Corsair Community

Vengeance and Noctua NH-D14

TomGu

I am building a Sandy Bridge based system, using the 2600K processor, Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard, and Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9. Hoped to use the Noctua NH-D14 but Noctua tech support advises there will be clearance issues between the NH-D14 and the heat spreaders on the CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9. Is it optional to remove the heat spreaders from the Vengeance modules or does Corsair have another kit of memory with a lower profile to allow clearance between the memory modules and the NH-D14?

• 1 month later...
It is possible to move the fan out a little bit to gain clearance. Unless you are talking about hitting the fins, then you would have to do something different.

?? ?? ?? Is the sky blue? That was really helpful bro. :confused:

I'm in the same boat as it looks like the D14 is too big for the Vengeance and I don't want to change the orientation of the cooler.

• Corsair Employees
I cannot say to much but we are working on a solution for this, but for the time being I would just use a standard modules running at DDR1333 at 1.5 Volts until there is a better option

Is it optional to remove the heat spreaders from the Vengeance modules or does Corsair have another kit of memory with a lower profile to allow clearance between the memory modules and the NH-D14?

Don't remove the heat spreaders from the modules.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that the Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow and the Corsair A70 are all incompatible with Vengeance Memory on a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3. The overly tall heat spreaders on the memory get in the way of the fans/fins on the CPU coolers.

I had a Corsair H70 earlier this week but the pump was buzzing loudly so I returned it.

Corsair has given me alot of headaches this week :(:

My new system parts are sitting here in limbo until I can get a quality high end CPU Cooler that fits with this memory.

I may have to go with another set of RAM which is unfortunate.

It's odd to me how the only blame assigned here is being aimed at Corsair. We made memory that a large amount of customers wanted. This means tall heat spreaders.

Yet no one is faulting the cooler maker for making an enourmous 9lb CPU cooler or the MOBO maker for putting the memory slots so close to the CPU.

Unfortunately I didn't do the research required and I'm sitting here just finding out that my new D14 won't fit over my 16 gigs of Vengeance ... Doh !

My last box was an Asus M3N72D mobo with Patriot memory and the D14 fit no problem (I did have to move fans around) and allowed excellent OC'ing on air, so I went with the same cooler for this build.

Its not the fans that won't allow fitting it's the actual fins. I'm thinking if I trim off the bottom 3 or 4 rows of fins on the side by the ram it'll fit and I doubt that will adversely effect cooling.

Just pondering options right now, I'll let y'all know !

Ultimately my logic was that it's doubtful I'll ever have to RMA a cooling fan but may possibly have to with the memory and it'd be hard to return with the heat spreaders hacked off

If I have that cooler, I would have done the same. RAM's warranty are longer. It's the sensible thing to do.

But I avoided the issue. So I went with the H70. Corsair is happy. :D:

• 1 month later...
I have Asus P8p67 deluxe and the NH-D14, what do i have to do to get the ram to fit without D14 interfering with it? do i dremel the fins on the D14?

Don't know if you've considered it already, but if you have the ram already, you could try selling it (or returning, if you just bought it) and getting one of the new Vengeance LP sets when they start appearing in shops.

Don't know if you've considered it already, but if you have the ram already, you could try selling it (or returning, if you just bought it) and getting one of the new Vengeance LP sets when they start appearing in shops.

ok. well i got 4, 4gig sticks for 16gbs,

i bought them online in pairs of 2,

so i'll sell one pair and buy these..

Archived