Corsair Community

32gb ddr3-1600

Piratus

Hi,

First of all, congrats to Corsair for their excellent products.

I use Corsair memory modules & PSUs for a long time ago.

Secondly, I have a question and it not might be as simple as it looks.

I am aware of the Corsair memory configurator.

Good job!

But it doesn't answer to my question (because this motherboard is too new).

I have a MSI Z87 Mpower motherboard and a Core i7 4770K.

Did you test any 32GB DDR3-1600 kit on this motherboard yet?

I was never interested in overclocking.

I just want a rock-solid 32GB memory kit.

all the best

You can use any of the Vengeance PRO kits or even the Dominator Platinums, or Vengeance 32 gig kits and they would run just fine on that MB.

Even though the boards are new , not much has changed as far as memory is concerned.

Hi,

Are you sure about that?

I don't see any 32GB kit tested by Corsair on the previous Z77 chipset.

Also I got an answer from the Intel tech support: even for 3770K and 4770K we do not guarantee any 32GB memory kit running above 1600MHz.

So back to the main question: did Corsair test any 32GB DDR3-1600 kit on the Z87 chipset and Core i7 4770K?

I know most of the 16GB kits work just fine.

But 32GB DDR3-1600 seems to be too much even for a 4770K.

all the best

Are you sure about that?

I don't see any 32GB kit tested by Corsair on the previous Z77 chipset.

Absolutly positive. The Dominator Platinum, Vengeance , and Venageance pro series are all compatible with the latest intel chipsets.

Also I got an answer from the Intel tech support: even for 3770K and 4770K we do not guarantee any 32GB memory kit running above 1600MHz.

Correct! They cannot guarantee speeds ABOVE 1600mhz because that is the max speed officially supported by the memory controller in your CPU. . You can run faster memory with overclocking ,and with overclocking there are no guarantees. But capacity isn't an issue.

Absolutly positive. The Dominator Platinum, Vengeance , and Venageance pro series are all compatible with the latest intel chipsets.

Correct! They cannot guarantee speeds ABOVE 1600mhz because that is the max speed officially supported by the memory controller in your CPU. . You can run faster memory with overclocking ,and with overclocking there are no guarantees. But capacity isn't an issue.

Thank you for the answer.

But capacity IT IS always an issue.

I can run without any problem 2 x 8GB DDR3-1600 with CAS9 and 1.5V on Z87.

I CANNOT run 4 x 8GB DDR3-1600 with CAS9 and 1.5V

I got some stability only with CAS11 and 1.6V

That's why I've asked if Corsair did test these 32B kits if they work at the advertised timings and voltages.

all the best and thank you again for your time.

I can run without any problem 2 x 8GB DDR3-1600 with CAS9 and 1.5V on Z87.

I CANNOT run 4 x 8GB DDR3-1600 with CAS9 and 1.5V

I got some stability only with CAS11 and 1.6V

That's why I've asked if Corsair did test these 32B kits if they work at the advertised timings and voltages.

Then this is the result of the extra load placed on the board or the meory controller. Not a fault of the memory itself. The kit is matched at the factory and is guaranteed to run at 1.5v. As long as your other hardware is playing nice, there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to run a 32 gig kit with that CPU.

You can test each stick individually with memtest to be sure you don't have a failing module and go from there. You might also pull the CPU to be sure you don't have any bent pins in the socket. Just one will cause this sort of issue too.

What kit do you have and do you have the latest BIOS?

You can test each stick individually with memtest to be sure you don't have a failing module and go from there. You might also pull the CPU to be sure you don't have any bent pins in the socket. Just one will cause this sort of issue too.

What kit do you have and do you have the latest BIOS?

I've tried a few Corsair Vengenace/Dominator 16/32 GB kits.

All the 16GB kits worked out of box.

All the 32GB kits didn't run at the advertised timings and voltages.

I got the best results with CMY32GX3M4A1600C9 (Vengeance Pro).

But only with CAS10 and above 1.55V

And I've tried them all on two different Z87 motherboards with 2 different 4770K processors.

all the best

Have you tried to enable the XMP profile? Or are you just setting them manually.

The Vengeance pro is optimized for the 3rd and 4th gen chipsets, so I'm not quite sure why you r having troubles with multiple kits with multiple boards/cpu's?

Really , no one else has posted any other sort of compatibility issues as of yet. Iguess thats why this has me scratching my head.

Have you tried to enable the XMP profile? Or are you just setting them manually.

The Vengeance pro is optimized for the 3rd and 4th gen chipsets, so I'm not quite sure why you r having troubles with multiple kits with multiple boards/cpu's?

Really , no one else has posted any other sort of compatibility issues as of yet. Iguess thats why this has me scratching my head.

I am talking about the XMP profile.

All the 32GB kits run just fine with the default JEDEC profile (1333MHz CAS9 1.5V)

None of them run at 1600MHz at the advertised timings and voltages.

Honesty, I was sure about that from the very beginning.

With 4 memory modules there is always an extra CPU load.

The "workaround" is to raise the voltage and/or to loose the timings.

All the 32GB kits run stable with CAS11 and 1.6V

None of them runs stable at the advertised timings and voltages.

all the best

What peanutz94 is asking and you are not answering is this:

Are you setting the settings manually or did you try and load setup defaults and then enable XMP?

I've tried everything.

With XMP I get crashes after a few minutes or I cannot even boot up.

With CAS11 at 1.5V I get errors in MemTest.

With CAS11 at 1.6V all the 32GB kits run stable.

Tried with CML32GX3M4A1600C10, CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 and CMD32GX3M4A1600C9

all the best

There is just no way you could have had that much trouble with that many kits. In fact I would bet a pay check that says you got two faulty MB's or a problem with the BIOS's before i would bet on that many kits being faulty or not running at their rated specs. It's possible that a future BIOS update could fix this.

There should be no need loosen the timings. And voltage adjustments ,well, if you need to raise voltages that is a result of your MB/CPU, not the memory. So being ticked that these kits are not running at rated voltages is a moot point.

Have you been in contact with MSI at all?

There is just no way you could have had that much trouble with that many kits. In fact I would bet a pay check that says you got two faulty MB's or a problem with the BIOS's before i would bet on that many kits being faulty or not running at their rated specs. It's possible that a future BIOS update could fix this.

There should be no need loosen the timings. And voltage adjustments ,well, if you need to raise voltages that is a result of your MB/CPU, not the memory. So being ticked that these kits are not running at rated voltages is a moot point.

We always recommend Corsair memory modules & PSUs to our customers.

As I said from the very beginning, we like the quality of the Corsair products.

But quality and marketing are two different things.

So back to the main question: Did you test any 32GB DDR3-1600 kit on MSI Z87 Mpower motherboard?

Instead of a simple NO, I got all kind of "advices".

I told you from the very beginning that the answer is not as simple as it looks.

Not even Intel guarantees any 32GB DDR3-1600 kit to run properly on 4770K:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75123/

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) : 32 GB

Memory Types : DDR3-1333/1600

Our tests verified the Intel statement:

All the 32GB kits worked out of box at 1.5V and 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24 (JEDEC profile).

None of the 32GB kits worked properly using XMP at 1.5V (1600MHz 10-10-10-27).

Some kits (Vengeance Pro & Dominator) got stability with 1.55-1.60V keeping the advertised timings.

Other kits (Vengeance) got stability only with 1.6V and 11-11-11-30.

Yes, a future BIOS update from MSI and ASUS (we tested 4 motherboards from these manufacturers) might improve some things.

But I bet they won't improve ALL the things.

32GB DDR3-1600 (and above) out of box is this "gambling".

all the best

I told you from the very beginning that the answer is not as simple as it looks.

Not even Intel guarantees any 32GB DDR3-1600 kit to run properly on 4770K:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75123/

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) : 32 GB

Memory Types : DDR3-1333/1600

Did you click on the little "dependnt of memory type"button ?

Max memory size refers to the maximum memory capacity (in GB) supported by the processor

Is all it says, and which your CPU meets. So that is not the issue. It says nothing about Intel not guaranteeing 32GB kits to run stable.

So back to the main question: Did you test any 32GB DDR3-1600 kit on MSI Z87 Mpower motherboard?

If your kit or MB doesn't appear in the memory finder then ,no, those kits would not have been tested with that specific MB. They have been tested on various other MB with the same chipset, so they would still be compatible.

Right now the only ones I could see that they might have tested with that board (that is if they test that board at all) would be the Vengeance Pro series since they are optimized for the new chipsets.

http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-product-family/vengeance-pro-series-memory/vengeance-pro-series-32gb-4-x-8gb-ddr3-dram-1600mhz-c9-memory-kit-cmy32gx3m4a1600c9.html

Compatibility

Intel® 3rd and 4th Generation Core Processors

Did you click on the little "dependnt of memory type"button ?

Is all it says, and which your CPU meets. So that is not the issue. It says nothing about Intel not guaranteeing 32GB kits to run stable.

Not quite.

That "button" is for the entire text line: "Max Memory Size".

All the Core i5/i7 Gen2/Gen3/Gen4 processors support up to 32GB RAM, so nothing new here.

Many people don't understand that "dependent on memory type" note.

In a few words:

32GB DDR3-1333 are officially supported.

16GB DDR3-1600 are officially supported.

32GB DDR3-1600 are supported only in certain conditions (depending on their density/timings/voltage).

Please get in contact to Intel tech support for more details.

Right now the only ones I could see that they might have tested with that board (that is if they test that board at all) would be the Vengeance Pro series since they are optimized for the new chipsets.

That's right.

I got the best results with those modules.

32GB DDR3-1600 10-10-10-27 with a minor voltage bump (1.55-1.60V)

all the best

Archived