Corsair Community

Corsair H100i v2 grinding noise, multiple replacements

djanthony93

Hi guys, this is my 4th unit and it came with the same exact issue from Amazon:

[ame]

[/ame]

Everything is set perfectly, two of them also gave me CPU fan error but the AIO was working fine. Are they defective or is my motherboard failing? The noise is coming from the water block, is that sure?

Well, I am afraid this is a common complaint, but four in a row seems like pushing the odds pretty far. You likely have it set up right, but there are always two things to check when it does this.

1) On a H100iv2 or GTX, make sure the pump head is getting a 100%/PWM/12v signal from motherboard. Do not try and tune the pump like a fan. All controls must be done from Link. To that end, does the noise change when you toggle back and forth between the Quiet (low) and Performance (high) pump modes?

2) Tilt the case 45 degrees one way or the other. Does the sound change? This does not sound like air bubbles to me, but it is hardly a perfect science. Usually you will get some whoosh and gurgle noise to go along with bubbles, but it is an easy enough thing to try.

If you are still willing to to work with Corsair, perhaps someone can aid the process. Go ahead and start a support ticket now, just to get the ball rolling. Two CPU fan errors are not great either. That usually suggests a problem with the device itself. If you want to check the motherboard header, move the H100i v2 lead to a different one. Something has to be on CPU fan to boot, but you can run a case fan lead (or even one of the radiator fans) to CPU fan for now to bypass the boot error. You still need the header connected to the H100i v2 to be at 100%/disabled, etc.

1) I've set the q-fan controller both disabled or pwm-turbo

2) Even putting the case in 180 degrees doesn't help at all

The second unit did that noise for the first 30 min then it stops but when I turn it off and then power it again it will start making noises and so on.

1) Yes, keep in "disabled" or Full-Speed (Q-Fan) for Asus.

2) I was afraid of that. It didn't sound like bubbles to me either.

This is not how water coolers are supposed to work and I think you have more patience than me. I probably would have jumped ship two coolers ago. However, I would still recommend sending in the ticket and hopefully someone from Corsair reads this and can try and make this better. Regardless, submitting the ticket does not commit you to a course of action and you can drop it and go a different direction if you like. But you do need a ticket for someone from this side to help you along.

How about the Quiet/Performance Pump speed toggle? You are not giving up anything by slowing the pump down to 2000 rpm, in fact I would recommend you keep it there even on an already quiet cooler. I am curious if the noise is mostly mechanical (sound changes with pump speed) or has a different root cause (does not change with speed).

• 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employee
I have the exact same issue. Did you ever figure out a resolution other than going with another brand?

How long have you had the cooler? If you have had it for a while now and its still producing the noise described above, I'd suggest that you get it replaced via RMA. Your cooler has a warranty from us, I say take advantage it and get a new unit.

May 2017. The noise only lasts for a minute or two after waking the system up from sleep. If I start gaming the noise goes away.

Have you checked the settings for the fan header that the cooler is attached to and made sure that it's at 100%/full speed? I'd suggest you double-check that in your BIOS and make sure that any fan control software that you may be running (like that from the mobo manufacturer) doesn't override the settings.

Especially since it goes away when you start gaming since increasing the CPU temperature would increase the voltage to the CPU Fan (based on typical default fan curves).

Might have solved the issue actually, turns out the CPU fans were running in DC mode vs PWM in the bios

This shouldn't matter if the DC voltage is at 100%/maximum. However, if it solved it, great and sometimes I recommend you put it on PWM anyway to cover glitchy BIOS auto-detect sensors or overly active "smart" fan systems that might momentarily adjust the voltage. If your board has a "disabled" setting, this usually does all of the above.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I had this same grinding noise issue with my Corsair H100i Platinum edition. I have my radiator in the front of my Meshify C mini but I had the hoses on the low end. I just reinstalled it with the hoses at the top and the problem went away. I think that pump must have had some problem with pumping up hill if you will. Anyway it worked for me. Good luck.

***edit*** So the sound came back after a day or so. This time I used the Corsair Link software to set the fans to silent and now the sound is gone again. I'll report back if it comes back.

Archived