View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 03:23 PM
Contiusa's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1001650
Contiusa Reputation: 10
Default 12 pin CPU power on a RM750. What to do?

Hi guys, my motherboard has a 12 pin CPU power connector (Z390 UD). I will overclock my i5-9600K to near 5Ghz (custom loop). But my PSU (RM750) has only an 8 pin connector.

Does Corsair offer any kind of extension (I saw some individual connectors for sale) or do I need a new PSU?

From what I saw, Corsair does not have any 650/750W PSU with 12 pin CPU connectors (which is strange, since nowadays 750W is almost overkill for a regular gaming rig). I won’t buy a 850W plus PSU because my consumption will never reach the point to spin the fan and the PSU heats up my case, as it does now with the RM750, that won’t get to the point of spinning the fan but gets fairly hot inside the case - never really understood the quiet fan feature if it means heat up the case.

So I rather be with a 750W PSU (I just have one GPU and it is unlikely for me to have a Titan or any sort of similar card).

I've seen posts about the EVGA units, but I rather stick with Corsair or Seasonic (I know that Corsair has several Seasonic units as OEM).

I appreciate any feedback.