Corsair Community

DDR3 IC Inquiry

RAM GUY

I had read this post before, but I thought some one knows exactly what it is.

i know is elpida ic but i don´t know what kind it is.

there are some places selling this model very cheap and If I knew this memory are hyper i could buy some sticks.

thank you very much and sorry about my english.

There is NO WAY PERIOD AT ALL to try to guess what specific ICs are on any given module.

The ONLY way to know for sure is to remove the heat spreaders and look at the ICs. This has been stated many times in this thread and has not changed.

• 1 month later...

Which of the ICs listed above are considered the best for overclocking? I've head people say that the Micron D9s are the business, but that the Elpida Hypers are also good.

Also, why use so many different kinds? Does it come down to stock availability at IC suppliers? I mean, the price of a kit is determined by the product range / code, not by the kind of IC used, correct? I suppose the cheaper / weaker ICs are used more in entry level RAM sticks / kits.

Which of the ICs listed above are considered the best for overclocking? I've head people say that the Micron D9s are the business, but that the Elpida Hypers are also good.

Also, why use so many different kinds? Does it come down to stock availability at IC suppliers? I mean, the price of a kit is determined by the product range / code, not by the kind of IC used, correct? I suppose the cheaper / weaker ICs are used more in entry level RAM sticks / kits.

From what I hear it's determined by what's popular and/or in stock at any given time.

Nothing to do with popularity. Totally about what's available to build the sticks at the time. The price isn't based upon which manufacturer's IC they use. However, the IC market changes daily which in turn changes memory prices quite often.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know it's been said before that the only available information is in the first post, and there's no way to find out more other than to remove the heatsinks.

But I'm curious to know what the second decimal represents.

The first decimal I assume is the IC size, 1 for 256Mx8, 2 for 512Mx8 and only one decimal for 128Mx8. But what about the second decimal? There's got to be a reason for it and somebody surely knows it.

• 1 year later...

Hello, just wonder if i can get a little help here in identificating if this ddr3 module has Elpida chip inside.

CMG6GX3M3A1866C7

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7033/8a3n.jpg

Another number in the label above is 09420027.

Thanks a lot

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

After searching for a bit, I found out that my notebook chipset (HM55) doesn't support RAMs assembled with IC size: 512M x 8bits

Max. compatibility is: 256M x 8bits

[according to this thread: https://communities.intel.com/thread/32763 ]

I'm interested in doing 8GB (2 x 4GB) upgrade. The ONLY options available from Corsair in my city are:

CMSO4GX3M1A1600C11

CMSO4GX3M1B1600C11

CMSO4GX3M1C1600C11

Since there are no datasheets available, getting the version no. is the key to knowing the IC size... how do I figure out the version no. or where can I find it on the sticker while inspecting the retail package?

I tried searching google images for the version no., the closest result I got was: http://www.lelong.com.my/corsair-ram-notebook-ddr3-4gb-pc1600-cmso4gx3m1a1600c11-castleit-K1277031-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

But there's neither version no. on the sticker nor on the retail pack! Where can I find it?

A reply would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

More Info:

Notebook: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/K52JE/specifications/

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core P6000 Processor

Memory: DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM, 2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8G SDRAM

Edited by eof

Value Select modules don't have ICs. IIRC the ICs change all the time.

So there's no way to know the Component Composition (256Mx8bits / 512Mx8bits / etc) and the no. of Ranks before buying the Value Select module?

No such info from Corsair?

Edited by Technobeard

• Administrators
So there's no way to know the Component Composition (256Mx8bits / 512Mx8bits / etc) and the no. of Ranks before buying the Value Select module?

No such info from Corsair?

Correct. This information is not available for Value Select modules.

• 1 year later...
Corsair's site does not list versions because it's irrelevant.

Only if you think it is irrelevant whether the RAM will actually work.

Machines with Intel Q45 Express chipsets will work with 4GB DDR3 RAM sticks if they are 2Rx8 rank, but not if they are 1Rx8.

Samsung puts that information right on the labels, because it's important. So do many other manufacturers.

Corsair should, too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Are there any known conflicts for my CMY8GX3M2A2133C11R and the MSI 970 Gaming motherboard? Im not getting option for the 2133 speed in BIOS. Also, I need an official Corsair guide to manually adjusting settings for my CMY8GX3M2A2133C11R memory in BIOS/other. Thanx for help/reading. Edited by Skylab