Corsair Community

Install h110i on Maximus Hero XI - instructions conflict

Snatchface

Hello. Thank you in advance.

Corsair instructions advise to connect fan power to the pump headers whereas ASUS instructions advise to connect them to mobo headers.

Corsair instructions advise to connect pump to CPU_Fan and ASUS has a dedicated AIO Pump header. Even so in ASUS fan controls it does not acknowledge the AIO Pump header and only refers to the CPU Fan header. All very confusing.

You should connect to the CPU Fan header and go into the BIOS and disable Q-FAN control for the CPU Fan Header.

Enabling Q-FAN control for the AIO Pump Header will allow you to control the speed of any fan on that header. It's just a standard fan header that has control disabled by default and some marketing text to go with it.

You should connect to the CPU Fan header and go into the BIOS and disable Q-FAN control for the CPU Fan Header.

Enabling Q-FAN control for the AIO Pump Header will allow you to control the speed of any fan on that header. It's just a standard fan header that has control disabled by default and some marketing text to go with it.

That is confusing. Connect to CPU fan then disable CPU Fan? I'm not clear how that helps.

Disabling CPU Fan (or any other header) does not prevent the fan from running, it only prevents the speed control from functioning. The pump needs the maximum 12v (100% fan control) at all times. Different motherboard makers use different terms to describe this. "Disabled" is one of the more universal terms. Asus also uses "Full Speed" to describe the locked to 100% state. This prevents other Asus BIOS or fan tuning programs from attempting to change the speed of something it cannot (the H110i). On some coolers this is critical, but less so on the H110i. See below.

There are different types of coolers and different ways to connect them. Asus' manuals are always short in description and light on detail. Always look at the cooler's instructions, then compare it to how your motherboard functions. There are usually multiple ways to set most things up. So while you could put the cable from the H110i on AIO or W_Pump, it doesn't really matter on the H110i. That cooler takes it's power from the SATA power line and the motherboard connector reports a pump speed. If you were to put it on AIO or W_Pump, you would still need to stick a fan on CPU_FAN to prevent the boot error that occurs on all systems when that slot if empty. If you were to for some reason want to power the fans from the motherboard, then those could go on CPU/OPT and the H110i on AIO/W_Pump.

Gotcha. Problem #2.

Fans are plugged into the pump headers. Corsair Link shows the fans and fan speed, but no changes that I make in Link result in any change in fan speed. If I run, Balanced, Performance, or Max, fan speed doesn't change. Using Corsair 140ML kit.

Most likely you are falling into the user interface trap many people do (including me) when first using iCUE. Unlike most control applications where you click on the fan and then tell it what speed to run, iCUE works the opposite way. Go to the Performance Tab under the H110i cooler. First, click on the speed profile on the left (Quiet, Balanced, Extreme, or + to create your own). It will highlight yellow. Now go back to the fans/pump on the right and select the device(s) you want to run that speed. It will also highlight yellow. Now it should work. Note you cannot create a custom curve for the pump, but you can (and should) for the fans.

If this is not the issue, come back and we'll figure it out.

Archived