Corsair Community

Launch Application - Focus Bug

Willis

This has been happening and driving me crazy since I first started using the CUE software last December.

OS: Windows 10 x64 (but on multiple machines, edit: including clean installs with only CUE software installed)

CUE Version: All up to and including 2.15.83

Problem description: When the CUE software is not recently activated but running, if you press a key that triggers a "Launch Application" action (any of the pre-populated list or custom executable paths), the application will open, but it will not be focused. To further the problem, simply selecting the newly launched application from the taskbar or clicking on it's title bar does *NOT* grant keyboard focus to the application. You must mouse click within the application window in order to get keyboard focus.

Reproduction: This is where it gets difficult, as it does not happen all of the time, but for me, it does seem to happen more than 90% of the time. There is no guaranteed reproduction method, but the following seems to trigger it.

1) Open the CUE window

2) Open any other application not using CUE software (I typically launch a web browser). Mouse-click in this application to ensure it has focus.

3) Press a key that CUE is set to launch an application (I typically use calculator built-in)

Step 3 launches an application that is out of focus and requires unusual extra steps (clicking within the application even after clicking it to focus on the tasktbar) to gain full keyboard focus.

If the CUE software is in focus, the newly launched application always launches with correct focus. If the desktop is focused, it is hit or miss which will get focus. If another application has focus, I'd say about 75-90% of the time the newly launched application does not gain proper focus.

Additional information: Any time I get this issue, if I simply open the CUE software and close it, my chances of getting correct focus increase, but are still not consistent.

Any help would be appreciated, but I'm assuming this will need a CUE patch in some regard.

Edited by Willis

• 1 month later...

EDIT: I thought I've solved it, but bug returned after ~24 hours. It might be a clue though, because it worked for unusually long time.

This random focus losing behavior happend to me when I was trying to run Windows Calculator, and the problem appeared to be linking the wrong version.

In x64 Win systems there are two calc.exe apps - 32bit version in c:/windows/system32 and x64 in c:/windows/sysWOW64. Linking to 64bit version for key assigned action (and profile switch in my case) solved the issue.

Edited by MQs

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that I'm also experiencing this bug on Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit. Just picked up a K70 Lux, downloaded the latest CUE, mapped this to calculator, and it generally opens up behind other windows, not in focus.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Corsair Employee
I'll see if we can reproduce this. Thanks for reporting it.

Bump - Still an issue in 2.24.35. Corsairs ignoring of bugs is really starting to become a problem to me.

I've tried this on a number of versions of CUE and it's worked fine with multiple applications. I'll ask James if it was addressed in a specific version and/or if he was able to reproduce it on his end when he first responded.

Edit:

Managed to reproduce it with notepad, but only if I execute the launch app macro with desktop in focus and no other windows onscreen. I'll reach out to James as mentioned before.

Edited by Corsair CJ
Managed to reproduce.

• 2 months later...
I have the same issue as OP on 2.24.50, macro button launching calculator. usually it doesn't work same as OP (application is not focused, after clicked in the taskbar to focus it requires clicking on application window to get full keyboard focus). sometimes it'll work properly, and like OP it seems like if I open up CUE and then close it, it'll work more reliably for a while but then go back to not working.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

I had the same problem. To resolve I changed the Windows registry value of:

FOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT

located at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\CONTROL PANEL\DESKTOP

from

30D40 (Hexadecimal) or 200000 (Decimal)

to

Rebooted my machine and the macro buttons now open applications in focus in the foreground.

Further details of this problem at the below thread:

https://windowsforum.com/threads/new-windows-open-behind-existing-windows.91026/

Thank you and I hope this helps someone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I can confirm that the problem still persists (ver 3.19.120).

I'm using the latest win10, i have the same problem on 3 different pc.

This happens ONLY with iCUE to me: no issues with Logitech (Gaming software), Razer (Synapse) or Microsoft (intellitype) software.

I resolved using simple bat files that launches the applications i need, then mapped the GKeys to open those .bat files.

For example for notepad++, create a simple bat file with this text:

@ECHO Off

start "" "C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe"

exit

Then run this bat from iCUE. To me it works everytime.