearly even if i had it max volume

Also, When I play a youtube video for example i cant notice the static. and if i pause the video after like 3 seconds or so the static in the left ear comes back. So it almost seems to be connected to it being in standby/receiving no audio. So it may just be a firmware issue and not a hardware issue (i hope)

Edited by Jaron780
added more detail

• Corsair Employee
Interesting, it sounds like a connection issue in this case, since audio volume factoring in. Almost like there's heavy interference that the headset isn't able to cope with. Can you see if you have any wireless devices near the wireless dongle? Maybe try re-positioning the wireless dongle to a different position to see if that helps.

I don't think its Connection related, I've tried different usb ports, Shielded ones, 10 ft long usb cable extensions, tried it in a laptop, all have the same result. and ive tried almost directly next to the headset, so i dont think its connection related. But heres the main thing. When i play a video and audio comes through its absolutely perfect. and if i lower the volume from 100 all the way down to 1 to the point where i cant even hear it THere is no static (the static should be loud enough that i can hear it at that volume but i dont) and i stop the video after 2-3 seconds of perfect clear silence the static comes back. So i think its something with the firmware and the headset being in some sort of standby or something that causes it. TL:DR the static is ONLY active when there is NO audio being sent from the computer.

I don't think its Connection related, I've tried different usb ports, Shielded ones, 10 ft long usb cable extensions, tried it in a laptop, all have the same result. and ive tried almost directly next to the headset, so i dont think its connection related. But heres the main thing. When i play a video and audio comes through its absolutely perfect. and if i lower the volume from 100 all the way down to 1 to the point where i cant even hear it THere is no static (the static should be loud enough that i can hear it at that volume but i dont) and i stop the video after 2-3 seconds of perfect clear silence the static comes back. So i think its something with the firmware and the headset being in some sort of standby or something that causes it. TL:DR the static is ONLY active when there is NO audio being sent from the computer.

I have the same problem, also when I plug it into the PS4 the static sound on the left side still the same

Edited by Kadudiniz

I have the same problem, also when I plug it into the PS4 the static sound on the left side still the same

I sorta found a temp solution until there is a firmware patch for it or something. I found that opening a tab in the background of one of those (10 hour music videos) or whatever and muting the video but leave it playing. Somehow that makes the static go away. So a muted video that's playing on youtube in chrome somehow is making the static go away So i just leave one of those open all day (i don't have any internet bandwidth limits so i'm fine for that)

No I haven't, I don't think its a fault with the hardware though. it seems almost like a firmware or software thing that can be fixed that way instead of wasting support time with an issue that might not even be a hardware issue. And the fact that playing a muted video on youtube fixing the static is even more proof to me that its a firmware or software thing

I have the same problem only with mine the static does not go away even with a youtube video or some other audio source playing. I've tried all the previously mentioned stuff as well, still static, all the time, very disappointing.

• 3 weeks later...
I've had the same Issue with the hs70. when i turn on the headset there is no white noise on the left ear. when i PAIR the headset the noise starts on the left ear cup. I tried to turn off all the wifi devices or anything using 2.4 frequency and still the same. I've tried it on different computers and the noise is still there. when playing audio the noise is not noticeable but after a while you start to feel small pain in the left ear. After troubleshooting my pc, tried all the sounds settings but no fix yet. I thought maybe this is a problem with the pair I bought so I went the next day to replace it. got a new pair and guess what, the problem did not get fixed and the noise is still there. I think the problem is with the USB dongle because if you turn on the headset while the usb is not connected to the pc, you dont hear a noise but as soon as you connect it, the noise starts

Hello,

Just backing up Jaron780's statement. I also own a pair of HS70 and his description of the issue is very accurate. I tried with iCUE and without, same result.

To remind any Corsair employees reading this : Static noise in left ear only when headset on standby and paired, not receiving any sound. Playing a sound (even at lowest possible volume) will stop the static. Simple test : pair your hs70, click on windows volume bar (it makes a "ting" sound to indicate volume level), wait 1-3 sec. Static is low but once you hear it cannot be unheard.

Edited by xtrimcs

Same prob here. Buzzing noise only in the left ear. I had opend a Post on the German Forums but they are most likely dead.

I tested my HS even on a Laptop in a Park there was nothing but my dogs next to me nothing to interfere but still the noise is there. Ive contacted Amazon for a exchange to "test" another one and hope that it will be better if not im very sad cause its sounds great

Well i have the same issue, consistant static when no sound is being played, sound quality is very very poor, no bass in the headset at all, as as mine was purchased from Ebay, i think the person who sold it to me has pulled off the bloody serial number sticker which has left the warranty null and VOID.

Personally a shame as i was watching videos and people were raving about this headset, i get one and the sound just for me has no punch in the bass when listening to music

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same issue. Only left ear. But playing audio does not fix it.

If i walk out of wireless range, the static stops.

I updated firmware, no change.

It's driving me crazy Σ(・口・)

Is there ANYONE with this headset who doesn't have the issue? How do reviewers not mention it? It immediately sounded faulty

Edited by farzher

• 1 month later...

Same problem here.

It's such a shame this was not mentioned in any review whatsoever.

This is not that we have a faulty unit, this is every unit has the static left noise. It's a production problem.

Still the sound is great overall but this really needs to be addressed, it's quite annoying. I wonder who in Corsair tested this headset, probably they were having a bad day.

I think after force updating the firmware it got somewhat better though. But needs to be fully solved.

• 2 weeks later...

22.12.2018 SOLVED: I swapped them for a replace, didnt fix the problem. Went back to the store, gave em back and too Razer's Nari's instead. I have no static at all now, even when volume is turned to max. This kind of **** is just infuriating and unacceptable. There is a clear problem with the headset with the static voice on the left cup (and the battery issue). Not one review mentions it nor have corsair aknowledged this problem. I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU RETURN YOUR HS70 AND TAKE ANOTHER MANUFACTURER. Peace out.

Just made account to say that i also have this issue. Buzzing/static from left ear. Yesterday didnt notice it while listening to music and gaming, so the ''playback youtube 10 hour video thing'' did work, but today it didnt work. Now i hear buzzing sound regardless of if i have audio playing in the background or not. I also have latest firmware etc. Bought these 2 days ago, maybe i should return and swap, though i am a little skeptic that the hardware is faulty because you cant find basically any complaints in reviews or google search so also thinking its a firmware issue. Also, when i have the headphones on and no audio playing the buzzing occasionally, maybe once in a few minutes, stops for like 3 seconds and then continues. So that also makes me think that its a firmware issue rather than hardware.

Might try on different setups to see if its my pc causing the static. Did test my previous ones(logitech g931) on different setups and it didnt help

Very annoying stuff, my last wireless cups (logitech g931) had also static issues and you might expect your next ones which are a lot newer to not have but hey what do you say..

Edit. Further testing done. Noticed that when i plug in the usb dongle that is used to charge the headphones, the static noise in left ear goes way up and when i unplug it, it goes way down. Soo this might suggest that it is actually my computer somehow making the interference.

Edit 2. 4.12.2018. So i went to the shop and took a replacement. Can confirm that the same issue persists with the new ones i got. Did some testing too: I plugged in my new ones and let them fully charge. I then tested them without installing ICU. There was noticeable static buzzing on the left side. I then installed ICU (BUT did not install latest firmware) and the sound persisted but when i restarted computer after installation the static on the left did go down a lot. I still notice it though if i swap my headphones so that right cup is on left ear and left on right ear. Ive decided not to install the latest firmware yet. Other really interesting thing that i noticed was that when i go to the ICU mic volume tuning or windows mic volume tuning and start turning the volume of the mic down, around 40-50percent and all the way to zero volume of maximum the buzzing on the left ear goes really loud. WHen i tune the mic volume back to over about 40-50 percent, the buzzing suddenly goes down a lot. Disabling the mic in the windows ''recording'' doesnt affect the buzzing static. Only tuning the mic volume down makes it go loud.

Also for the people thinking why no one mentioned this thing in their reviews im myself astounded by that too. Since so many of us have reported this in this thread and as it is propable we all have so different pc's it shouldnt be a pc hardware issue.. Im thinking maybe they have changed their production parts or maybe these headphones are made in a few different places, and they use different manufacturers for some parts.. i dont know just speculating here.

I really hope it is a firmware issue and this is addressed. I really like the sound of these headphones but i can hear the buzzing in the left all the time and i tell you it is making me nuts.. I try not to hear it but it is impossible it just sticks over. I wouldnt mind the buzzing but it just makes me kinda''dizzy'' and annoyed. Gonna try if i ''get used to it'' for a few weeks and if not then i guess i have no choice but to return these and change to a different manufacturer..

Edited by loolmachine

• 1 month later...
So this happened to me as well, but the noise was in right ear always. I hear it, my gf hear it. I went back to the store, they sent it to service center. Surprisingly, service center said that there was nothing wrong with headset. So I can't get my money back. This is really nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I have the headset connected but no sounds playing i hear a slight static in the left ear only. If i play a video or gameand pause it the static is quieter then a second or two later it gets louder and stays that way till i play the sounds/video again. I've tried different ports on the computer for the receiver. I've tried different computers all together. But its really bugging me and im not sure what to do.

I just bought on Amazon.com. I tried reinstalling firmware for headset.

When I plugged in the charger the sound comes more from the right side.

Headset's volume level does not affect static noise. Please help me...

Made an account to let you guys know.

If you go into CUE and turn off light effects on the headset it stops the noise.

Hope this helps

I think There is no light effect on my hs70 se and i tried to off autoshutoff. No differences... I will send to amazon for return on monday...