Corsair Community

RM750i PSU tripping breaker?

DadouXIII

Hi everyone,

I recently built myself a new PC, it's still missing the GPU (going to be an RTX 2080), but the rest is there:

- Corsair 500SD RGB case

- Corsair Hydro i100 Platinum

- 32GB of Corsair RGB Ram 3200Hz

- i5 9600k

- MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

- 500mb Samsung 970 NVME

- 2TB SSHD Seagate FireCuda

- Corsair RM750i PSU

When I assembled it at first, I turned it on, installed Windows, everything was fine. I then turned it off, unplugged everything, and did some cable management.

Then I plugged everything back on, then turned on the button on the back of the PSU (not the computer power button), and bam, the lights went off in the room. I checked the breaker, and it had tripped. I turned the PSU off, flipped the breaker back on, and then again turned on the PSU, but this time everything was fine. I turned on the PC, everything was fine, it ran for hours, everything fine.

Then I turned it back off, unplugged everything, and went to sleep.

Next morning: more cable management, PSU on, and bam, breaker tripped again. Flipped it back up, turned the PSU on, and just like yesterday, everything went smoothly. The PC ran again for hours, no problem.

Strange considering my old PC with an older RM750 did not have this behaviour.

Important note, the breaker in my room is only 10 amps, but again, this was never an issue before.

I asked around on the internet as to what could be causing this, and from what people are guessing, the RM750i initial power influx is much stronger than the one from the RM750, which is drawing more than 10 amps, and causing the breaker to trip.

It does not happen the second time right after, because they are guessing that the capacitors are already halfway charged, which makes the PSU not necessitate such a strong initial influx the second time around, not tripping the breaker.

I then tried the PC in another room where the breaker is 16 amps, and everything went fine.

So I just wanted to get the opinion of the Corsair people. Do you think that this is what is causing it? Is 10 amps way too low for the RM750i? Is there somewhere mentioned on the RM750i manual the minimum recommended amps?

Or do you think the problem is completely different?

Thanks!

Are you sure you are reading the breaker right , a 10amp breaker is possible but there might be a possibility that you are reading the aic rating.

But if you are reading the breaker correctly and it is 10 amps, depending on the age of the breaker and what else is on the circuit, the inrush current could be the cause for tripping the breaker, According to Techpowerup the RM750 has an inrush current of about 29 amps this could easily trip a 10 amp breaker.

as to why its doing it now and not before you probably wont know, maybe you added a new lamp in your room or maybe the inrush current last a few milliseconds longer than the previous PSU, cant really tell you.

If you want to try to fix it you can have a local licensed electrician install a new breaker and depending on the size of wire he may be able to install a 15amp or 20amp breaker.

AFCI (Arc fault current interrupter) Breakers can be a nuisance but they have their purpose, if a psu actually cause an arc fault event than that is bad and a afci breaker will help prevent a fire, in no circumstance should psu cause afci breaker to trip from an arc. AFCI breakers will sometimes nuisance trip from brushed motors or compressors but this generally the only time this will occur.

Archived