Corsair Community

Carbide Spec-06 RGB front panel issue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi every one, I have bought a new Carbide Spec-06 RGB few days ago, I discover that when you press the area around the restart button, it can restart the pc too, I have replace with another one, they are the same, do any one have the same experience? :confused:

Yes, I have had the same issue. I noticed it when I touched a USB drive or removed it the PC would reset.

The reset is a cap touch I think, so it is not shielded properly or something is amiss with the case grounding.

I don't know for sure, but sometimes when I touch the very top it resets!!

So I don't know.

May have to return it.

Update: not a cap touch switch, just a 'stuck' reset button. See more details in later posts

Edited by edsyl
updated info

Yes, I have had the same issue. I noticed it when I touched a USB drive or removed it the PC would reset.

The reset is a cap touch I think, so it is not shielded properly or something is amiss with the case grounding.

I don't know for sure, but sometimes when I touch the very top it resets!!

So I don't know.

May have to return it.

Quite a pain to discover this AFTER finishing my build. I was installing win10, everything was fine, rebooted to win 10, removed(after ejecting in the OS) the USB install flash drive and the computer resets. Remove the wifi USB and it resets. ANY USB plugged into the top will reset upon removal, touch the top it resets. Note that these are the USB connectors on the front near the power button. The ones on the i/o shield are OK and don't have the same issue. What a disappointment.

Just an update. By chance, I was reading this month's Maximum PC and the case was reviewed by them.

Near the end of the article they noted trim issues(bad QA if you want my opinion) and one of them was that the reset switch was 'stuck' and did not give the usual click.

So that makes sense. If the contacts were very close due to this it could explain the intermittent issues I am having.

Looking at the case I see NO way to get at it without damage to fix it, so what do I do now?

Rant on: Why do case manufacturers make replacing/fixing front panel switches and USB connectors SO difficult? Rant off.

Geez, all these issues and time wasted at the expense of a friggin reset switch improperly installed.

Hey guys and gals, need to clean this stuff up!!

Ed

Edited by edsyl

Just an update. By chance, I was reading this month's Maximum PC and the case was reviewed by them.

Near the end of the article they noted trim issues(bad QA if you want my opinion) and one of them was that the reset switch was 'stuck' and did not give the usual click.

So that makes sense. If the contacts were very close due to this it could explain the intermittent issues I am having.

Looking at the case I see NO way to get at it without damage to fix it, so what do I do now?

Rant on: Why do case manufacturers make replacing/fixing front panel switches and USB connectors SO difficult? Rant off.

Geez, all these issues and time wasted at the expense of a friggin reset switch improperly installed.

Hey guys and gals, need to clean this stuff up!!

Ed

Hey Edsyl,

Did you end up finding a fix for this by chance? I JUST ran into the issue myself yesterday. The restart button is stuck and whenever I unplug anything from my front mic or audio jack, the whole computer restarts. Pretty bad. But as you said, there doesn't seem to be a way to get into the port from the inside, because there's something blocking it.

Hey Edsyl,

Did you end up finding a fix for this by chance? I JUST ran into the issue myself yesterday. The restart button is stuck and whenever I unplug anything from my front mic or audio jack, the whole computer restarts. Pretty bad. But as you said, there doesn't seem to be a way to get into the port from the inside, because there's something blocking it.

HEY CORSAIR FOLKS....this is pretty bad to cripple a case due to a poorly designed/quality front panel!!!!!!

How do we get a fix WITHOUT tearing our build apart?

This is Ridiculous in the extreme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEY CORSAIR FOLKS....this is pretty bad to cripple a case due to a poorly designed/quality front panel!!!!!!

How do we get a fix WITHOUT tearing our build apart?

This is Ridiculous in the extreme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I may have figured it out with some help from my genius friend. We were able to press the reset button normally when you apply pressure upwards from the bottom of the front IO panel (the underside of the black plastic block that's holding all of the cabling basically). And we were also able to safely unplug stuff from the front while we were applying pressure to the underside like this.

To "fix" this, we removed the front panel of the case and put a metal bracket with some double sided mounting strip to attach it to the dust filter, so that when you attach the front panel it'll apply the upwards pressure needed.

Took us forever to figure it out and I'm amazed we were able to find a solution.

Yes,my reset button now is stuck, it make my machine even can’t start up, I am now unplugged it, I think it should be the best choice

Hey I think we may have found the issue/fix, if you were still interested in giving it a shot. We were able to press the reset button normally when you apply pressure upwards from the bottom of the front IO panel (the underside of the black plastic block that's holding all of the cabling basically). And we were also able to safely unplug stuff from the front while we were applying pressure to the underside like this.

To "fix" this, we removed the front panel of the case and put a metal bracket with some double sided mounting strip to attach it to the dust filter, so that when you attach the front panel it'll apply the upwards pressure needed.

Took us forever to figure it out and I'm amazed we were able to find a solution.

Hey I think we may have found the issue/fix, if you were still interested in giving it a shot. We were able to press the reset button normally when you apply pressure upwards from the bottom of the front IO panel (the underside of the black plastic block that's holding all of the cabling basically). And we were also able to safely unplug stuff from the front while we were applying pressure to the underside like this.

Took us forever to figure it out:laughing: and I'm amazed we were able to find a solution.

Thank you very much, I follow you introduction, but replace the metal bracket with a piece of plastic plate and place between the steel case and the plastic front io, then the io box will be push up a little bit like want you did, then it work like a charm:laughing:

So I think the plastic io cover is deformed.....

I'm glad you found a fix.

Seriously though, this is silly.

Why was this not tested thoroughly BEFORE SHIPPING or introducing the product?

A 2K$ build crippled by a 5 cent part. Really?

Everyone that has experienced this should get a fixed front panel for FREE from Corsair.

Frankly, I'm a bit miffed no one from the company has acknowledged the issue or responded.

Oh well, so much for transparency and customer service.

I've used many a Corsair product in the past, and this is a serious QA issue.

Thank you very much, I follow you introduction, but replace the metal bracket with a piece of plastic plate and place between the steel case and the plastic front io, then the io box will be push up a little bit like want you did, then it work like a charm:laughing:

So I think the plastic io cover is deformed.....

Yes.

QA issue.

We should get a panel replacement for FREE.

• Corsair Employees
Yes.

QA issue.

We should get a panel replacement for FREE.

Hey Guys.

I understand your frustration definitely. Currently I am trying to see if we can get a fix out. I already raised the issue.

As for replacement I/O you can definitely get them while under warranty. Just submit a ticket on our support page.

Thanks for checking in!

I think the most straightforward solution is to ship a known good front panel as I see no way of replacing the reset switch without breaking the plastic enclosure.

I did create a ticket stating the same.

Thanks again.

Regards

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
If you simply disconnect the reset button by unplugging it from the motherboard, does the issue go away? Can USB drives be plugged in and unplugged without issue? How about putting pressure around the IO? Any effect?

If you simply disconnect the reset button by unplugging it from the motherboard, does the issue go away? Can USB drives be plugged in and unplugged without issue? How about putting pressure around the IO? Any effect?

For me it helped to unplug the reset connector from the motherboard. The computer no long reboots when unplugging USB connectors from the front panel.

Still might want to check in with Corsair if it's possible to get a replacement front panel.

For me it helped to unplug the reset connector from the motherboard. The computer no long reboots when unplugging USB connectors from the front panel.

Still might want to check in with Corsair if it's possible to get a replacement front panel.

When you say it helped, do you mean all the reboot issues by pressing around the IO panel also do not cause reboots, etc. So problem totally solved, less the use of a reset button?

So, I spoke with tech support at Corsair and was informed that the engineers are looking into this, but for now, all they can do is send a few IO panel or plastic panel around it that houses it.

There are 3 screws that hold the trim panel (red or white) that is around the dust filter and houses the IO panel. They are easily removable even with a built system. two on the MB side and one on the back. You just need a long handle screwdriver to stay as straight as possible.

Remove them and the panel will slide up and out. Then the reset switch works perfectly. If you don't put in all three screws back in, the reset switch works. I wonder of a "sliver" of a washer under the screws will have enough difference to resolve the issue. Or if leaving the top two screws of will resolve the issue. The bottom screw should be able to keep it from sliding up, which is what really holds it in place, little "hooks" that are molded in the front panel trim.

I returned my case, but have repurchased it after further thought and I will try these options myself, but if anyone gets to it before I do, let us know.

Problem totally solved, but no reset button indeed.

Pressing around the IO panel does not cause a reboot with the connector unplugged from the motherboard. I haven't really dug into it, but by trial and error I can guess that the pressure on the IO panel (by removing USB cables, or pressing around it) causes the reset button to close the circuit with the reset pins on the motherboard, causing a reboot.

I have contacted Corsair as well, hoping they can send me a replacement IO panel. I don't really feel like disassembling my whole system for a reset switch... :/

Thanks for the description on how to replace it. If they happen to send a replacement, I can try to replace it myself.

Problem totally solved, but no reset button indeed.

Pressing around the IO panel does not cause a reboot with the connector unplugged from the motherboard. I haven't really dug into it, but by trial and error I can guess that the pressure on the IO panel (by removing USB cables, or pressing around it) causes the reset button to close the circuit with the reset pins on the motherboard, causing a reboot.

I have contacted Corsair as well, hoping they can send me a replacement IO panel. I don't really feel like disassembling my whole system for a reset switch... :/

Thanks for the description on how to replace it. If they happen to send a replacement, I can try to replace it myself.

Thanks for confirming. I don't think you need to disassemble your PC to replace the IO panel. I'll looking more into it when the new case arrives.

Also, holding the power button for 5 seconds shuts down the computer and you can always unplug it also, so I have never used any reset switch. So I guess to me, I won't miss it. I like the case design (I've built one before in this case), so even though this issue should be fixed and should not have happened, to me it's something I am willing to live with, since no case is ever perfect. Some have design issues, some have quality issues (thin paint, crappy sheet metal), some have heat issues, etc.

Edited by rbs

• Corsair Employees
Thanks for the feedback everyone. If you've come across this issue with your chassis, please unplug the effected switch from your motherboard for the time being. If you haven't contacted our customer support team, please do so and/or follow up on your ticket.