Corsair Community

AX860i won't power on with GPU connected

jdhcon

New build (1st time as well) with Asus Maximumus IX Code motherboard, Asus GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card and Corsair AX860i PSU. Motherboard powers up fine when GPU is not connected to PSU, but doesn't power on with GPU connected. Was using CableMod sleeved cables and switched to Corsair provided cables to see if problem was with cables. No luck with either cable.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

This is my first build so when I saw two power connections, I used two power cables to connect video board to PSU. When I opened my old PC, I saw one power cable with two end connections to video board. Guess the PSU has a fail-safe that shuts it down when installed incorrectly.

Does it make a difference what type of cable to use? I had the CPU power cable already connected. The GPU has a six-pin and an eight-pin power connection. When I use two power cables to PSU, it would start and then shutdown. When I replaced with one power cable with multiple connectors, system powered up fine. This was the way my old Alienware PC had the GPU connected.

Yes, at least I assume it does, but I have never tried to use the wrong cable.

The ones for the GPU have PCIe written on them and for the CPU it's CPU.

What each GPU needs varies from GPU to GPU so you would need to post links to the actual GPU specs for me to sensibly comment.

Be careful not to burn your graphics card, the 8 pin cable for the CPU does not work the same way as the 8 pin PCI cable for the GPU. For cablemod, to recognize the 8 pin cable for the CPU can separate into two 4 pins. And of course your cablemod must be compatible with your psu

Archived