Corsair Community

Striker extreme

ronnieburns

Hi guys. I am gonna be upgrading to a quad core pentium on a striker extreme mobo. I want to run some ddr 1066 memory but I am reading a lot of horror stories about the system not posting becuase the default ram voltages are too low. Can anybody tell me which memory I can use that WILL work straight out of the box without having to flash the bios from floppy or any other hassle like that. I have looked at corsair and OC with a Z on the end memory and seen probs with both the OCwith a Z on the end stuff is the OC with a Z on the end 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8500 1066MHz SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel DDR2 memory. I dont know if thats gonna be stable and work right away, Or will it work with one stick to let me into the bios to change the voltages? I would basically like to know what ram to buy that will not give me any trouble, I dont mind if its corsair or OC with a Z memory.

Anyone got an answer please?

Also sorry to talk about another brand in here if its not allowed I apologise, I am not sure about the rules here :)

yeah its the voltage that bothers me. Can anyone tell me of any ddr 1066 memory that boots fine without any bios updates when you build your machine and switch on for the first time with a striker extreme? I have heard lots of horror stories about the board not even posting because theres not enough voltage on that very first cold start.

Anyone?

Or are there any alternative boards that run the quad core pentium extreme editions with proper stability?

There are No 1066 modules that are on the market that will work at 1066 out of the Box as its not accepted by any MB just yet, maybe by the end of the year.

Yeah mate I know they dont work at 1066 out of the box, I basically need to know which dimms will post so I can then enter the bios and increase the voltage, then I can go to windows and update the bios to run at 1066. I just need to know what dimms will let me get past that first system startup so I can update the bios then run the memory at 1066. I know it can be done becuase my mate runs ddr 1100 at full speed on this board, U just need to get the right bios.

So which dimms of ddr 1066 will let me post so I can enter the bios to increase voltage.

Corsair will. There is not a set on the market that wont. Default Striker Voltage is 1.94v.

Thx for replying. How come I have seen lots of people on forums saying they cant get there board to post when using lots of dimms corsair and other brands, they say its because the voltage is too low so there first cold start is impossible. Have you seen ddr 1066 run on this board?

problem wit this board as i have one is that it does not like 4gb of memory... i have gone throught 3 sets of corsair sticks and will only work with 2-3 sticks not all 4. i get constant BSOD's and i'm still waiting for some advice or a new bios or something.... BTW it isn't just this board but nearly all the new N680i equipped boards are having the same problem... so much for stable!

• Corsair Employee
what modules and what are the settings you have set? And you know that you will have to run 4 modules at a lower frequency right? Example XM2S-6400C4D would need to be ran at DDR2-667 or DDR2-533 with 4 modules installed.

Thx for replying. How come I have seen lots of people on forums saying they cant get there board to post when using lots of dimms corsair and other brands, they say its because the voltage is too low so there first cold start is impossible. Have you seen ddr 1066 run on this board?

I just went thought this with Corsair PC2 8500 RAM. I have a new SE mobo and it shipped with v7.0 BIOS. Version 1004 supports the higher voltage RAM, but you can't reach POST until you flash, unless you use RAM that runs at 1.9v, like PC2 5300. I had to buy slow RAM just to get to the BIOS control panel in order to flash the BIOS.

I just went thought this with Corsair PC2 8500 RAM. I have a new SE mobo and it shipped with v7.0 BIOS. Version 1004 supports the higher voltage RAM, but you can't reach POST until you flash, unless you use RAM that runs at 1.9v, like PC2 5300. I had to buy slow RAM just to get to the BIOS control panel in order to flash the BIOS.

is there no way around this issue

You put one stick in, boot, change voltage than put the other in.

Dual channel may not boot with 1.94v, but single channel will.

I tried this with no success. It may work for some, but I really feel there is enough inconsistency in the SE motherboards out there that there is no 'one size fits all' solution to the RAM/voltage problem.

Archived