Corsair Community

Carbide 740 Air connector LED SW

qrajuliocezar

I checked the manual... But don't have information about LED SW, i never see this connector in others cases... I no have idea where connect this... My motherboard have only (POWER LED, POWER SW, SPEAKER, HD LED, RESET SW, CHASSIS INTRUSION and POWER LED) but no have LED SW... I'm confused.

The LED SW is the hard drive activity LED. It is a dual +/- connector. For your motherboard, it goes in the lower left hand corner of the board pinout.

This is different than the POWER LED with separate positive and negative connectors that goes in the lower right corner.

Yes, it is the Hard Drive activity LED.

Alright, thanks very much for help c-attack =D

I don't believe that to be correct, the LED SW is for the front panel led switch (which seems to be used in conjunction with the RGB Fans).

The manual also seems to be incorrect, listing an HD LED connector when actually there isn't any

Yes, one too many LED and HD acronyms. I had to go get the 740 out of storage and they did replace the HD LED activity light with the HD120 LED fan switch on that case. Since neither one of us has the HD120 RGB fans, that connector serves no purpose. Apparently you can also leave it connected the HD LED activity light without harm, as I have unknowingly done for the last 5 months. Funny little thing in swapping from 540 to 740 and back. Sorry for the bum steer.

You don't connect it all, unless you have HD120 RGB fans and the connection should be on the control box, not the motherboard. I am not sure why they used that type of connector.

Here is another professional who ran into the same issue.

http://www.legitreviews.com/corsair-carbide-air-740-case-review_185791/4

"When setting up the front panel headers, we encountered an unusual header connection. There were the standard, Power LED, Power Switch, and Reset Switch. Missing is the HDD activity LED, but we found the LED SW header in it’s place. Checking the user manual, it says there should be a HDD LED but there is no sign of it. Knowing there is a LED button on the front panel, it makes me wonder what this could be for. We talking with Corsair, and they stated this is used to control the lighting on their new HD/SP fans, we hope to get some in so we can see how this works."

I haven't done it either, but the only thing that makes sense is a simple on/off switch for the illumination.

• 1 month later...
I can't believe that there is no hard drive activity light on the front panel. I was looking for it and wondering why I didn't see activity. I thought I had somehow mis-pinned the I/O header. So why do they include the HD LED 2 pin connector? An absolute negative for me. I would never have bought the case if I had known it didn't have one. So is this the new design for cases these days?:mad:

• 2 weeks later...
Sure glad I had bits and pieces laying around in my junk box. Scavenged a 3 pin fan connector and a red LED to make my own hard drive activity LED assembly. Knew the fan connector would have the requisite .1" pin spacing but was unsure if I could get it to fit on the motherboard adapter. Was fortunate that the HD activity pins were on the outside lower row of the adapter so that I could fit the fan connector on it and just have the extra third pin hang off to the outside where it wouldn't interfere with anything. I placed the LED into an open section of the front fan mount slots so I can see the activity through the mesh dust filter on the front of the case.;):

Sure glad I had bits and pieces laying around in my junk box. Scavenged a 3 pin fan connector and a red LED to make my own hard drive activity LED assembly. Knew the fan connector would have the requisite .1" pin spacing but was unsure if I could get it to fit on the motherboard adapter. Was fortunate that the HD activity pins were on the outside lower row of the adapter so that I could fit the fan connector on it and just have the extra third pin hang off to the outside where it wouldn't interfere with anything. I placed the LED into an open section of the front fan mount slots so I can see the activity through the mesh dust filter on the front of the case.;):

Post some pics!

• 4 months later...
Post some pics!

I am building on the 740 case now. I am making my own HDD led - rough draft in pic. The light switch is a momentary switch and pretty useless. Don't hook it too HDD led. It would only short it "momentarily" while you hold it and serve no other function as there is no "light" as the panel or instructions suggests. I am removing the switch in the pic and putting my HDD led there.

IMG_0135.thumb.JPG.f45459bee251bb2c9ea32559855ccaf0.JPG

IMG_0136.thumb.JPG.65fbb6ebd3ffd5340b507411543d60fc.JPG

Archived