Corsair Community

H115i Platinum: USB reconnect every now and then, lighting goes crazy

momorious

It does affect it as when the issue happens to me the fan/pump profile goes to default which appears to be full speed on everything. As for the static light setting I wish I could say that solves it 100% but it probably cut back on it happening by about 95%, still occurs from time to time

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys! Just an update on gingfreeac solution of going bios and change the fan header profile to voltage helps! I 2 whole day did not get any reset on the USB connect and the lighting profile is not stuck or broken. I'm refering to the pump header there a 3 pin cable that can connect to cpu pwm header.

Well time to stop monitoring this thread. Bloody corsair software team please look into this and prevent future product from having this kind of embrassing problem.

sorry could you elaborate on what the fix actually is? i'm on a z390 asus board. i searched "gingfreeac" by username and didn't get any returns.

Still really want to buy this cooler instead of the pro :( is there anyone who isn't having the issue? Seems weird to ask in a thread where people are having the issue but you never know.

Not really, you might get someone in here who hasn't participated that might have figured something out seeing as Corsair seems to be incapable of it. What should be a simple find, since this doesn't appear to have started until a few months ago is go back to a known time when it did and compare what changed, start there then work your way forward.

Or ask the community for info they might be able to provide that isn't an internal test system since they can only deal with so many configurations in house.

I will say this for you though, with the LEDs off works perfect and it does a great job in the cooling department. But my only question is how long does a company think they can keep the public in the dark before they start to piss off those who have loved them for a long time.

I am going to keep bringing up the logging issue for as long as it takes till they get the hint and decide to actually do something about it. Apologists be da**ed.

So I just bought the H115i Pro but wish I could have gotten the Platinum :( All other fans in my case are RGB so this would be the icing on the cake.

I'm thinking about returning it and getting the Platinum but wanted to confirm some things.

1. These disconnect issues don't affect the fans/pump right? Like their performance?

2. If I set all lights to static, it won't disconnect? I wouldn't mind setting them all to static until it's resolved.

I'm just worried that it won't ever get resolved or that they'll need to recall them.

Thoughts?

1. When the crash/disconnect happens, the pump and fans reset, so they may spin down for a second or two. When that happens often enough, the driver will crash and then the cooler will reset to "Quiet" operation, which means your CPU might overheat. So yes, it will affect operation.

2. If you set all lights on the pump to a single color, it will crash/disconnect less often, but crashes will still occur occasionally (but very rarely). Turning the lighting off completely might work better, not sure.

That said, if you remove iCue from startup and just use it whenever you wish to set up/change your settings (fan curves/speeds, Hardware RGB lighting etc.. which the cooler will "remember" when iCue isn't running) then close iCue it will work as well, as the crashes/disconnects only occur while iCue is actually running. You can check out the workaround in my signature to do this. The downside is that only Hardware Light settings will work this way, no link or other software effects that require iCue to be running and if you're using any other Corsair devices that depend on iCue actually running, it will be a problem.

Edited by Glzmo

According to this reddit post and another from the same user - "the issue should be fixed in 3.14 which should be released in a week or two."

Fingers crosses... I'm sick of this!

That is strange. I pushed for a more detailed answer from corsair. This is their response:

Hello,

I'm afraid I don't have an update for you and currently don't have any new information I can provide. We do have some temporary work-arounds that may help.

1. If you have steam starting up with your machine, temporary disable it from start-up.

2. Restart the "Corsair Service" by going to iCue > Settings > "Restart" of the iCue service.

3. Temporary set a static color to the color.

These three things may help the disconnect sound temporary. I do apologize that I cannot provide an update at this time, but I can reassure you that the team is actively working on a fix.

I really only believe it when I have 3.14 installed and really finally have no disconnects when using Arc...

Would be a nice gesture to give some kind of compensation to all Platinum owners as this now took nearly half a year..... Maybe free game code to the fully ICUE integrated Far Cry?!

So I looked at the driver .inf files that are included with iCue and I don't see any Platinum Coolers listed in there. Could this be part of the reason why Platinum Coolers are facing these problems, because there is no proper driver for them and they use a generic one instead that the OS mistakes as game controller (hence the crashes/disconnects when using Steam, the Windows Game Controllers control panel, etc.) or something similar?

Here are the driver entries that I've found in the included driver .inf files:

USB\VID_1B1C&PID_1C00.DeviceDesc="Corsair Link(TM) USB Dongle"
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_1C01.DeviceDesc="Corsair Link(TM) USB Dongle"
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_1C02.DeviceDesc="Corsair AX1500i PSU"
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_1C11.DeviceDesc="Corsair AX1600i PSU"
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C02.DeviceDesc="Corsair Hydro Series 7289 USB Device"
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C03.DeviceDesc="Corsair Hydro Series 7289 USB Device"
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C07.DeviceDesc="Corsair Hydro Series 7289 USB Device"
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C08.DeviceDesc="Corsair HydroSeries H80i v2"
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C09.DeviceDesc="Corsair HydroSeries H100i v2"
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C0A.DeviceDesc="Corsair HydroSeries H115i"
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C12.DeviceDesc="Corsair H150i Pro"
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C13.DeviceDesc="Corsair H115i Pro"
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C15.DeviceDesc="Corsair H100i Pro"
USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C16.DeviceDesc="Corsair H80i Pro"

As you can see, there is no mention of Platinum coolers found in there. Just a thought that might be worth looking into.

Edited by Glzmo

Not really. Steam has caused issues with other USB devices as well.

Sigh, it's too easy to push the blame elsewhere for some people isn't it? Steam is not the issue and you know it. This is directly traceable to the Corsair driver/ICue. I say this because I UNINSTALLED STEAM TO MAKE SURE. So yeah, let's all play the apologist and blame another company. Not saying it couldn't happen but in this case I can assure you that it isn't.

So I looked at the driver .inf files that are included with iCue and I don't see any Platinum Coolers listed in there. Could this be part of the reason why Platinum Coolers are facing these problems, because there is no proper driver for them and they use a generic one instead that the OS mistakes as game controller (hence the crashes/disconnects when using Steam, the Windows Game Controllers control panel, etc.) or something similar?

While I am more than happy to assign blame to them (Corsair) it could be using one of the other listings as the internals/controller could be identical to another one.

All that being said I have managed to stabilize this a bit finally due to getting pointed in a direction from Nick at support. While this may apply to others I am using an X470 chipset. Turns out that the USB driver being used is a default from 2005 in the driver store for Windows, there is a driver update for the ASMedia USB 3.1 Hub Driver that isn't listed on Gigabytes website for my board, The driver version you want to look for is 1.16.38.1.

Since installing that the system behaves itself more or less but I have had it occur a couple times in the last 36 hours or so, took it about 4 hours to happen the first time then straightened itself out for about half a day then happened again.

I do not agree with giving us something free necessarily but I do agree that if this continues after the supposed "fix" that is in the works, again, then they need to make this right for those that bought this expecting it to, oh I don't know work without having to deal with this stuff. If that involves recalling and replacing all the Platinum coolers out there then so be it, but if this isn't resolved soon I will start looking into other options available to me in getting this resolved.

Sigh, it's too easy to push the blame elsewhere for some people isn't it? Steam is not the issue and you know it. This is directly traceable to the Corsair driver/ICue. I say this because I UNINSTALLED STEAM TO MAKE SURE. So yeah, let's all play the apologist and blame another company. Not saying it couldn't happen but in this case I can assure you that it isn't.

It's absolutely not about pushing blame. Steam has caused issues with other (even non-Corsair) USB devices. Because it scans them.

There have been some reports, in fact, of disconnects only happening when Steam is running. Now, that's not, by all means, universal. A number of folks have issues without Steam running. Is it "blaming" Steam? No. But Steam does seem to exacerbate the issue and cause issues where there were none without it.

Just facts.

All that being said I have managed to stabilize this a bit finally due to getting pointed in a direction from Nick at support. While this may apply to others I am using an X470 chipset. Turns out that the USB driver being used is a default from 2005 in the driver store for Windows, there is a driver update for the ASMedia USB 3.1 Hub Driver that isn't listed on Gigabytes website for my board, The driver version you want to look for is 1.16.38.1.

Some chipsets/USB controllers do seem to have more issues than others. And while I know it looks like it here, it's not universal, across-the-board. That's not to minimize it - it is a major issue that affects a large number of users, just not every user. Whether it's drivers or hardware or something in between isn't clear to me, personally. The internal Corsair team has a better handle on that.

Arc with what settings? Random colors? Direction? Speed?

4 inner leds static white.

12 outer leds Arc, color white, speed slow, clockwise.

But spiral rainbow also gave usb disconnects...

As said, I only believe this when I have experienced it myself as it was already told to be fixed with 3.12 which obviously was not the case.

So glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue but so disappointed on corsair. I live in a bit of a remote location where buying their products costs a bit more money than I should be spending. My H115i Platinum arrived today for a new build. Completely clean and new. Turn PC on for the first time and Rgb works immediately and looks good. Windows boots up and immediately sounds of a device connecting and disconnecting every 30 seconds or so. Install iCue. Open iCue and set what I need to. H115 showing perfectly. iCue tells me there's a firmware update for the cooler. I do it and as soon as it 100% successfully finishes it just stops working. Can't see my cooler in iCue anymore. The pumps Rgb is a very faint blue color. Did everything from plugging it in to a different USB port to even reinstalling windows but nothing helped what so ever. Really don't know what to do

Anyone had any luck getting compensation from Corsair? My issues started happening after my 30 day return window (last year!!) and I never had a chance to return it.

.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH GOD IT HURTS FROM LAUGHING.

To answer your question no. Haven't asked for any and I highly doubt they will do anything, nor do I want anything but devices that work as intended. And if this issue is "as intended" then we really need to educate people on what the words "as intended" mean.

I do think that the "Beta" team needs to be broken up and brought in house, seeing as they somehow missed something this big and the time frame it goes back to really makes me wonder how something like this was not caught as the hardware it is happening on is pretty widespread (I'm referring to the motherboards, cpus, gpus etc. not the Corsair devices here). That's not to say it isn't working fine for some, but the number of those it ISN'T working as intended for is growing.

And still no official response or acknowledgement of this issue. Why am I not surprised?

Edited by Waukeen

.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH GOD IT HURTS FROM LAUGHING.

To answer your question no. Haven't asked for any and I highly doubt they will do anything, nor do I want anything but devices that work as intended. And if this issue is "as intended" then we really need to educate people on what the words "as intended" mean.

I do think that the "Beta" team needs to be broken up and brought in house, seeing as they somehow missed something this big and the time frame it goes back to really makes me wonder how something like this was not caught as the hardware it is happening on is pretty widespread (I'm referring to the motherboards, cpus, gpus etc. not the Corsair devices here). That's not to say it isn't working fine for some, but the number of those it ISN'T working as intended for is growing.

And still no official response or acknowledgement of this issue. Why am I not surprised?

Has anyone attempted to move this discussion to Reddit as well, to broaden the userbase that would see the issue and respond? Seems like Corsair tends to notice and respond to people more on their official subreddit than in here.