Corsair Community

Link 4 Service has stopped working

Trueboss345

I checked the Reliability Monitor for any issues regarding my custom built PC and noticed that there are multiple Critical events regarding Corsair Link service has stopped working. This happens when i try to shut down the PC normally. This has been going on for a while now, but I noticed this happening more often after I updated Windows to Fall Creators Update. It's been spamming my Reliability Monitor. Any ideas why a typically triggered shutdown could cause this error?

Unti2tled.thumb.png.e6d18fb967b20481bd4b51136fc1b870.png

Untitled.thumb.png.4cd88f5889dd0f78a4edd872d7ce281d.png

• Corsair Employee

I'm going to give you possibly the worst advice you've ever received from someone ostensibly supposed to be giving you tech support:

Ignore it.

As long as the Corsair Link software is otherwise functioning normally, and is only crashing when Windows tries to shut it down, I'd just ignore it.

I am ignoring it. But to see that occuring every day , it bothers me and disturbs my OCD. I would prefer if I could have a clean reliability history. It must either be the way how Windows handles its shutdown/startup , or something within the Link program. For now i don't mind , but could you please reference this to the developers so they'll take note of it ?

Maybe enable the debug logging ... that'll write a detailed log file that maybe you can post/send to Corsair Dustin. You never know ... maybe the log will show that it's something easy. If nothing else, the dev team will have the log so that, when they have time, they can investigate.

I can, but honestly it's such a minor issue I don't know when or even if they'll get to it. We have to prioritize bugs that break functionality.

Maybe enable the debug logging ... that'll write a detailed log file that maybe you can post/send to Corsair Dustin. You never know ... maybe the log will show that it's something easy. If nothing else, the dev team will have the log so that, when they have time, they can investigate.

Here's that log file. According to the reliability monitor, the most recent one happened at 11/18/2017 4:40 PM

logs.zip

Hmmm ... no exceptions in the log file. Maybe also check Application Event Log for an error at that same time (around 16:40:18) from the .NET Runtime. The details would look something like the following:

Application: IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException

at IAStorUtil.SystemDataModelListener.ProcessSystemDataModelChanges()

at IAStorUtil.SystemDataModelListener.LoadSavedSystemState()

at IAStorDataMgr.EventRelay.<Start>b__12_0(System.Object)

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()

at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

I looked for event logs under Applications , i couldn't find one that you mentioned. Maybe i am looking in the wrong place? However i did find other errors but they are from an old version (10/19/2017 7:44:41 PM):

Faulting application name: CorsairLink4.exe, version: 4.8.2.1, time stamp: 0x598c467c

Faulting module name: PrecisionXServerHooks.dll_unloaded, version: 6.1.8.0, time stamp: 0x594221f8

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00005583

Faulting process id: 0x24f8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d3494aa4ba6f09

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\CorsairLink4\CorsairLink4.exe

Faulting module path: PrecisionXServerHooks.dll

Report Id: c7a1f4ed-5bf2-4eb9-8f07-166065a6bab0

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

And then I found another similar one under Information category:

Fault bucket 129599499487, type 5

Event Name: CLR20r3

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: CorsairLink4.Service.exe

P2: 4.9.1.23

P3: 59e5f3d1

P4: System.Management

P5: 4.7.2556.0

P6: 59b83606

P7: 8a

P8: 51

P9: PSZQOADHX1U5ZAHBHOHGHLDGIY4QIXHX

P10:

Attached files:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3894.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_CorsairLink4.Ser_8bc6a3343f2b6c6ec669a2251dd169574a35838_ca2d05a4_19083c0f

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: a241b484-8d3f-461b-935d-c76020e7fe09

Report Status: 268435456

Hashed bucket: 4a4cf4c8d7586994ae6738f7f6335583

Unfortunately, what you posted doesn't really tell us much except that it crashed. A stack trace (which will look like my example) will tell us exactly where it crashed and that's exceedingly useful for root cause analysis. For .NET applications, there usually will be a stack trace in the event viewer as a separate event, with a source as ".NET Runtime", around the same time.

So ... I got nothin'.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to do a little experiment. I went to Windows power options > Choose what the power buttons do > Change settings that are unavailable > Turn off Fast startup. Now aside from that, every time before I shut down the computer, I right click on the Corsair system tray icon and choose Exit. I've been doing this for about 2 weeks now. And there has been a difference! I only see it occuring twice during the past 2 weeks, probably because I forgot to shut it down via context menu.

So instead of letting Windows handle quitting the program, I have to do it manually. And maybe also that fast startup was the reason why I've been getting those errors. Now that I've narrowed the problem (or so I think) can the developers do something so that it can shut down properly with Windows?

• 2 months later...
Yeah so I have had fast-startup turned off for a few months now. My reliability monitor has come clean. I'm using the latest version of Link now (4.9.5.25) I have seen no problems occur. So it wasn't until then I recently turned Fast-startup back on, and then later my computer just randomly shut down. Couldn't tell if it was the program causing it or the setting with Fast-startup, but it was really odd.

Yeah so I have had fast-startup turned off for a few months now. My reliability monitor has come clean. I'm using the latest version of Link now (4.9.5.25) I have seen no problems occur. So it wasn't until then I recently turned Fast-startup back on, and then later my computer just randomly shut down. Couldn't tell if it was the program causing it or the setting with Fast-startup, but it was really odd.

Hi, I created an account just to say thanks! I have been having the same issue (4.9.5.25) and I can confirm the solution that fixed it for me was turning off fast startup under windows / power options.

Archived