The Corsair User Forums

The Corsair User Forums (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/index.php)
-   SSD Firmware Update (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Neutron XT 223.57 GiB on linux (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161694)

metatron 08-28-2016 06:41 AM

Neutron XT 223.57 GiB on linux

OK, I have 2 of these Neutron XT SSDs in a remote server that I would like to update the firmware for.
I can't take them out or put them in Windows machines. Worse: I would have to install a VM or buy Windows just for this, since I don't use it anywhere (anymore).

Is there a way to update these SSDs from within linux on shell?

I bought them a couple of months ago, in one buy, but it turns out they don't match in firmware, one of them is actually really old. This is bad for RAID purposes etc.
I can provide # smartctl -a output to the corsair techs if needed.

TIA

Technobeard 08-28-2016 05:03 PM

We don't have a Linux updater.

Different firmware isn't necessarily a bad thing. One could have a newer firmware because of a BOM change and not a functional change. Also, I wouldn't recommend updating firmware remotely simply because if the worst case scenario happens and the drive is bricked, you could be now running on a degraded (or dead) RAID.

metatron 08-28-2016 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technobeard (Post 869266)
We don't have a Linux updater.

Different firmware isn't necessarily a bad thing. One could have a newer firmware because of a BOM change and not a functional change. Also, I wouldn't recommend updating firmware remotely simply because if the worst case scenario happens and the drive is bricked, you could be now running on a degraded (or dead) RAID.

Seriously, I've been updating firmware for hundreds of HDDs and SSDs in total the last ~15 years. Not one has been bricked by the procedure. Most could be done headless/remotely using either KVM or a mounted iso, or SandForce software etc.

So, are you saying that if I want to update firmware, I would have to install Windows solely for that purpose alone?

Technobeard 08-28-2016 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metatron (Post 869269)
Seriously, I've been updating firmware for hundreds of HDDs and SSDs in total the last ~15 years. Not one has been bricked by the procedure.

I didn't say it was a likely scenario, just a possibility.

Quote:

So, are you saying that if I want to update firmware, I would have to install Windows solely for that purpose alone?
Please see my previous post.

What firmware versions do you have - and which exact Neutron XT 240 GB part numbers are you using in that system?

metatron 08-29-2016 06:45 AM

1:
Device Model: Corsair Neutron XT SSD
Firmware Version: SAFC01.1

2:
Device Model: Corsair Neutron XT SSD
Firmware Version: SAFC02.2

I omitted the last 2 digits of the serialnrs for privacy reasons ;)

Technobeard 08-29-2016 12:36 PM

What's the full part number on each drive? CSSD-XXXXXXX

I removed most of the info citing your privacy reason, although there's nothing private in the serial numbers.