Corsair Community

a8v deluxe with corsair xms3200xlpro

crundy

I don't know about everyone else, but I've been having these strange kinds of problems with only 2 3200xlpro sticks in the Asus A8V motherboard. I also had these problems in the GigaByte K8NSNXP. I bought the A8V thinking the GigaByte board was the problem and now I don't know if it's the CPU or the RAM. The GigaByte would not run stable at 400MHz Dual-Channel. It would blue screen all over the place and Prime95 would bomb in seconds. The CPU and memory are running more stable in the A8V, but now I can't get Half Life 2 to run for more than a few minutes without locking up. I even tried dropping the mem to 333 which worked on the GigaByte to make it stable, but that didn't help here (I didn't try Half Life 2 on the GigaByte). It was woking fine on my old 2700+ platform and I moved all the components to the new 3500+ platform (mobo, CPU, and RAM) so I know it's not the video or sound card. Has anyone found a bad Athlon 64? If there was a small defect with the CPU, could it cause problems like this? What about the on-CPU memory controller? Should I just RMA the RAM and see what happens? I've been fiddling with this new platform for 2 months trying to get it to run stable and I'm at my wits end. Is it just me, or does it seem like hardware has gotten a lot less stable recently?

I don't know about everyone else, but I've been having these strange kinds of problems with only 2 3200xlpro sticks in the Asus A8V motherboard. I also had these problems in the GigaByte K8NSNXP. I bought the A8V thinking the GigaByte board was the problem and now I don't know if it's the CPU or the RAM. The GigaByte would not run stable at 400MHz Dual-Channel. It would blue screen all over the place and Prime95 would bomb in seconds. The CPU and memory are running more stable in the A8V, but now I can't get Half Life 2 to run for more than a few minutes without locking up. I even tried dropping the mem to 333 which worked on the GigaByte to make it stable, but that didn't help here (I didn't try Half Life 2 on the GigaByte). It was woking fine on my old 2700+ platform and I moved all the components to the new 3500+ platform (mobo, CPU, and RAM) so I know it's not the video or sound card. Has anyone found a bad Athlon 64? If there was a small defect with the CPU, could it cause problems like this? What about the on-CPU memory controller? Should I just RMA the RAM and see what happens? I've been fiddling with this new platform for 2 months trying to get it to run stable and I'm at my wits end. Is it just me, or does it seem like hardware has gotten a lot less stable recently?

I have been having the exact same issue as you, just a different Corsair memory (Corsair TwinX1024-3200LLPT). I too have both the A8V Deluxe Rev 2 and the GA-K8NSNXP-939 and have had nothing but headaches with both boards. See here for my issues with the Gigabyte board. The gigabyte ran prime95 just fine overnight with the memory settings suggested in this forum, but that's with two sticks of RAM only. With four sticks it would switch to DDR201. Then suddenly for no reason at all, it totally stopped booting up. So for now I have switched to the A8V. My issue is that Prime95 will fail the minute I run the Torture Test on this A8V. This is just with two sticks in slots 1&3. I will now try with 2&4.

The funny thing is, my A8V will run the Prime95 Blended Torture Test for 12 hours without a hitch. I have my 3200xl sticks in slots 1 and 3. I also went through one complete pass in Memtest+ v1.51 without a single error. How many passes is sufficient to declare the memory good? What kills me is now everything is flawless except the system freezes in Half-Life 2. Within a minute everytime I start the game. I think I will try installing a few different games and see how they do. One thing I realized was different this time is I installed the latest patches whereas my 2700+ box ran it unpatched. It just kills me because this is a fresh install and right off the bat I'm having these quirks that turn into month-long wild goose chases.

I believe three passes of memtest are sufficient but I asked the same question in my other thread. Also, I have read about these gaming issues elsewhere (I am not a gamer at all). One thing I noticed was some people in other forums recommended turning off fast writes to fix their gaming issues. I assume they are referring to the AGP fast write option in the BIOS but I am not sure. Try disabling that.

Can you tell me the bios settings you have set? The Dim Voltage should be set to 2.8 Volts with this MB. And can you tell me the make and model of PSU you have? And will your system run and pass http://www.memtest.org or Prime 95?

I have statically set 2-2-2-5 and 2.8V DIMM in the BIOS, everything else is set to MB defaults. The PSU is an Antec True430 (430W) that came with my Antec PLUS1080AMG case. Here is the remaining config:

Asus A8V Deluxe (PCB rev. 2.0) w/ 1009 BIOS

AMD Athlon64 3500+ 939-pin 0.13 micron

Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPT (2x 512MB)

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (built by ATI)

Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 (regular)

Asus DRW-1604P DVD Burner

Panasonic LS-120 Floppy

2 Maxtor HDDs 1x 45GB 1x 250GB Connected to Via SB IDE

Prime 95 runs for 12 hours with no errors. Memtest completes a full pass with no errors. Everything was working fine on the 2700+ platform (A7N8X Deluxe w/ TWINX1024-2700XL and AthlonXP 2700+) and the video and sound card from that system came over to this new system. I tried several different drivers from ATI including 4.9 which is what the old system ran. The only other difference is that I patched HL2 this time and left it unpatched on the old system. I even tried disabling the sound card to see if it still froze the game, so it's not the sound card because it did still freeze.

I'm thinking about installing several other games on the box tonight and see if they freeze as well, but I also have an issue with my DAW box that I need to work out. I've just had so many problems with this platform in many different configurations.

A bigger power supply? Holy crap! I never thought I'd see the day when 430W wasn't enough. Yes, the RAM is set to 2.8V. Also, I tried Warhammer Dawn of War and that game froze as well. I suppose I can pick up a bigger PSU at Fry's and see if that works. What is the typical power consumption of a platform like this nowadays (without the drives connected)? You think a 550W would work?

• Corsair Employee

Its not so much what the Max power is as it is what the sustained out put is.

In other words the sustained out put needed for your configuration just a quick calculation would be about:

CPU= 90-120 Watts

Memory= 24 Watts for 2 modules

Video Card= 90-120 Watts

Sound Card= about 35 Watts, but I am not sure as it will change with some of the settings if I remember correctly, you might check with Creative to be sure

HDD= 20-30 Watts per drive and add 10 Watts for 10K drives. Check with the driver maker to be sure.

CD/DVD= 10-20 watts Add 2-3 times that for a CD-R or DVD-R

So an average system not counting what the MB would use would need about 309 Watts max continuous power with 2 HDD's in a raid and one CD-Rom. You can add about another 20-40 watts for the MB it self. And most 400 Watt PSU's will have about a 300 Watt Max continuous out put with the bust at 400-430 watts.

There is a PSU configurator you can use at Houseofmobos.com under the Power Supply Section of that post that might help you.

OK, got me a spankin new Antec TrueControl 550. Hooked it all up so my video card was on it's own cable, HDDs shared a cable, and DVD+/-R shares with the LS-120. Fans are on the dedicated fan cables. Watched in the BIOS hardware monitor as I tweaked the output of the PSU just a couple hundredths of a volt over spec for each rail (nifty little feature, this TrueControl). Rebuilt to a fresh install of XP again (this time no updates or SP2, just SP1 and DirectX 9c). Loaded the latest drivers for every piece of hardware (mobo drivers from Via and Marvell sites, not Asus). This time around, Warhammer Dawn of War completed an entire Skirmish game without a hitch. Half Life 2, on the other hand, crashed about 3 minutes into the beginning of the game. I don't think it will let me run HL2 unpatched as that Steam garbage updates it for you automatically. Now I have to wonder, do I have a Half Life 2 issue, or a hardware issue? It seems to be the only software having a problem, but it ran fine on the old 2700+ box. I just wish I had an error code to work with... my head hurts...

• Corsair Employee
There are issues with HL2 and you would need to have the latest drivers and SP updates as I understand it. Also some MB/Video card manufacturers drivers are needed to ensure proper operation. I would try the drivers provided by the respective manufacturers. But I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that, but based on what you have posted I would suspect some other issue.

Archived