Corsair Community

Commander Pro ... new project.

Monster.fx

Hi All.

I have new project in my mind .

I want connect Commander Pro or other Corsair link(with iCUE support) to WS2811 or other programmable led strips.

The led strip will be a meter or so long. Is it achievable?

Unfortunately with the Corsair LED strips I would have too much distance between one bar and another creating dark areas.

Thanks for all.

No information?

Nobody has ventured into a similar job?

If only Corsair made bars longer than 30cm.

Does anyone know what bars are the original ones?

WS2811, WS2801, ... I think it can be done.

Aura Sync is compatible with bars from 12V up to 2mt ... half of it would be enough for me.

Thanks.

The Corsair strips are WS2812B programmable LEDs. They also seem to be a bit lower current than most that you see on the market. It is possible to get the Lighting Node Pro to work with non-Corsair strips (as long as they are WS2812B strips) but you need to keep track of your current draw. 4.5A total is the max for the entire Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro.

No information?

Nobody has ventured into a similar job?

If only Corsair made bars longer than 30cm.

Does anyone know what bars are the original ones?

WS2811, WS2801, ... I think it can be done.

Aura Sync is compatible with bars from 12V up to 2mt ... half of it would be enough for me.

Thanks.

I agree I wish Corsair had a 60LED meter long strip w/ a meter long terminated cable to plug into the LNP for use in desk ambient lighting. I think people would buy this. I used a meter long 60LED ws2812 type strip and taped it behind my desk for ambient desk lighting. I to wanted something that had a more denser LED array.

Keep in mind the Corsair strips are not generic off the shelf. They are good quality that are Corsair branded, have magnets on them, as well as an idiot proof latch/keyed connector on it. The magnets are also for inside your case, though aren't helpful when you have a wooden desk ><.

The Corsair strips are WS2812B programmable LEDs. They also seem to be a bit lower current than most that you see on the market. It is possible to get the Lighting Node Pro to work with non-Corsair strips (as long as they are WS2812B strips) but you need to keep track of your current draw. 4.5A total is the max for the entire Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro.

Thanks for the reply.

So I thought this based on your information.

The Corsair bars are 30cm long and have only 10 LEDs, so a 1mt bar should consist of about 30 LEDs.

The bars exist from 1 to 5 meters.

For the whole project I should get to a maximum of 3m and making a mathematical calculation the bar request 1.5A per meter, so with 4.5A I should stay in it (eventually I would restrict it to 2m or cascade another Commander).

In addition to the Commander (which also runs fans, temperatures and more), I could try something cheaper than possibly in the future to match a Commander PRO? Maybe the Lighting Node Pro?

I have done it with 72 LED strips. Have a look at this thread.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174049

I see it:D: very cool.

How long is the strip? the animation goes at the same speed as the fans? is it synchronized or has a delay?

The 2mt that I should cover would be 60 leds.

Of course it would be much nicer to increase the density of the LEDs.

I see it:D: very cool.

How long is the strip? the animation goes at the same speed as the fans? is it synchronized or has a delay?

The 2mt that I should cover would be 60 leds.

Of course it would be much nicer to increase the density of the LEDs.

I bought strips that are 144 LEDs in a 1 meter strip. The LEDs are practically touching each other. The first strip I got was not good quality even though it was IP67 rated (waterproof, which are usually a bit beefier). It worked when I first plugged it in. Then I very carefully cut it in half. One half worked, the other half only partially worked. I ended up cutting that half up into several smaller sections - some 12 LEDs and some 18 LEDs. It is very hard to solder the wires onto the pads on the underside of the LED strip because they are right up against the next LED. Some of them didn't work after I connected them, and some did. It was just a crappy strip. Flexing it would make it cut in and out.

Then I took a chance on another strip that was IP67 (waterproof) rated. This one was much better quality. The LEDs are still practically touching but it was much easier to work with. When you buy generic WS2812B LEDs strips its a crap shoot. Some are really nice and some are junk. Here are the ones I bought.

Junk - ($10)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XK72GP9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice Ones - ($23)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DLYSH6U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And here are the JST SM connector whips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AHJMR4A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are what come on the ends of the LED strips. So I soldered a whip with a mating JST connector to the connectors that fit the Co-Pro / No-Pro LED ports. I got the Corsair connector tails by taking the cable the plugs into the manual button controller for HD fans (I happened to have 2 of them), and cutting it in half. If you don't have any of those, the part numbers are called out in this post.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=940070&postcount=1

Just be careful when you make up the cables - make sure you know which pins are +5VDC, Ground, and Data. Also, remember - if you take the +5VDC wire to the LEDs to the +5VDC on a SATA connector plugged into your system power supply (instead of the +5VDC pin on the Co-Pro or No-Pro LED port), then the current to power the LEDs is coming from your power supply via the SATA connector, instead of the Co-Pro / No-Pro. I think the SATA current limit is 4.5A so you should be OK. IIRC, the maximum number of LEDs on a port is 96. That is a firmware limitation of the Co-Pro and No-Pro, though now that Corsair is doing software control, maybe they can address more.

Here is a link to an old and long thread from June 2017 when this was first attempted. There are wiring diagrams, and a few build pics. It would be a good thread to read through before getting started. There are even some pics of an LED matrix that an old forum member was working with.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168504

Speed and Sync - Since I have 3 different types of Corsair fan in my rig, I can't use the LED patterns that chase from fan to fan because the patterns are not designed for fans with differing amounts of LEDs in them. Because I don't use Link or iCue to control my fans and LEDs, the way I have things set up is somewhat different than what can be done with Corsair programs. I won't get into all of that but what I do is just consider all the fans on a port one long LED strip with the total number of LEDs in the fans. Then I can do chases and sequential patterns. The program I use is called SIV, which is able to control Corsair Link products. You will see some SIV screen shots in the last link I posted.

Good luck and have fun!

Archived