The Corsair User Forums

The Corsair User Forums (http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cases (http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Replacing 800D Case fans+ Advice on my current fan setup. (http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110532)

vvilliamm 09-08-2012 12:14 AM

Replacing 800D Case fans+ Advice on my current fan setup.

I've purchased this case not too long ago. It looks great and amazing. The only problem I've experienced with it is the cooling. I understand this case was mainly built for a watercooling setup but i would like to make the best out of it.

Current Fans

2 Ultra kaze pulling air out attached to a h100
1 Corsair 120mm Fan

Back
1 Corsair fan pulling air out exhaust

Bottom
Corsair 140mm fan pulling air as intake

Why change the fan setup now?
My gfx card was overheating at first so I installed an ARCTIC COOLING Accelero on it. My temps are no longer reaching as high.. but still pretty high even with fan curve in evga precision x. It died on me after a couple of months later.

I bought a new gfx should be arriving in another week or so. During this time i would like to buy new fans to replace the default corsair fans. I'm hoping it would lower the temps in my case.

What i need
Advice on buying new fans to replace the corsair fans+adding new ones on the available slots. I know I can add one at the bottom hdd side case blowing at my hdd.. but i always thought that would be just pushing the air to the side of my case...

I prefer buying it from newegg/amazon since i have 2 day shipping for both.

Toasted 09-08-2012 07:56 PM

What GPU are you buying?

vvilliamm 09-08-2012 08:23 PM

Gtx 670 FTW 4gb with bp

peanutz94 09-09-2012 10:16 AM

Really even air cooling should not be an issue with as much room there is in this case. Yes, it was built to be water cooling friendly, but that's not it's main purpose.

With that said and from what you have posted in regards to your GPU, i suspect it was just an issue with it and not an airflow problem. Hence, it's death shortly after.

I wouldn't change anything until you get your new GPU and see what it's temps are like. I have a feeling everything will be fine with a new card.

Turnkeys 10-16-2012 07:46 PM

How did you manage to mount the 3rd fan next to the H100? Did you have to mod the frame? I'm looking for a solution that doesn't need a dremel.

JonathonM 10-20-2012 07:19 PM

I managed to fit the two stock H100 fans and a AF120 performance along the top. I also fit in two more SP120 high performance fans on the H100 for push pull. I have the stock 140mm rear fan set to intake by turning it around and the bottom as intake as well. My CPU doesn't go above 55C and my gpus don't go above 80C, even with the sapphire stock cooling. You might not have enough intakes for your outflow which would mess up temperatures, not to mention give you a slight negative pressure and a little more dust. Just my two cents

RAM GUY 10-23-2012 01:37 PM

Obsidian 800D is the only Corsair case I would actually have the H100 fans as intake. The problem is the high airflow of H100 fans when installed as exhaust. They will suck out so much air from the case, and leave close to nothing for the graphics card. This will also create negative air pressure which can heats up other components in no time.

wytnyt 10-27-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvilliamm (Post 601375)
Gtx 670 FTW 4gb with bp

wow,now thats a sweet card
sure wish i could afford one,bet you couldnt wait to strain it,if thats even possible.;):

CyBorg 11-16-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAM GUY (Post 609132)
Obsidian 800D is the only Corsair case I would actually have the H100 fans as intake. The problem is the high airflow of H100 fans when installed as exhaust. They will suck out so much air from the case, and leave close to nothing for the graphics card. This will also create negative air pressure which can heats up other components in no time.

Ok so I have an 800D and a H100i. If I use the H100i fans as an intake should I place them between the case and radiator so they are pushing air or is it ok to have them underneath pulling air through. Also is it recommended to get a dust filter for the top of the case using the H100i as an intake?

Ahtlon 11-28-2012 08:45 AM

I have also a 800D and H100i; I have a Corsair Af140 fan at the rear as intake; a AF 140 as intake at the bottom and the h100i as exhaust, also I am looking for a way to put the third fan at the bottom next too the psu, so that the bottom fans have maximum airflow and pressure.
If this is not enough you can place a 120 fan in the front bay, there some brands that sell these fan holders.
My EVGA GTX580SC stays idle at 39 Celsius and at load its 78/80 Celsius; I7 950 no over clock is at 38/40 Celsius in idle and load 61 Celsius,this with prime95 running for 1 hour and ambient at 20 Celsius.
So I am happy.
So take a look at the AF140 from Corsair; they are silent, good airflow and comes at a nice price, for push/pull look for the SP120 version.

RAM GUY 11-28-2012 07:53 PM

CyBorg,

It won't make huge difference between the two options. Yes, dust filter will definitely help.

CyBorg 11-29-2012 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAM GUY (Post 616229)
CyBorg,

It won't make huge difference between the two options. Yes, dust filter will definitely help.

Thank you for the answer. I actually just got my 360x120 dust filter in today and ended up getting an extra set of the stock H100i fans for a push/pull since the SP120's don't work with the fan controller. On an off topic note do you happen to know when Red Sleeved cable kits will be available for the 1200i? I can't seem to find any site that has them besides frozencpu.com and they charge a lot for shipping to Canada.

RAM GUY 11-29-2012 08:40 PM

Yes they will be available soon customer service has the part number for these cables and they will be put up on the web site soon. But if you need them sooner you can call our customer service and ask for PSU parts.

stratosrally 11-30-2012 12:13 PM

That's great news! Looking into the AX760i/860i as a replacement for my ageing HX1000W (not that it's failing, it's just so big I can't mount a fan next to it in the 550D I'm hoping to get).