View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Doer of Things and Stuff
Charixfox's PC Specs

POST ID # = 901817
Charixfox Reputation: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Yeah, no joke there. I think Asetek do it on purpose. This prevented me from splicing together a new GPU cooler from multiple Asetek parts. I managed to get 6 screws out cleanly, but that was 18 short of the target. Plan fail.

Are you sure the specs are metallic? That would be interesting. I had theorized many of these were gummy, silicon-like deposits of adhesive combined with anti-corrosive salts. Neither one is particularly helpful.
The things I do for Science...

Just confirmed that there is a electrical potential between the new block and the rad when disconnected from everything, which pretty solidly shows the possibility for corrosion. The way metal works, if it's "possible", it -will happen-, only the rate is in question.

Anyway, on the copper block image, the white specs are likely on the magnifying glass. Then you can see the rubberized stickdown section for the sheath. It makes both the gear-like pattern on the outside as well as the dark black bar across the center of the fins. The corrosion on the block is evident in the brown both on the fins as well as in the well around the fins. In a properly-running system, the block should be pretty, bright, shiny copper. Not this brown {censored}.

Inside the remaining not-opened radiator, even just in the barb fittings, there is substantial oxide, making the entirety of the inside of the barb white, including several nodules of growth.

Any anti-corrosive salts would need to be in solution, so any that have formed visible crystals are Very Bad. It could be a result of super-saturation due to evaporation of coolant, I admit, however that would not explain the pictured corrosion of the block.