Corsair Community

K55 - Issues with LEDs + Windows bugs

Hi!

I suspect the latest firmware update for K55 RGB Keyboard (v. 30.06) to be responsible of various bugs.

The LED indicators for Caps / Num Lock and such often freeze. This can happen if I turn on my 360 gamepad, of if I plug/unplug the keyboard.

What makes this even more troublesome is the fact that when this bug occurs, any 3D program than I lunch takes a very long time to load (the windows just freeze for a minute or even more). Unplugging the keyboard cancels the freeze.

I think there's something going on with CUE drivers or firmware drivers for the keyboard. I woud like to know if there is a way to dissociate the keyboard from CUE (like before it's been implemented), or to rollback the firmware to prior versions.

Windows is up-to-date, as well as motherboard drivers.

So is CUE and the firmware of the keyboard, btw.

Thank you in advance for your help. ;):

Hi.

Here I have very similar issues (probably the same).

When K55 is connected, Steam "freezes" any time a controller is connected or disconnected. I disistallad CUE but nothing changed :(:. Only Disconnecting K55 makes everyhing ok again. There is no doubt that this freezing has to do with K55.

Note that "freezing" is not the right term in my case: steam/games enter a freezed state for a minute or two, then steam/games goes on , but controllers are often not detected.

I also experienced randomly undetected K55 keyborad within CUE (before uninstalling it).

How can a Gaming Keybord be incompatible with controllers/ Steam?

Please do something!!!

PS: all sw and BIOS are updated...

• Corsair Employee
We are currently working with developers from Valve to resolve this issue. At this time, it is not confirmed if it is a compatibility issue caused by either one or both platforms. Once a resolution is in place, we will let you know how to proceed.

We are currently working with developers from Valve to resolve this issue. At this time, it is not confirmed if it is a compatibility issue caused by either one or both platforms. Once a resolution is in place, we will let you know how to proceed.

Hi, today I posted some data within a Doc and some observation to the support [Ticket Id : 627957]. It may be an USB driver problem (don't know if "Corsair Bus" system driver or the HID "Corsair" one). It seems something weird happens when refreshin USB chain events (and Steam is launched too).

Updated 12 Oct: As suggested from the support I uninstalled CUE, used CCLeaner to remove possible residual registry garbage, and restarted: hopefully drivers are not in the game anymore now. Behaviour changed pehaps for some time but Steam /Games now freeze anyway on removing and reinserting a controller. Perhaps a firmware 30.06 problem with USB managment is there afterall. I'm starting to be very unhappy: please let me know if you have any advance in discovering what it's really happening, even if a fix is still not available! If after about 10 days Valve and Corsair still doesn't have any advancement...my hope starts to fade away.

Edited by rvanzo1971
Update

Does the issue occur without CUE running or uninstalled?

Hi, I have the caps and num lock issue too. Latest FM and CuE version, windows and drivers up to date. It happens with both CuE installed and uninstalled.

It seamed totally random at first and it may be in some cases, but I was actually able to reproduce it just now, multiple times by repeatedly connecting and disconnecting my usb devices using my usb hubs on/off switches.

My usb hub is a 'Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LED

I did this by pressing num lock on and off repeatedly and also pressing the usb hubs switches on and off repeatedly. I've now reproduced the issue multiple times in both my motherboards usb 3.0 and 2.0 ports. Disconnecting the K55 and then reconnecting gets the num and caps lock lights operational again.

Edit: The K55 is not connected to my usb hub, it is connected directly to my motherboards usb 3.0 port.

Just thought I'd add what I've found to the discussion. Hope it helps find a solution!

Edited by illuminoacey
Forgot an important detail

Hi, today I posted some data within a Doc and some observation to the support [Ticket Id : 627957]. It may be an USB driver problem (don't know if "Corsair Bus" system driver or the HID "Corsair" one). It seems something weird happens when refreshin USB chain events (and Steam is launched too).

Updated 12 Oct: As suggested from the support I uninstalled CUE, used CCLeaner to remove possible residual registry garbage, and restarted: hopefully drivers are not in the game anymore now. Behaviour changed pehaps for some time but Steam /Games now freeze anyway on removing and reinserting a controller. Perhaps a firmware 30.06 problem with USB managment is there afterall. I'm starting to be very unhappy: please let me know if you have any advance in discovering what it's really happening, even if a fix is still not available! If after about 10 days Valve and Corsair still doesn't have any advancement...my hope starts to fade away.

Now I discovered that having K55 RGB connected I cannot even see external USB Flash Disk in the UEFI BIOS: in case of emergency (as happened due to the many forced reboots done by my children beacuse of the Steam freezes) I have to use another keyboard to access WIN 10 repair USB... i'm writing with my old defective keyboard now...

• 3 weeks later...

So now CORSAIR would u mind ACTING A BIT ???

Since I bought my K55 keyboard to now still issues on K55 (2nd issue I encountered).

On my home PC as well issues ramdom with my sabre...

Maybe time is gone to solid test ur (heavily paid) hardware before release no ???

This post is now 1 month long and still NO RESPONSE...

Wake Up CORSAIR for God sake... We've paid for that...

I dont use my k55 atm anymore unless my mechanical keyboard breaks randomly again, but if had this issue also during its time i used it, it did't seem to bother me as much though, having a chattering D key while playing destiny 2 where the vehicle dodges to the right whenever pressing D key once is far more annoying, i do wonder what is causing led to freeze usually happened for me when i was playing division.

Hi.

Here I have very similar issues (probably the same).

When K55 is connected, Steam "freezes" any time a controller is connected or disconnected. I disistallad CUE but nothing changed :(:. Only Disconnecting K55 makes everyhing ok again. There is no doubt that this freezing has to do with K55.

Note that "freezing" is not the right term in my case: steam/games enter a freezed state for a minute or two, then steam/games goes on , but controllers are often not detected.

I also experienced randomly undetected K55 keyborad within CUE (before uninstalling it).

How can a Gaming Keybord be incompatible with controllers/ Steam?

Please do something!!!

PS: all sw and BIOS are updated...

I also have the same issue als this with Uplay en steam,

My Leds dont go on any more and the games keep hanging when staring up,

Its 100% A K55 issue

Please fix this problem , i will send my K55 Back to my seller for a full refund. !!

This problem is With CUE and without CUE installed !!!

• Corsair Employee

We understand your frustration with the issue not being resolved, however, testing is still being conducted by both Valve and Corsair to determine the appropriate course of action. Valve is in the process of moving offices which may have reduced their resources. All additional information you can provide will help both parties in having this resolved.

For reference, are any of you using USB hubs or a Steam Link? If so, which brand and model USB hub?

Edited by Corsair Nick

We understand your frustration with the issue not being resolved, however, testing is still being conducted by both Valve and Corsair to determine the appropriate course of action. Valve is in the process of moving offices which may have reduced their resources. All additional information you can provide will help both parties in having this resolved.

For reference, are any of you using USB hubs or a Steam Link? If so, which brand and model USB hub?

I myself am not using a USB hub, or a Steam Link. I have the keyboard plugged directly into an open USB 2.0 port on my motherboard. But the freezing of Steam and *insert game here* when a controller is connected/disconnected is not my only problem with the K55. I have also experienced Windows saying (and I quote) "The last USB device connected to the computer has malfunctioned." In which, the last connected USB device is always the K55 since I replug it multiple times after turning on my computer to get CUE to recognize it and apply my color scheme, to not have to deal with rainbow colors.

But whats worse, and forces me to have to reboot the PC via the power button on my chassis, is that the firmware glitches and causes one key to spam entries, rendering every application and UI completely unusable. The keys that are responsible for this are all found to be bound as thumb keys on my Scimitar Pro (which doesn't malfunction or glitch, K55 is the problem). When this key spam starts, pressing the thumb key on my mouse (bound to the spamming key) causes CUE to crash with a Windows critical error dialog box. I use a 3rd party start menu mod, which allows me to use the Win 7 start menu in Win 10, which glitches out when there are an infinite, unending key presses from the keyboard. I can still click the button that normally pulls up the real Win 10 start menu, but that menu doesn't actually pull up. Trying to use any text box (for example, Run, to try and get CUE to start) just fills the text box with the key thats spamming (fairly obviously). Trying to navigate ProgramFiles folder is futile, since Explorer locks up with continuous key presses. I can't use device manager, since I can't use Run. I can get to computer management, but the key spamming renders it unusable as well. Unplugging the keyboard does nothing, and plugging in a different keyboard and pressing the spam key doesn't solve the problem either. On the previous version of the firmware, this would still happen, but you could normally stop the key spam by spamming the key thats spamming.

This needs to be addressed ASAP, as it happens at least once every 48 hours of computer usage, which would equal out to around every 3-5 days. Not good, at all.

• 3 weeks later...

In the doubt of a defective keyboard I also leveraged rma (spending 20€ for sending my kb to Corsair). I got my new keyboard after some days. The problem is: nothing changed! Now I have my "new" Corsair keybord stored away waiting for some solution on this: it's totally un-usable for what it should be used to!

Very frustrating indeed!

Pleasy notify us on some advancement. The timing waiting of such an open issue is astonishing. Did you at least suceeded to reproduce the problem? Did you have any sort of advancement?

Thanks.

I recieved a email from Corsair, telling me , the are not going to te be alble to fix this on the short run.

the have know idear how long it will take to fix this issue.

Corsair you will be recieveing a bill from me for sending this back to seller if you do not pay a lawywer will be my next step.

• 2 weeks later...
Perhaps it's time for we the consumers to ask the Consumer Affairs department of the CA A.G. office to intervene on our behalf. It seems apparent that there is some defect in the K55 series of keyboards that causes it to malfunction when used with gaming clients ie Steam. Yet Corsair continues to sell these on the market and yet has no timeline for if or when a fix will be issued. Keyboards should not have to be plugged and re-plugged each time a game client or game controller or other usb peripheral is plugged into an open usb port. I have a K55 that I purchased with my new PC that I cannot use. Had I known this issue existed I would have purchased another brand. Even though I have Corsair gaming mouse that hasn't had an issue. This for me has tarnished Corsair's name and I will not buy or recommend Corsair products for the foreseeable future.

Perhaps it's time for we the consumers to ask the Consumer Affairs department of the CA A.G. office to intervene on our behalf. It seems apparent that there is some defect in the K55 series of keyboards that causes it to malfunction when used with gaming clients ie Steam. Yet Corsair continues to sell these on the market and yet has no timeline for if or when a fix will be issued. Keyboards should not have to be plugged and re-plugged each time a game client or game controller or other usb peripheral is plugged into an open usb port. I have a K55 that I purchased with my new PC that I cannot use. Had I known this issue existed I would have purchased another brand. Even though I have Corsair gaming mouse that hasn't had an issue. This for me has tarnished Corsair's name and I will not buy or recommend Corsair products for the foreseeable future.

i am all for this idear!!

Let them bleed, For the bad hardware and service ! ( Anti Service )

Edited by MDCMIKE

I simply got exhausted with LED, commander issues- fans going up and down all the time and last night the mouse pad pass through USB quit and can't do anything with rgb in CUE, link shuts down about every day. Replaced the HT100i v2 - to unsteady. The 110 is 12v constant speed. fans all plugged into mobo now, = steady and quiet, ram, fan rgb' s all off. So much better, can't sync them anyway... if the next firmware doesn't sort some of this, then I am uninstalling all corsair stuff. My next build build will be back to basics.

I simply got exhausted with LED, commander issues- fans going up and down all the time and last night the mouse pad pass through USB quit and can't do anything with rgb in CUE, link shuts down about every day. Replaced the HT100i v2 - to unsteady. The 110 is 12v constant speed. fans all plugged into mobo now, = steady and quiet, ram, fan rgb' s all off. So much better, can't sync them anyway... if the next firmware doesn't sort some of this, then I am uninstalling all corsair stuff. My next build build will be back to basics.

Send back to seller, With the messge its defect and want a refund

With mail contacts in hand or as a copy for them.

Edited by MDCMIKE

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all for me it seems now to be ok, no deco anymore, macro are ok leds too even caps lock working !!!

I still have steem running in the backgroud, eveything fine...

Maybe the recent 2.21.67 Version CUE2 has solved the troubles (havnt read patch notes).

Happy new year all.

• 2 weeks later...