Corsair Community

Corsair 500r Front Audio Headphone Crackling

eagle132

I built my new desktop last weekend using a new Corsair Carbide 500r White case, as well as a Corsair HX750 PSU (love the brand!). The case is sexy and very functional, a great combo, yet I am having one small issue.

When I plug my headphones into the front audio jack, I get a crackling or static. However, the crackling can only be heard when there's no music playing and I am doing something. By doing something I mean either moving my mouse, scrolling a webpage, opening a program- basically anything that requires ssd/hdd use. I've read up as much as possible on this oddity, and I can only guess that there is some sort of interference that is being picked up by the HD Audio cable. Its a very annoying issue since I was planning on using my headphones with the computer most of the time!

It is also probably important to note that I have updated all drivers, and if I plug my headphones into the audio jack in the back of my PC there is no crackling (the port that goes directly into the motherboard). Also, my mouse and keyboard are wired, and the crackling occurs whether or not my back speakers are plugged in or my monitor is on. I have tried rearranging my cables to give the HD Audio cable as much room as possible but it is more or less impossible not to have it touch anything.

Here are my specs:

Asrock z77 exteme6 Mobo

i5-3750k CPU

Noctua nh-d14 Heatsink

EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW GPU

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB RAM

Crucial M4 256GB SSD

WD Caviar Black 1 TB HDD

Corsair HX750 PSU

Asus 24x DVD Burner

I have submitted a tech support question to Corsair about this, but figured I would post it here while I waited.

Thanks for any help! I really want to get this issue resolved.

Interesting, so you think it is a hardware defect? How hard is it to replace the front i/o panel?

I don't see a straightforward way to pop off the panel by just eyeballing it.

I know that some cases have this interference issue, but I've never heard of it with a 500r case, which leads me to believe that it may indeed be a defect. I'll look into requesting the RMA I suppose.

Once you create the case let me know the case number I will see it gets taken care of.

Thanks for such quick and useful customer service! I submitted another ticket but this time requesting an RMA for the front panel.

My case number is 4911859.

Hopefully this fixes the issue. Is there a guide anywhere to replacing the front panel?

Please check your case in TSX we have sent the directions to get a new I/O sent to you.

Thanks so much! The replacement part is on the way. Customer service doesn't get much better than that!

I'll update this thread after I receive the part and install it which should hopefully fix the problem.

And thanks to the other two very helpful people that gave me tips as well!

Archived