Corsair Community

Asus P8P67 Deluxe won't work with 16 GB ram

David Cole

I have a 2600K cpu, Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard, Gigabyte 5770 vga card, Corsair AX850 psu - I'm undertaking a new build.

Following assurance in this forum and from the Corsair Memory Selector that the new CML16GX3M4A 1600C9B (cerulean blue) x4 module set of 16Gb Vengeance ram was fully compatible with the Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard, I bought the memory set.

However, after exhaustive testing I find that the board simply will not operate with more than 8Gb (x2 modules) of this ram set. Specifically, the memory fault light light on the board comes on, there is no beep, and the machine will not enter POST. It does not matter which slot or combination of slots you use, the additional ram is not seen and stops the POST.

I am using the latest (1850) BIOS for the motherboard.

Has anyone had this ram working with this board? Can I try anything else to get the additional 8Gb to work?

Thanks.

I have a 2600K cpu, Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard, Gigabyte 5770 vga card, Corsair AX850 psu - I'm undertaking a new build.

Following assurance in this forum and from the Corsair Memory Selector that the new CML16GX3M4A 1600C9B (cerulean blue) x4 module set of 16Gb Vengeance ram was fully compatible with the Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard, I bought the memory set.

However, after exhaustive testing I find that the board simply will not operate with more than 8Gb (x2 modules) of this ram set. Specifically, the memory fault light light on the board comes on, there is no beep, and the machine will not enter POST. It does not matter which slot or combination of slots you use, the additional ram is not seen and stops the POST.

I am using the latest (1850) BIOS for the motherboard.

Has anyone had this ram working with this board? Can I try anything else to get the additional 8Gb to work?

Thanks.

UPDATE -

I bought a new board and memory set. Still no joy with 16Gb using the Noctua heatsink and fan controller, but, I first tried a basic set up with the stock Intel heatsink/cooler, its fan plugged into the board, and the vga card and with these components the 16Gb/4 modules worked and were recognised.

If I could work out why the 4 modules worked with the Intel set up but not the noctua and fan controller, I could maybe fix the problem Any ideas please?

Sounds like the culprit is the common denominator - the CPU.

Thanks. Where does that take me? The CPU seems to be working fine. The difference is the heatsink/fan arrangement but I can't see why that would make a difference to the memory - particularly when the Noctua heatsink has been fitted to x2 different boards with exactly the same result.

• 2 weeks later...
The CPU seems to be working fine. The difference is the heatsink/fan arrangement

A CPU can seem to be fine even if the memory controller isn't. It may just be a matter of changing the way you attach your heatsink. Try to put a little more pressure on the two screws that are at the top of the heat sink. That way as it sags under weight it doesn't pull on the CPU itself. It's possible the pins responsible for memory function just are not making good enough contact with the CPU.

It may not be a bad idea to just pull the CPU to check for bent pins in the socket... Someone here has caught that issue a couple of times.:p:

Archived